Glastonbury 2012 - anyone else been/going?

Guest xploit

I thought I was the saddest person nearby.

On the Saturday night of the festival weekend we camped at Ashcombe Farm in West Pennard. We did a leisurely tour of the perimeter of the site which took four hours. Taking in all the sites of Gate D, deer and cornfields in the West car parks, the Pilton Hilton, Worthy Farm and the lanes past Shangri-La.

Saturday night was a downpour but we kept dry in the pub. Sunday we had the tent dried out before it was packed away and had a great trip up Glastonbury Tor.

Would definitely do it again in a fallow year just to get the buzz of pitching the tent in the Vale of Pilton.

We went down to see a mate in Devon a couple of months back, and on the way back to London we took a detour to climb the Tor and have a nose around Glastonbury town. Driving through Pilton gave me that 'Glasto butterflies' feeling!

Glad I managed to get my annual pilgrimage in, even in a fallow year!

A couple of weeks ago, we spent a few days down in Glastonbury camping.

Went up to the Tor, wandered around the town, and then on the Weds, spent a drizzley but very warm day down on the farm. Walking up to the Greenfields, the Stone Circle and 'getting on stage' at the Pyramid.

Had an amazing time, was glad to go, but have really missed the festival alot this year.

will be going soon, staying overnight too - but not in a tent B) where do u ask for permission to go onto the site ? didn't realize you could until I saw a few posts to that affect, hhhmmm that would feel odd, no? ...

As far as I have heard they're quite relaxed about it. It's a working farm obviously and you're not walking on a public right of way or anything... but as long as you are polite & respectful it sounds like they'll not mind too much about somebody walking through. It would be wise to nicely explain that you're you are just having a quick look around if you bump into anyone of course.

I think if you contact office@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk they will confirm if its convenient to visit.

We kept to public rights of way all round the site which take you through the middle of Pilton and Worthy Farm itself where we got a great view of the site.

Enjoy your trip. It is a beautiful place even when empty.

I didn't know there was a public route right through... Well then obviously that is fine. NB I'm not a UK dweller now but was there some sort of freeing up of access rights to rural land a while back?

Under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (CROW), the public can walk freely on mapped areas of mountain, moor, heath, downland and registered common land without having to stick to paths.

People across England now have approximately 865,000 hectares of land across which they can walk, ramble, run, explore, climb and watch wildlife as they are given the freedom to access land, without having to stay on paths.

The new rights, for which people have been campaigning for over 100 years, came into effect across all of England on 31 October 2005.

All the above is copied and pasted by the way. I was bored so just looked it up!

OS Map:

http://binged.it/PjwSLj

What Yoghurt is discribing is Open Access Land. There is none within the festival site (pan over to Glastonbury Tor to see how it's shaded)

There's a couple of Public Footpaths that skirt the edges - One that almost passes the farmhouse's front door & another to the North West from around Gates 5 & 6 to the back of JP stage.

However as Boris has said, they don't seem to mind as long as your respectful of the land & livestock and are aware of the rather large machinery. One time when I was there out of season, a farmhand stopped to ask me, very politely, not to go into a couple fields which of course I observed.

Take any litter home with you.

Visitors most common saying - "Hang on, is this where the x/y/z stall was?"

OS Map:

http://binged.it/PjwSLj

What Yoghurt is discribing is Open Access Land. There is none within the festival site (pan over to Glastonbury Tor to see how it's shaded)

There's a couple of Public Footpaths that skirt the edges - One that almost passes the farmhouse's front door & another to the North West from around Gates 5 & 6 to the back of JP stage.

However as Boris has said, they don't seem to mind as long as your respectful of the land & livestock and are aware of the rather large machinery. One time when I was there out of season, a farmhand stopped to ask me, very politely, not to go into a couple fields which of course I observed.

Take any litter home with you.

Visitors most common saying - "Hang on, is this where the x/y/z stall was?"

We parked at what would normally be the coach drop off. We had earlier rung the festival office to make sure that it was ok for us to go down and also the best way to get onto the actual farm. We walked down a path that would take you behind the JP stage, then along the bottom where you would pass the Vanity Van etc towards the Pyramid stage. The dance village was all wheat. Bizzare!

Remember that alot of the festival site itself belongs to other farmers, and one field that we walked up to actually had a sign saying it was private land and no tresspassers allowed.

We had to climb over a locked gate to get into what would be the Pyramid stage field,(the office had said that this was ok) but once we were in you could pretty much get anywhere,around the farm, however one of two of the fields were very overgrown, and a couple had wheat that was yet to be harvested so obviously these were off limits.

Best advice really is first ring up the festival office and make sure its ok that you can go. Respect the farm and the Eavis living quarters and also that of other farmers.

Interesting, though I doubt you'd be able to exercise your right during the festival without a ticket. If it is a right of way I guess they have to suspend it somehow during the fest,

I'd guess that's what they do now, but I also think they didn't use to. A mate of mine who knew the area simply walked in without a ticket via that route about 25 years ago, and about 20 years ago I bumped into a guy at the crossroads of the railway track and the main drag who'd walked in that way too - he was wandering around saying "where do I hand in my ticket?" :lol:

Possibly going on Saturday. Depending on the missus letting us stop! (she's fed up of me banging on about glastonbury) off to the tor as well seeing as I haven't been in a while and live so local I feel I owe a visit. I'll take some photos to share don't worry :)

Edited by JoeyT