Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

mayoral elections

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#41 eFestivals

eFestivals

the value of your god may go down as well as up

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,291 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Just seen in one of the tabloids that Dave Moron is planning on imposing mayors on the cities that voted no.

And isn't his consistency admirable? A union vote for a strike should be ignored because the turnout wasn't high enough, and a vote against an elected mayor should be ignored because those who voted voted the wrong way.

Isn't democracy great? :lol:

#42 lharris92

lharris92

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

But meanwhile they've said that turnout was about 25%, and as low as 10% in some wards (tho I've no idea how they know that without counting the votes?).

its when the polling cards are handed in when you get there to vote (the ones they send to your house to tell you where to vote), at the end of the day they will know how many people have walked through the doors to vote, therefore giving them an estimate of what the turnout was.

although those figures are shocking if accurate, compare it to other countries like France - for their presidential election first round over the country there was an average of just under 80% (78.9010% is the figure i worked out) throughout the country, with the lowest being 36%.

just got to work out a way to convince people to actually vote, but don't see how that will happen the way things have been the last few years.

#43 tonyblair

tonyblair

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

its when the polling cards are handed in when you get there to vote (the ones they send to your house to tell you where to vote), at the end of the day they will know how many people have walked through the doors to vote, therefore giving them an estimate of what the turnout was.

although those figures are shocking if accurate, compare it to other countries like France - for their presidential election first round over the country there was an average of just under 80% (78.9010% is the figure i worked out) throughout the country, with the lowest being 36%.

just got to work out a way to convince people to actually vote, but don't see how that will happen the way things have been the last few years.

maybe people need to feel there's something worth voting for...

the real pressing issues, global warming for example, are just being ignored by the main parties.. stupid twunts

#44 lharris92

lharris92

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

maybe people need to feel there's something worth voting for...

the real pressing issues, global warming for example, are just being ignored by the main parties.. stupid twunts

true, they will make it a part of their campaign then ignore it as they go back to their core values.

#45 Paul

Paul

lives in a field

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,957 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Online voting would boost the votes am sure.

#46 benc

benc

Fvieatsl Ferak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

in Edinburgh a man dressed as penguin receives more votes than the Liberal Democrats :D

#47 Yoghurt on a Stick

Yoghurt on a Stick

lives in a field

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,680 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

in Edinburgh a man dressed as penguin receives more votes than the Liberal Democrats :D

:sarcastic:

#48 pryce

pryce

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

would also boost voting fraud massively as well

#49 eFestivals

eFestivals

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,291 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hmmmm, I'm not entirely sure that making voting an easy thing to do would be a good thing (even with the potential fraud issues put to the side).

I've no wish to deny anyone a vote.

But if voting was made very convenient and easy to do, then I think it's likely that they'd be a greater number who voted who put very little thought into how they voted.

If a person has to put a bit of effort into voting then I'd say it's more likely that they'll have put a bit of effort into what they are voting for - and via that 'we the people' are more likely to end up with the most satisfying policy implementations.

If little effort is required to vote then we might end up with policies that seem appealing when they've had little thought put into them but which might be considered horrific when greater thought is put into the consequences of a policy.

Making voting easy carries with it a risk of making bad policies. I'm not sure the trade-off of greater participation would be worth it.

#50 lost

lost

Indifferent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

bristol yes to mayor?

#51 eFestivals

eFestivals

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,291 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

bristol yes to mayor?

oh, for fucks sake. :banghead:

#52 Ed209

Ed209

No one knows who they were or what they were doing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

15 Orangutans that look like Boris

#53 thesecretingredientiscrime

thesecretingredientiscrime

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Boris first by very small, Ken second, Jenny Jones third, Siobhan fourth, Paddick fifth, Webb sixth, BNP (now with less council seats then their acronymn) last.

Lot of suggestion that because of J.J/Siobhan polling that high, a lot of their second votes will edge Ken to the lead.

#54 Ed209

Ed209

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

One of the best things about last night was the BNP getting obliterated.

While by no means the sole reason for the decline, the BBCs decision to put Griffin on Question Time has been fully vindicated. It was definitely a watershed moment for the party

#55 tonyblair

tonyblair

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hmmmm, I'm not entirely sure that making voting an easy thing to do would be a good thing (even with the potential fraud issues put to the side).

I've no wish to deny anyone a vote.

But if voting was made very convenient and easy to do, then I think it's likely that they'd be a greater number who voted who put very little thought into how they voted.

If a person has to put a bit of effort into voting then I'd say it's more likely that they'll have put a bit of effort into what they are voting for - and via that 'we the people' are more likely to end up with the most satisfying policy implementations.

If little effort is required to vote then we might end up with policies that seem appealing when they've had little thought put into them but which might be considered horrific when greater thought is put into the consequences of a policy.

Making voting easy carries with it a risk of making bad policies. I'm not sure the trade-off of greater participation would be worth it.

I was thinking the same

#56 lost

lost

Indifferent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

One of the best things about last night was the BNP getting obliterated.

While by no means the sole reason for the decline, the BBCs decision to put Griffin on Question Time has been fully vindicated. It was definitely a watershed moment for the party

+1

I also think labour being in opposition rather than government helps, BNP voters were generally white working class types who blamed immigrants for taking all the local services, jobs and housing. Labour can now play the no cuts card and get those voters back on side.

#57 tonyblair

tonyblair

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Boris first by very small, Ken second, Jenny Jones third, Siobhan fourth, Paddick fifth, Webb sixth, BNP (now with less council seats then their acronymn) last.

Lot of suggestion that because of J.J/Siobhan polling that high, a lot of their second votes will edge Ken to the lead.

Boris is only 4 points ahead so far...

there's still hope...!

#58 lharris92

lharris92

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Boris is only 4 points ahead so far...

there's still hope...!

6.6% behind in the first vote after 9 of 14. going to be close considering all the tory areas have been announced on a whole.

#59 tonyblair

tonyblair

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

they (you know... them..!) seem to think it'll be very close depending on the second choices

#60 Ed209

Ed209

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

Some dude at YouGov has just called it for Boris saying his lead is now "bomb proof"