mayoral elections

Guest russycarps

who you voting for then? I'm voting for the independent woman in london.

she is absolutely lovely.

I'd love to introduce her to my mayoral ERECTION. Would love to POLL her BOOTH. Would love to PUT MY TICK IN HER BOX etc etc etc etc

Siobhan-Benita-008.jpg

Edited by russycarps

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read yesterday paddypower has already paid out on a Boris win.. Kens tax affairs seem to have damaged his campaign quite a bit. Up here we are voting if we want mayor and I'm thinking of voting yes just because its completely pointless voting under the current system.

Here in Bristol we have a referendum today, about whether want an elected mayor, or not.

Quite how the fuck the govt expect anyone to make any sort of informed choice about whether that's a good thing or not I don't know - because as yet there is no policy on what powers an elected mayor might have. That will only be decided after we've decided whether or not to give a single individual an unknown amount of power in place of a body of individuals.

But even without knowing what powers that mayor might have, the right choice is to vote against an elected mayor. Why should the ideas of just one elected person carry more weight than the majority decision of a number of elected people?

We are being asked to vote into power an elected dictatorship. Fuck that.

I read yesterday paddypower has already paid out on a Boris win.. Kens tax affairs seem to have damaged his campaign quite a bit. Up here we are voting if we want mayor and I'm thinking of voting yes just because its completely pointless voting under the current system.

Edited by russycarps

I don't understand it...

the main area where the mayor has any power is transport. When Ken is in charge, the fares are cheaper, the busses run more efficiently, central London's air is cleaner, etc etc

When Boris is in charge he has the opposite effect...? mainly cause he couldn't give a shit for any of it apart from his career

I saw Boris last week, I was getting off the train and he was surround by a bunch of camera men blocking my way to get through the gate so I gave up trying to go round them and walk straight through them whilst he was talking some pollocks.

I would vote for Ken (lesser of 2 evils) but he pissed me off still hen he agreed to the Astroria getting destroyed so I think I will go with Helene.

Here in Bristol we have a referendum today, about whether want an elected mayor, or not.

Quite how the fuck the govt expect anyone to make any sort of informed choice about whether that's a good thing or not I don't know - because as yet there is no policy on what powers an elected mayor might have. That will only be decided after we've decided whether or not to give a single individual an unknown amount of power in place of a body of individuals.

But even without knowing what powers that mayor might have, the right choice is to vote against an elected mayor. Why should the ideas of just one elected person carry more weight than the majority decision of a number of elected people?

I don't understand it...

the main area where the mayor has any power is transport. When Ken is in charge, the fares are cheaper, the busses run more efficiently, central London's air is cleaner, etc etc

When Boris is in charge he has the opposite effect...? mainly cause he couldn't give a shit for any of it apart from his career

We, the London public, despite thinking by a massive majority that the 50% tax rate should have stayed as it was, think that the best man to run our city is the man who did the most to create that objectionable policy. The man who is obsessed by buses but who never travels on one.

vote Boris!

I just received the following as a press release, so I thought I might as well post its contents here. Make of it what you will...

=============================

"New study on London Mayoral elections reveals who leads on youth engagement"

Following on from the successful #YouthVoteLondon event held at Ministry of Sound in April, organisers Bite the Ballot and UpRise Festival release their findings on the Mayoral candidates engagement with young people ahead of the elections. A full report is to be published later this month.

Over twenty organisations and institutions including colleges, youth media, youth-led and youth-focused organisations, community groups and charities took part in the study which revealed how engaged with young people each of the candidates have been during their election campaigns.

As youth issues became an increasing focus as part of the election campaign, candidates announced their own initiatives in order to secure the under 25 vote.

Independent candidate Siobhan Benita, who put young people at the heart of her campaign with her Youth Policy, said; "I want to give young people a real voice." She has also pledged to fund a Young Mayor of London and a Youth Assembly "at the heart of City Hall".

Liberal Democrat candidate Brian Paddick who championed the idea of bank-funded Youth Hubs and announced Duwayne Brooks would be his Deputy Mayor for Youth and Communities said "It's so, so important that young people vote, because politicians are very cynical people and only listen to people who they think they can get votes out of".

Labour's Ken Livingstone has promised to reinstate the Education Maintenance Allowance and speaking at the #YouthVoteLondon event said; "If every young person went out and voted, there would be more debate on those issues that effect young people".

The study looked at breaking the cycle of young people being disengaged with politics and politics being disengaged with young people and revealed some interesting results.

Of the 27 invitations to attend events, hustings, debates and interviews focused on the under 25's, it was found that Siobhan Benita had a 100% attendance record while Lawrence Webb from UKIP and Conservative candidate Boris Johnson had the highest rate for failing to respond or declining invitations. It was also found that no invitations were extended to the BNP candidate and that the party was repeatedly cited as not representing "a modern society" or the views of young people.

The investigation analysed the six remaining candidate's interaction with the participating organisations, and how each one came across in terms of knowledge, honesty, suitability for Mayor and commitment to youth issues.

The survey results revealed Lawrence Webb in sixth position with 0%, Boris Johnson in fifth position with 17%, Jenny Jones in fourth position with 49% with Ken Livingstone just ahead of the Green party candidate in third position with 53%. Brian Paddick took second position with 64%, with Siobhan Benita coming in at number one with 77.5%.

Michael Sani from Bite the Ballot said "It's clear from our recent events and rallies that young people are ready to engage in politics, but more support is needed from the decision makers to empower the youth, therefore showing them the value and impact of their involvement".

The full report will be published after this Thursday's election and the writers of the report hope to engage the new Mayor with their findings and put young people firmly on the political agenda.