Capitalism looking to space for new funds.....

Guest tonyblair

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accidently diverting an asteroid towards earth is gonna make BPs oil spill look like some spilt milk.

Space mining is totally innevitable and in theory I'm all for it, would much rather us fucking up unihabital balls of rocks, than making our earth one.

Edited by Ed209

Oh i agree with you there its more of the same but without the current world system going away, not much is going happen except for more poor to starve and lack adequate resources to lead a decent life.

But as we will be pretty much stuck within that system, this seems a better idea than making money from money and such. Seems a bit more noble at least (and I await the inevitable space war for control of new resources).

the human condition... "we're here, and we deserve our right to totally control and exploit everything we see

We need more resources, or we need to look at how we live our lives ... maybe we need less people, or at least stop the exponential increase of the global population. There'll be another couple of billion within the next 30 years or so. They won't just want feeding, they'll be consuming everything they can lay their hands on.

Nothing wrong with it in theory. I think the statement 'An upcoming Nasa mission to return just 60g (two ounces) of material from an asteroid to Earth will cost about $1bn' puts it all into perspective. This isn't going to happen in generations, if it happens at all. Those billionaires will be wasting their money, but then again what else you going to spend it on if you've got everything already.

We're no better or worse than any other animal. We're just too goddam intellegent for our own good. Without our advances in mining, technology and medicine we'd be subect to the same population laws as every other animal. Over population would be controlled by desease and competition for naturally occuring resources.

We figured out how to cheat nature's population controlers, hence why there's so many of us, and why we will now start spreading into space.

Its cool. I'm all for it.

Because no other species as the capability. But would any other animal given the same circumstances be any different?

Objective of a species: Survive and reproduce

At least we're finally (granted, in small numbers) starting to show some compasion and concern for our surrounding environment. Imagine if ants had the capabilities and brains of a human, selfish little fuckers be screwing everything up and they wouldn't good two shits