Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest tonyblair

Capitalism looking to space for new funds.....

100 posts in this topic

This was always going happen....

Still at least it shows the rich doing something positive than hedge funds and such and hoping to make money from money.(At the end of the day, we need more resources...)

Well I think this explains why India has a manned space programme. The buggers want to get up there to set up some corner shops.

Accidently diverting an asteroid towards earth is gonna make BPs oil spill look like some spilt milk.

Space mining is totally innevitable and in theory I'm all for it, would much rather us fucking up unihabital balls of rocks, than making our earth one.

This was always going happen....

Still at least it shows the rich doing something positive than hedge funds and such and hoping to make money from money.(At the end of the day, we need more resources...)

Oh i agree with you there its more of the same but without the current world system going away, not much is going happen except for more poor to starve and lack adequate resources to lead a decent life.

But as we will be pretty much stuck within that system, this seems a better idea than making money from money and such. Seems a bit more noble at least (and I await the inevitable space war for control of new resources).

I read this earlier and thought it sounds really cool, now when are we going to start terraforming mars?

Looks like Red Dwarf had the future nailed.

I don't see what's wrong with space mining. Even under another system we'd still want more resources for technology. It's not like we're fucking up an ecosystem by doing so.

the human condition... "we're here, and we deserve our right to totally control and exploit everything we see

We need more resources, or we need to look at how we live our lives ... maybe we need less people, or at least stop the exponential increase of the global population. There'll be another couple of billion within the next 30 years or so. They won't just want feeding, they'll be consuming everything they can lay their hands on.

Yep I don't see this as wrong either and would happen under any system when the resources run out

Nothing wrong with it in theory. I think the statement 'An upcoming Nasa mission to return just 60g (two ounces) of material from an asteroid to Earth will cost about $1bn' puts it all into perspective. This isn't going to happen in generations, if it happens at all. Those billionaires will be wasting their money, but then again what else you going to spend it on if you've got everything already.

someone once compared the human species to a cancer-like virus... where we outgrow our current habitat only to send cancer-spores (us) out into space looking for new environments to explore/exploit.

I read this earlier and thought it sounds really cool, now when are we going to start terraforming mars?

Still waiting for my Virtual reality computer game with added groinal attachment, thats what they really should be pouring money into.

Is it also not most animals condition. Not sure why we always think we are sooooo different.

I just hope I die way before they're able to record your personality and bring you back as a Hologram after you've died. The thought of not being able to escape life sounds horrific.

someone once compared the human species to a cancer-like virus... where we outgrow our current habitat only to send cancer-spores (us) out into space looking for new environments to explore/exploit.

We're no better or worse than any other animal. We're just too goddam intellegent for our own good. Without our advances in mining, technology and medicine we'd be subect to the same population laws as every other animal. Over population would be controlled by desease and competition for naturally occuring resources.

We figured out how to cheat nature's population controlers, hence why there's so many of us, and why we will now start spreading into space.

Its cool. I'm all for it.

We're no better or worse than any other animal. We're just too goddam intellegent for our own good. Without our advances in mining, technology and medicine we'd be subect to the same population laws as every other animal. Over population would be controlled by desease and competition for naturally occuring resources.

We figured out how to cheat nature's population controlers, hence why there's so many of us, and why we will now start spreading into space.

Its cool. I'm all for it.

I just hope I die way before they're able to record your personality and bring you back as a Hologram after you've died. The thought of not being able to escape life sounds horrific.

We are a disease.

Does Cancer do that, not sure it does, I've never heard of catching it from someone else.

A virus yes, but then again what is so wrong about that. Lots of animals do this, but don't hate themselves for it.

Does Cancer do that, not sure it does, I've never heard of catching it from someone else.

A virus yes, but then again what is so wrong about that. Lots of animals do this, but don't hate themselves for it.

no other species is wasting and polluting it's environment the way humans do...