Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Capitalism looking to space for new funds.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#1 tonyblair

tonyblair

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-17827347

is this the new version of quantitative easing?

#2 Purple Monkey

Purple Monkey

Ah herro prease.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

http://www.southpark...8/no-space-cash

Looks like Red Dwarf had the future nailed.

Edited by Purple Monkey, 24 April 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#3 LondonTom

LondonTom

Raging Alcoholic

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

This was always going happen....

Still at least it shows the rich doing something positive than hedge funds and such and hoping to make money from money.(At the end of the day, we need more resources...)

#4 Yoghurt on a Stick

Yoghurt on a Stick

lives in a field

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,740 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

The Clangers aren't going to like this development.

#5 Rufus Gwertigan

Rufus Gwertigan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Well I think this explains why India has a manned space programme. The buggers want to get up there to set up some corner shops.

#6 Ed209

Ed209

No one knows who they were or what they were doing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Accidently diverting an asteroid towards earth is gonna make BPs oil spill look like some spilt milk.

Space mining is totally innevitable and in theory I'm all for it, would much rather us fucking up unihabital balls of rocks, than making our earth one.

Edited by Ed209, 24 April 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#7 tonyblair

tonyblair

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

This was always going happen....

Still at least it shows the rich doing something positive than hedge funds and such and hoping to make money from money.(At the end of the day, we need more resources...)

just seems like more of the same to me...

the human condition... "we're here, and we deserve our right to totally control and exploit everything we see". Who would benefit from the 'extra' money? Do you think it'll be you?

We need more resources, or we need to look at how we live our lives ... maybe we need less people, or at least stop the exponential increase of the global population. There'll be another couple of billion within the next 30 years or so. They won't just want feeding, they'll be consuming everything they can lay their hands on.

The main purpose of this seems to be to postpone the collapse of the 'system', with a few lucky bastards benefiting from it (as usual)

(when the story first broke, a few days ago, the talk was of this enabling billions of dollars to be able to be pumped into the economy, which is why it reminded me of the whole quantitative easing scenario... that aspect seems to be not talked about so much now..?)

Edited by tonyblair, 24 April 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#8 LondonTom

LondonTom

Raging Alcoholic

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Oh i agree with you there its more of the same but without the current world system going away, not much is going happen except for more poor to starve and lack adequate resources to lead a decent life.

But as we will be pretty much stuck within that system, this seems a better idea than making money from money and such. Seems a bit more noble at least (and I await the inevitable space war for control of new resources).

#9 lost

lost

Indifferent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

I read this earlier and thought it sounds really cool, now when are we going to start terraforming mars?

Looks like Red Dwarf had the future nailed.

Still waiting for my Virtual reality computer game with added groinal attachment, thats what they really should be pouring money into.

#10 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

Elitist hipster supervillian

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

I don't see what's wrong with space mining. Even under another system we'd still want more resources for technology. It's not like we're fucking up an ecosystem by doing so.

#11 fred quimby

fred quimby

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

the human condition... "we're here, and we deserve our right to totally control and exploit everything we see

We need more resources, or we need to look at how we live our lives ... maybe we need less people, or at least stop the exponential increase of the global population. There'll be another couple of billion within the next 30 years or so. They won't just want feeding, they'll be consuming everything they can lay their hands on.

How wonderful that your second paragraph so sums up your first. :)

Is it also not most animals condition. Not sure why we always think we are sooooo different.

#12 fred quimby

fred quimby

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yep I don't see this as wrong either and would happen under any system when the resources run out

#13 Yoghurt on a Stick

Yoghurt on a Stick

lives in a field

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,740 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Nothing wrong with it in theory. I think the statement 'An upcoming Nasa mission to return just 60g (two ounces) of material from an asteroid to Earth will cost about $1bn' puts it all into perspective. This isn't going to happen in generations, if it happens at all. Those billionaires will be wasting their money, but then again what else you going to spend it on if you've got everything already.

#14 tonyblair

tonyblair

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

someone once compared the human species to a cancer-like virus... where we outgrow our current habitat only to send cancer-spores (us) out into space looking for new environments to explore/exploit.

#15 Purple Monkey

Purple Monkey

Ah herro prease.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

I read this earlier and thought it sounds really cool, now when are we going to start terraforming mars?

Still waiting for my Virtual reality computer game with added groinal attachment, thats what they really should be pouring money into.

I just hope I die way before they're able to record your personality and bring you back as a Hologram after you've died. The thought of not being able to escape life sounds horrific.

We are a disease.

Edited by Purple Monkey, 24 April 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#16 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Is it also not most animals condition. Not sure why we always think we are sooooo different.

Quite. Grow until you haven't got the resources to survive any more, mass population cull by starvation/illness/lack of shelter/fighting, then start growing again.

We just like to think we're better, and then get disappointed when we don't turn out to be.

#17 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

I just hope I die way before they're able to record your personality and bring you back as a Hologram after you've died. The thought of not being able to escape life sounds horrific.

How would they be able to record your personality? From other people's perceptions of you? Your perception of you?
Anything that isn't done from incredibly detailed analysis of brain chemistry wouldn't be you or your personality, it'd just be an imitation based on false perceptions. And that level of brain chemistry analysis certainly won't be achieved to that scale and that ease in our lifetimes.

#18 fred quimby

fred quimby

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

someone once compared the human species to a cancer-like virus... where we outgrow our current habitat only to send cancer-spores (us) out into space looking for new environments to explore/exploit.

Does Cancer do that, not sure it does, I've never heard of catching it from someone else.

A virus yes, but then again what is so wrong about that. Lots of animals do this, but don't hate themselves for it.

#19 Ed209

Ed209

No one knows who they were or what they were doing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

We're no better or worse than any other animal. We're just too goddam intellegent for our own good. Without our advances in mining, technology and medicine we'd be subect to the same population laws as every other animal. Over population would be controlled by desease and competition for naturally occuring resources.

We figured out how to cheat nature's population controlers, hence why there's so many of us, and why we will now start spreading into space.

Its cool. I'm all for it.

#20 tonyblair

tonyblair

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

We're no better or worse than any other animal. We're just too goddam intellegent for our own good. Without our advances in mining, technology and medicine we'd be subect to the same population laws as every other animal. Over population would be controlled by desease and competition for naturally occuring resources.

We figured out how to cheat nature's population controlers, hence why there's so many of us, and why we will now start spreading into space.

Its cool. I'm all for it.

it would be fine if we didn't leave a trail of devastation behind us for other species, plants, whatever to suffer because of us