Festival Number 6 - Portmeirion, Wales

Kowalski

Started to be a bit nervous about tickets never arriving so I've just called the booking company and tickets should be posted early next week- it's about time!

I've seen that Tim Burgess will be playing - which is cool as I thought he was only djing.

Primal Scream will be playing in exactly 2 weeks, I can't wait, it's been a year I haven't seen them, I need my dosis of Scream live! Bright if they play Shoot Speed / Kill light!!!!

If some people feel like meeting at the festival, it could be nice to talk about music (as long as it's not about Muse :P) and have a drink with efestivals people. What do you think?

Started to be a bit nervous about tickets never arriving so I've just called the booking company and tickets should be posted early next week- it's about time!

I've seen that Tim Burgess will be playing - which is cool as I thought he was only djing.

Primal Scream will be playing in exactly 2 weeks, I can't wait, it's been a year I haven't seen them, I need my dosis of Scream live! Bright if they play Shoot Speed / Kill light!!!!

If some people feel like meeting at the festival, it could be nice to talk about music (as long as it's not about Muse :P) and have a drink with efestivals people. What do you think?

My tickets arrived this morning.

We're driving down from Glasgow. Hoping to arrive early to get a decent spot for the big tent we're using. Which will obviously mean an early start. The info on the website's a bit contradictory, unless I'm reading it wrong - says the campsite opens at both 10 and 11 depending on where you look. With the park and ride being accessible from 9.

2 for 1 deal on weekend tickets here btw

https://lastsecondti...6F-57C074065302

That's a bit of a kick in the teeth, but I suppose it happens. Though it is perhaps extra annoying in this case as the tickets were supposedly tiered i.e. the earlier you buy the cheaper the tickets. Or so the theory goes. Personally if there was a No 6 next year and I fancied the line-up I'd now be inclined to hang off til the last possible minute before buying tickets. Which can't be good for the festival. Those with a long(ish) memory will remember Connect 2008 going down this route - there wasn't a Connect 2009.

Those booze limits are absurdly low, and have been revised downwards from infomation previously given on the site. But again, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - could be a condition of the license.

The 2 for 1 deal may imply that it's far from being sold out. It's quite strange, because when I booked in june, I really thought this festival was the kind to be sold out quickly, mostly with this line-up and in UK. I'm just not aware at all of people's tastes.

Probably if the event is quite successful, people will talk about it and next year, you won't have a last minute deal.

And if that's unsuccessful or they don't sell enough beer to cover the costs, it's quite likely that there won't be a n°2.

To be honest, I don't care much about the alcohol limit. I know many festivals (outside UK) where you can't enter with alcohol, it's part of the rule to buy it on the site. And you know they get money out of it which enables to get good bands.

What is a bit boring is to have to pay for those buses, timetables and other surprises that I imagine we may have when arriving...

Still, I'll forget it all when Richard Hawley starts to play (provided I've been able to reach the site on time, I should as well check how to go walking from Bangor...)

On side note (since there are some PS fans here) earlier this year I heard Primal scream were recording new album with a tour to follow in the winter

But I'haven't heard anything else, anyone knows if there's a tour planned for this winter ?

On side note (since there are some PS fans here) earlier this year I heard Primal scream were recording new album with a tour to follow in the winter

But I'haven't heard anything else, anyone knows if there's a tour planned for this winter ?

I don't know when the album is out, might not be until next year, but David Holmes has been putting the finishing touches to it. There are rumours that Alan McGee is about to restart Creation records again, so I don't know if the delay is due to PS getting back on board with Creation again or not.

So, any reviews?

From what I saw on the news and of the photos that have been published, it looked quirky and great. What was the reality?

I really enjoyed it, some of the stuff that went on the town was a good and the Welsh Choir was stunning. they had people in tears when singing you'll never walk alone for the 96.

The raves in the woods where great and so was the cafe del mar type thing going on by the beach and thats not usually my cup of tea.

only seen a handful bands, Primal Scream where good, New Order where outstanding and my favourite band I seen was Clock Opera, the stage that Clock Opera played couldn't seem to generate much of an atmosphere until they played sunday night and it was rocking.

It was really well organised from arriving at the car park it took 10 mins to queue for the shuttle bus and 10 mins to site and they dropped you off very close to the camping field, it was even easier getting out of there today.

My only complaint would be the amount of upper class muppets in hunter wellies

There's always a moment of doubt when about to leave home early one morning to go 1500km upper to a festival where people advise you to get wellies...

But then, when back a few days after, the reason why you did it seems obvious. One of the best festival I've been to: great bands, amazing sound, great logistic, no queueing, bands played on time, not crowded, nice place, no need to walk too much, good food. N°6 people did a great job and my concern about how it'd go just went away within the first moments.

Primal Scream were great, they played 3 new songs I think?! Bobby seems really in good fit and I hope the next album and tour will be good. Richard Hawley was very good, the new album is wonderful live! Pleasantly surprised by Jessie Ware, she may be big quickly. Eugene McGuiness seems to be a bit pretentious on stage but still, his show was fine. Among the best gigs, King Creosote was smiling during most of his gig and it's always good to know artists are having a great time too.

Not an expert of New Order, but I must admit it was really a good gig. I was thinking of some of my friends fans of them who would have enjoyed it so much. And I actually enjoyed it too!

I don't really know why but I happen to have heard lots of reggae music played by the DJ, which is fine but a bit surprising. After NO we were like 80 persons for this DJ... maybe more good electro would have helped people to stay late.

I wonder how Death in Vegas were, they played so early in my view...

Strange thing was really few people were viewing gigs at the i stage, wondering if people were only here for the big stage? I've seen some nice gigs there and due to the lack of people, the atmosphere was quite minimalist.

Number 6, see you next year (95% of chance)!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit of a tardy reply from me, but I agree with previous comments - very well organised festival, staff were excellent, amazing location, New Order were great (far better than in Hyde Park). Only negative points were - lack of camping space (we barely squeezed in, everyone seemed to have a massive tent, no sign of 2/3-mans or 1-man popups) and almost chocking to death on a curry during Death in Vegas (life flashed before my eyes).

Edited by tolywoly

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the following announcements are as strong I may have to give it ago this year, the Manics at the 02 in Dec 2011 was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Who are we thinking the other 2 headliners will be?

Thinking of this for the manics, camping in the middle of sept though...

Did they do day tickets last year?