Latest Festivals News

Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Dream Headliners

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
215 replies to this topic

#161 eFestivals

eFestivals

the value of your god may go down as well as up

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,964 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

I've only listened to Phsycho Killer and Once In A Lifetime. And I'm not making crazy judgments about the 80's thing, Wikipedia told me it was from 1981! Hahaha

twqo of their worst songs.

And I messed up with the date cos I fpor some strange reason thought the first song when you said the 2nd.

If you reccomend me what you consider to be their best few tracks to listen to then I might be able to form a better opinion.

Check out any of their albums before (but not including) Speaking In Tongues.

I particularly recommend Remain In Light and The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads.

Also, 'My Life in The Bush Of Ghosts' by Byrne & Eno.

I agree with what you're saying about moulding that sound as I believe Joy Divisions sound (drumming in particular) is quite reminiscent of the 80's, but synths aren't a sound I particulary enjoy so I wouldn't really hail someone for pushing that into the mainstream

TH used synths, but that's not really anything they're known for.

#162 Vieuphoria

Vieuphoria

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I really like Talking Heads. This is from childhood. The only reason i've loved them since I was very young is solely because of this...

Edited by Vieuphoria, 13 April 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#163 AcademicPistol

AcademicPistol

Milk Was A Bad Choice.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

i don't disagree that different bands influence different genres and people, but very few bands have introduced a whole new angle into contemporary music and then seen that used across just about every genre of contemporary music since as Talking Heads have.

It's possible that another band has done something of that magnitude since, but no band is coming to mind.

And if what I'm meaning there hasn't come immediately into your mind, then you're not even aware of how they've had that influence. But it's no coincidence that the four ex-members are some of the most highly rated "musician's musicians" around.

And if you really want to expand your mind with one of the most excellent albums of the last 30 years - which still sounds exceedingly fresh today - then I suggest you check out Bryne & Eno's "My Life In The Bush of Ghosts", where you get to discover the massive influence they've had with yet-another angle (a different one to the one I've talked about above) to the music that's come since.

Firstly off topic i appreciate your level headed response to my comments during your heated homophobic debate in another thread.

You clearly enjoy Talking Heads and their spin-off acts as do i and i will check out your recomendations (that i haven't heard yet) just to be clear i wasn't disputing the fact that they are a massive influence in many ways. I will probably be opening a proverbial can of worms here but i haven't heard of many bands calling upon Talking Heads as an inspiration.

Edited by AcademicPistol, 13 April 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#164 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

Elitist hipster supervillian

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,734 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Beat ya 49 of them!

42 myself.

#165 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,734 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Listen to their albums, not individual tracks. The obvious thing to say is to start by listening to Remain In Light I guess.

I love Fear of Music myself, that's the first album of theirs I got. Remain in Light is cracking as well though.

As for most inspirational band, I'd probably argue Oasis or Nirvana. The amount of bands that say "I picked up a guitar after hearing Nevermind/Definitely Maybe" is unreal

*snort of derision*
Neither of those bands had anything to do with creating a sound. Nothing. Nirvana may be the most famous grunge band, but they didn't inspire the genre, just w*nky post-grunge crap.

And if you really want to expand your mind with one of the most excellent albums of the last 30 years - which still sounds exceedingly fresh today - then I suggest you check out Bryne & Eno's "My Life In The Bush of Ghosts", where you get to discover the massive influence they've had with yet-another angle (a different one to the one I've talked about above) to the music that's come since.

Also a stunning album.

#166 Vieuphoria

Vieuphoria

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Nice! I've only seen 32 of them.

I've seen the same number as you... Well done us.

#167 eFestivals

eFestivals

the value of your god may go down as well as up

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,964 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

I will probably be opening a proverbial can of worms here but i haven't heard of many bands calling upon Talking Heads as an inspiration.

if you care to notice, I didn't actually say "inspiration", I said "influence".

But most would not know of the massive influence they've had. I'm guessing, but I'd put money on being correct, that you don't know how either.

#168 AcademicPistol

AcademicPistol

Milk Was A Bad Choice.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

if you care to notice, I didn't actually say "inspiration", I said "influence".

But most would not know of the massive influence they've had. I'm guessing, but I'd put money on being correct, that you don't know how either.

I know we have had the influence dicussion.

Maybe i should have put that bit on a new paragraph to be clearer that i was starting a new discussion.

#169 A_Hawky

A_Hawky

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

RHCP
SOAD
Talking Heads (Im 18, i know how good they are)
The Kinks (Very slim chance)
The Smiths (LAAAL)
Slipknot
Blink 182 (Despite being horrendous live)
Coldplay
Snow Patrol (Don't judge me)
Black Sabbath
Ratm
Metallica
Pixies
Pearl Jam
Foo Fighters
Stevie Wonder
Lionel Richie (WoooHooo What a feeling, Gotta admit that would be awesome)
Muse
Smashing Pumpkins
Kiss
Led Zep
Soundgarden
A7X
Blur
Arctics
KoL
Kasabian
The Courteeners (NME ;))
White Stripes
Off Top of my head :P I will no doubt forgot loads

#170 Bradders

Bradders

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

I've seen 50. I'm only 22 so it's pretty much just that I've seen all the modern bands on there, which does make an interesting point actually; I always complain that the lineup is predictable and I've seen everyone before, but even on a dream lineup I've seen 50 bands. Pretty tough job for Melvin when you put it like that.

#171 MAD HARRY 27

MAD HARRY 27

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

*snort of derision*
Neither of those bands had anything to do with creating a sound. Nothing. Nirvana may be the most famous grunge band, but they didn't inspire the genre, just w*nky post-grunge crap.

Okay they didnt CREATE the scene, but they were no doubt both huge cornerstones in it! The influence they had, not on the sound, but actually getting people to stand up and make some music is amazing, wether you like them or not, the boost that they gave up and coming musicians to form bands has likely only come close to similiar with The Beatles or The Sex Pistols

And concerning Nirvana off the top of my head:- Biffy Clyro, Two Door Cinema
Club, Kasabian are all bands that picked up instruments because of Nevermind. I wouldn't exactly call them W*nky Grunge?

#172 MAD HARRY 27

MAD HARRY 27

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

I've seen 50. I'm only 22 so it's pretty much just that I've seen all the modern bands on there, which does make an interesting point actually; I always complain that the lineup is predictable and I've seen everyone before, but even on a dream lineup I've seen 50 bands. Pretty tough job for Melvin when you put it like that.

I agree with this so much

#173 Vieuphoria

Vieuphoria

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Give up mate. He's got many years of knowledge and experience on you.

#174 Vieuphoria

Vieuphoria

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Club, Kasabian are all bands that picked up instruments because of Nevermind. I wouldn't exactly call them W*nky Grunge?

But Nirvana wouldn't have picked up guitars without Neil Young, REM and Pixies. And wouldn't have been signed without Soundgarden.

I don't think it's fair to say those bands you listed only picked up guitars because of that one album. That's just not true.

#175 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,734 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Okay they didnt CREATE the scene, but they were no doubt both huge cornerstones in it! The influence they had, not on the sound, but actually getting people to stand up and make some music is amazing, wether you like them or not, the boost that they gave up and coming musicians to form bands has likely only come close to similiar with The Beatles or The Sex Pistols

I don't believe that any one particular band is the reason someone has decided to pick up an instrument.

Influence in terms of sound is far more important. If The Beatles hadn't made it so huge then some other band would have instead. There were plenty of other terrible punk bands that could have become as famous as the Sex Pistols. Nirvana were the breakaway grunge band because of their image. Oasis got so huge because the world was ready to return to guitar bands. None of these bands did anything hugely innovative or original, they were just in the right place at the right time to make it huge. Without them, other bands would have taken their place and got the same reputation.

#176 AcademicPistol

AcademicPistol

Milk Was A Bad Choice.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

I've seen the same number as you... Well done us.

I believe we've won. :ninja:

#177 Whittick

Whittick

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

We should make a new heal/hurt for this.

#178 LEMON_WOLF

LEMON_WOLF

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Soundgarden
Kanye West
Radiohead

Would suit me

#179 MAD HARRY 27

MAD HARRY 27

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

But Nirvana wouldn't have picked up guitars without Neil Young, REM and Pixies. And wouldn't have been signed without Soundgarden.

I don't think it's fair to say those bands you listed only picked up guitars because of that one album. That's just not true.

Oh yeah I know, REM and the Pixies were equally Kurt Cobains main inspirations and yeah the scene they were in was already populated with bands like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc but I'm only talking from what I've directly heard! I understand the artists i'm seeing interviews with are from another era, IE. if it was the in the 90's i'd be hearing interviews about how Stone Roses are the most inspirational bands ever

And those bands have all actually said that they picked up a guitar directly because of that record

#180 jazz565

jazz565

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Nirvana (my dream headliner of all)
Queens of The Stone Age
Arctic Monkeys
Radiohead
Beastie Boys
Blur
Joy Division
Guns n roses (in there prime with slash)
Nine Inch Nails
Bob Marley
The Libertines
Depeche Mode
The Undertones (in their prime)
Pearl Jam
The White Stripes
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Rage Against The Machine
The Clash
Sonic Youth