Dream Headliners

Guest OneTwo

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only listened to Phsycho Killer and Once In A Lifetime. And I'm not making crazy judgments about the 80's thing, Wikipedia told me it was from 1981! Hahaha

If you reccomend me what you consider to be their best few tracks to listen to then I might be able to form a better opinion.

I agree with what you're saying about moulding that sound as I believe Joy Divisions sound (drumming in particular) is quite reminiscent of the 80's, but synths aren't a sound I particulary enjoy so I wouldn't really hail someone for pushing that into the mainstream

As much as I would like to indulge you with my opinions I won't because opinions are biased in this context but I do agree they are 'one of' the most influential bands of the last 40 years there is not 'one' band/artist that is more influential than everyone else, different things influence different people.

i don't disagree that different bands influence different genres and people, but very few bands have introduced a whole new angle into contemporary music and then seen that used across just about every genre of contemporary music since as Talking Heads have.

It's possible that another band has done something of that magnitude since, but no band is coming to mind.

And if what I'm meaning there hasn't come immediately into your mind, then you're not even aware of how they've had that influence. But it's no coincidence that the four ex-members are some of the most highly rated "musician's musicians" around.

And if you really want to expand your mind with one of the most excellent albums of the last 30 years - which still sounds exceedingly fresh today - then I suggest you check out Bryne & Eno's "My Life In The Bush of Ghosts", where you get to discover the massive influence they've had with yet-another angle (a different one to the one I've talked about above) to the music that's come since.

I've only listened to Phsycho Killer and Once In A Lifetime. And I'm not making crazy judgments about the 80's thing, Wikipedia told me it was from 1981! Hahaha

twqo of their worst songs.

And I messed up with the date cos I fpor some strange reason thought the first song when you said the 2nd.

If you reccomend me what you consider to be their best few tracks to listen to then I might be able to form a better opinion.

Check out any of their albums before (but not including) Speaking In Tongues.

I particularly recommend Remain In Light and The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads.

Also, 'My Life in The Bush Of Ghosts' by Byrne & Eno.

I agree with what you're saying about moulding that sound as I believe Joy Divisions sound (drumming in particular) is quite reminiscent of the 80's, but synths aren't a sound I particulary enjoy so I wouldn't really hail someone for pushing that into the mainstream

TH used synths, but that's not really anything they're known for.

i don't disagree that different bands influence different genres and people, but very few bands have introduced a whole new angle into contemporary music and then seen that used across just about every genre of contemporary music since as Talking Heads have.

It's possible that another band has done something of that magnitude since, but no band is coming to mind.

And if what I'm meaning there hasn't come immediately into your mind, then you're not even aware of how they've had that influence. But it's no coincidence that the four ex-members are some of the most highly rated "musician's musicians" around.

And if you really want to expand your mind with one of the most excellent albums of the last 30 years - which still sounds exceedingly fresh today - then I suggest you check out Bryne & Eno's "My Life In The Bush of Ghosts", where you get to discover the massive influence they've had with yet-another angle (a different one to the one I've talked about above) to the music that's come since.

Edited by AcademicPistol

I will probably be opening a proverbial can of worms here but i haven't heard of many bands calling upon Talking Heads as an inspiration.

if you care to notice, I didn't actually say "inspiration", I said "influence".

But most would not know of the massive influence they've had. I'm guessing, but I'd put money on being correct, that you don't know how either.

RHCP

SOAD

Talking Heads (Im 18, i know how good they are)

The Kinks (Very slim chance)

The Smiths (LAAAL)

Slipknot

Blink 182 (Despite being horrendous live)

Coldplay

Snow Patrol (Don't judge me)

Black Sabbath

Ratm

Metallica

Pixies

Pearl Jam

Foo Fighters

Stevie Wonder

Lionel Richie (WoooHooo What a feeling, Gotta admit that would be awesome)

Muse

Smashing Pumpkins

Kiss

Led Zep

Soundgarden

A7X

Blur

Arctics

KoL

Kasabian

The Courteeners (NME ;))

White Stripes

Off Top of my head :P I will no doubt forgot loads

I've seen 50. I'm only 22 so it's pretty much just that I've seen all the modern bands on there, which does make an interesting point actually; I always complain that the lineup is predictable and I've seen everyone before, but even on a dream lineup I've seen 50 bands. Pretty tough job for Melvin when you put it like that.

I've seen 50. I'm only 22 so it's pretty much just that I've seen all the modern bands on there, which does make an interesting point actually; I always complain that the lineup is predictable and I've seen everyone before, but even on a dream lineup I've seen 50 bands. Pretty tough job for Melvin when you put it like that.

Okay they didnt CREATE the scene, but they were no doubt both huge cornerstones in it! The influence they had, not on the sound, but actually getting people to stand up and make some music is amazing, wether you like them or not, the boost that they gave up and coming musicians to form bands has likely only come close to similiar with The Beatles or The Sex Pistols

And concerning Nirvana off the top of my head:- Biffy Clyro, Two Door Cinema

Club, Kasabian are all bands that picked up instruments because of Nevermind. I wouldn't exactly call them W*nky Grunge?