Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

At The Drive-In

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
177 replies to this topic

#21 Yellow_Fellow

Yellow_Fellow

one dimensional shtick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

ATDI aren't anti mosh, they're anti slam dancing. That's the stupid "flail your limbs everywhere and throw your body at each other" thing. Also since when has Dave Grohl been anti mosh?!

#22 Will-2609

Will-2609

Matt Bellamy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

ATDI aren't anti mosh, they're anti slam dancing. That's the stupid "flail your limbs everywhere and throw your body at each other" thing. Also since when has Dave Grohl been anti mosh?!

I think he was referring to Foo Fighters' iTunes festival gig, where Dave kicked a fan out for fighting in a mosh pit. He's not anti-mosh.

Edited by Will-2609, 09 April 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#23 Yellow_Fellow

Yellow_Fellow

one dimensional shtick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

Well yeah he's anti-dicking-around of course :P

#24 Mouseboy11

Mouseboy11

staying out for the summer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

I think he was referring to Foo Fighters' iTunes festival gig, where Dave kicked a fan out for fighting in a mosh pit. He's not anti-mosh.

He's done it at Reading too, he was telling all the fans to calm down. It went something like

"You guys are really killing each other out there!"
Crowd"woooooo"
Dave "No no, it's not good."

#25 Mouseboy11

Mouseboy11

staying out for the summer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

It's at around 2:30!

#26 Dan R

Dan R

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

That looks more like he's against people being crushed and crowdsurfing over them, and the iTunes thing was cos the guy was fighting.
Also i don't get how the lead singer of ATDI could be anti-moshing, considering thats the closest description i can think of what he does onstage.

#27 mrtourette

mrtourette

purple monkey dishwasher

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,594 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

He isn't, but he also has made reference to not liking slam dancing and preferring to see a crowd pogo instead.

#28 AcademicPistol

AcademicPistol

Milk Was A Bad Choice.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

Yeah they have stated that in numerous interviews and have been known walk of stage if moshing persists!

They prefer you to dance than mosh. I can definitely see moshing at leeds or reading though!

I have never been into moshing but I find it a bit strange that they want to control how the crowd enjoys their music.

#29 she bangs the drums

she bangs the drums

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Review of first gig back

http://www.nme.com/n...-drive-in/63144

Legendary emotional hardcore band At The Drive-In played their first show in 11 years in Texas last night (April 9).

The intimate Red 7 venue in Austin was packed to capacity with young Texans. A few hundred fans unable to get tickets literally climbed adjacent rooftops and treetops for a peak at the post-punk rock legends.

"Tell them who we are," said frontman Cedric Bixler-Zavala with a knowing smile as the band took the stage. "We’re At The Drive-In. We're from El Paso, Texas," guitarist Jim Ward exclaimed with pride as the band launched into 'Arc Arsenal' from the 'Relationship Of Command' album.

The knowing vocal exchange between Bixler-Zavala and Ward set the tone for the musical tension that pumps the heart of At The Drive-In's propulsive post-punk grooves; Ward's sing-scream backing vocals and choruses laying a foundation for Bixler-Zavala's melodic pop-influenced sing-along melodies.

"I was glad to see Cedric and Jim singing on the same mic like old friends because that seemed to be where the tension came from when they broke up," said super-fan Mike Scott of Austin. Perhaps surprisingly, the band's central creative force, guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, dialed down his typical stage charisma.

The wildest response came late in the set with the guitar rock of their crossover hit, 'One Armed Scissor'. "Thank you for your time, your patience and all your love," Bixler-Zavala said before the band blasted into 'Catacombs', the final track on 'Relationship Of Command'.

At The Drive-In were regarded as one of the greatest live band in the world for a period, before splitting in 2001. Last night’s show was the opening shot of a lengthy reunion tour that will see them play Coachella later, and hit the UK this summer for the Reading and Leeds festivals.

At The Drive-In played:

'Arc Arsenal'
'Pattern AgainstUSer'
'Chanbara'
'Lopsided'
'Sleepwalk Capsules'
'Napoleon Solo'
'Quarantined'
'Rascuache'
'198d'
'Enfilade'
'Metronome Arthritis'
'Pickpocket'
'Non Zero Possibility'
'One Armed Scissor'
'Catacombs'

#30 guitarbhoy1888

guitarbhoy1888

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

from the video they looked in top form

both visually and vocally !!

#31 Abbathehorse

Abbathehorse

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

At The Drive-In played:

'Arc Arsenal'
'Pattern AgainstUSer'
'Chanbara'
'Lopsided'
'Sleepwalk Capsules'
'Napoleon Solo'
'Quarantined'
'Rascuache'
'198d'
'Enfilade'
'Metronome Arthritis'
'Pickpocket'
'Non Zero Possibility'
'One Armed Scissor'
'Catacombs'

No Invalid Litter Department???!!! This is not good news for me

#32 The Mean Bean

The Mean Bean

First of the gang to die

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Nothing off Acrobatic Tenement :(

#33 rivalschools.price

rivalschools.price

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Man,i just cant wait for this.

honestly never thought id see ATDI live.

for all the critisim of bands reforming,Refused,ATDI and soundgarden are the three bands im looking forward to most in my reading/download trips this year.

#34 Dan R

Dan R

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

for all the critisim of bands reforming,Refused,ATDI and soundgarden are the three bands im looking forward to most in my reading/download trips this year.

Those three are up there in my top bands for this summer too! :D
Though the potential for a Refused/Soundgarden clash is an absolute nightmare D:

#35 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

Elitist hipster supervillian

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,354 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

I think it depends on the reasons behind a reformation, if it's for money, it can be shit. If it's because members are missing performing various songs, or want to do it together, it can be great.

Can't wait for Soundgarden.

#36 Vieuphoria

Vieuphoria

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

I'm so pissed off I won't be seeing Soundgarden this year. I've been so excited for the 2 years they've been reunited. Now when they book dates I haven't the money to go. So upset.

#37 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,354 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'm so pissed off I won't be seeing Soundgarden this year. I've been so excited for the 2 years they've been reunited. Now when they book dates I haven't the money to go. So upset.

It's OK, I'll go twice to make up for you :P

#38 Vieuphoria

Vieuphoria

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Your gloating makes me sad

#39 AcademicPistol

AcademicPistol

Milk Was A Bad Choice.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Those three are up there in my top bands for this summer too! :D
Though the potential for a Refused/Soundgarden clash is an absolute nightmare D:

Wrong thread for this i know but fingers crossed we will be ok, it could be a case of running from 2nd after Refused to see Soundgarden but what a couple of hours of music that will be :D

#40 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,354 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Your gloating makes me sad

Find money. Stop eating for a month, stop drinking, go round the street nicking money off tramps.

It's what I'd do.