SONISPHERE(KNEBWORTH) 2012 CANCELLED!

Guest Go_Go_Tonymon

The new articles on the website hints that efests knows about Soni being cancelled for reasons deeper then poor sales or whatever. I'd assume Neils big surprise is something to do with the reasons for its cancellation.

Glad I didn't buy tickets now, the lineup was a shipwreck but I'm surprised it got canned. You'd thinking cancelling something like that would be an even bigger loss maker then just running it with poor sales... which might be the point Neil is making lol.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that's what I was saying when I said it .... BUT ......

I was saying that I suspected that this year would be such a major fail that it would cause next year's to not happen - so I was actually spot on from one angle.

And knowing what I do that was still the most likely outcome until just a few days ago. It wasn't particularly the poor sales that killed it.

The "potentially not happening" was in reference to future Sonisphere Uk events, not for this year - sorry I should have made that clearer.

I disagree with the last point though, Download has had it's ups and downs even before Sonisphere was around, so no Sonisphere doesn't instantly mean Download is going to be even better, hell it was just last year people were slating Download and praising Sonisphere. Just goes to show how things can flip in a year.

But I think the headliners like SOAD, RATM, Slipknot etc.. aren't just down to there being 2 festivals in the UK - especially as most of the reunions were a worldwide thing - but down to the fact that bands are getting older and won't be around much longer. How much longer will Maiden/Metallica be trotted out to perform at a festival, because they're not going to be around forever, are they? I mean thinking about next year, who do you think they'll get as headliners with if there's no sonisphere, perhaps Maiden, but then who the year after...metallica again? Def Leppard? I honestly don't know where they'll go unless they continue to branch out, rely on reunions etc.. otherwise it'll just stagnate. Although arguably it'll be easier for them with no competition, because even if they have to branch out/rely on bumping bands up, with no competition people will be forced to accept it or choose to go to no festivals.

I do agree it could give him an easier job in theory, but I don't think it necessarily WILL mean he'll start booking amazing line ups every year - as I said they've had their ups and downs before Sonisphere. But obviously this is all speculation, we'll need to wait and see what the future holds!

Edited by kipper64

Without Soni there may be more bands available to put on a better line-up, but the other side of the coin is that if a major competitor is taken out of the picture then will there be any motivation to put on a better line-up? There will have times where the competition will have pushed both of them to chase a band harder or pay out more than they would have like to, and maybe that won't be the case as much.

I don't think the main problem with 2 similar fests is there being enough headliners, it's the bands under them which annoyed me. Bullet at Download almost yearly, Anthrax at Soni yearly and lot of other acts just playing the other 1 the following year and occasionly getting someone like Rob Zombie or N.I.N. who don't normally play UK fests. There's at least 20 acts I've yet to see play either Soni or Download that tour reguarly they could get but never did.

The problem there is that they're essentially owned by the same company, so do they pitch each other into direct competion or try and keep their identities separate?

it's clearly the case that Reading has decided to alter its identity to not step on Download's toes - that's been very obvious over the last ten years.

True (RATM & Metallica in 08 being an exception) which is why I think it could healthy for them to step on Downloads toes a little bit just so they don't get complacent I am not asking them change much just compete with a handful of Downloady acts.

It'll never move. If it does someone else will just start another festival on the same site and call it Reading Festival - and it will probably have a more legitimate claim to the 'heritage' (if there is such a thing) of Reading. The AFC Wimbledon to the new festival's MK Dons.

It won't move. Festival Republic bought the site, to ensure the site was securely theirs.

But it's funny how you say "If it does someone else will just start another festival on the same site and call it Reading Festival" - that's just about what Mean Fiddler did to acquire the Reading Festival from it's original owners in the first place.