Holiday!

Katster

Finally agreed on, and booked our 20th Anniversary holiday. After considering many options from montenegro, slovenia, italy, southern france, thailand, mexico, and a tour around the new mexico - california area, we found it fitting to return to the destination of our honeymoon. Las Vegas, I know its a haven of capitalist excess, and everything that is crass and loud and brash, but I regret not visiting the Canyon or the Hoover Dam, and we are both really looking forward to it!

We have booked a week at the Bellagio, which looks incredibly nice, and lets face it Mrs t8y deserves it after putting up with grumpy old me for 20 years plus!

It will be interesting to see how much the place has changed in 20 years, a lot of the hotels weren't even built when we first went.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can recommend winning $800 on your first night and using that to pay for your helicopter trip over the dam and landing in the canyon.

Getting a strip facing room is also worth getting if you're at the bellagio IMO.

Edited by TheGayTent

I can recommend winning $800 on your first night and using that to pay for your helicopter trip over the dam and landing in the canyon.

Getting a strip facing room is also worth getting if you're at the bellagio IMO.

duly noted!

I already have 1000 things planned!

duly noted!

I already have 1000 things planned!

I guess you are already familiar with Trip Advisor but just in case you are not it's worth going on to. It gives you a ranking of the top attractions, it's got a forum where you can glean information and ask questions etc. I go on to this site well before I go on a major holiday because it provides me with loads of information and adds to the holiday experience. Plus, if you've prepared a lot beforehand it means you don't squander time on holiday faffing about.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g45963-Activities-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

I guess you are already familiar with Trip Advisor but just in case you are not it's worth going on to. It gives you a ranking of the top attractions, it's got a forum where you can glean information and ask questions etc. I go on to this site well before I go on a major holiday because it provides me with loads of information and adds to the holiday experience. Plus, if you've prepared a lot beforehand it means you don't squander time on holiday faffing about.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g45963-Activities-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

yeah I spent ages on it on Saturday night, but thanks for the input.

Things we are going to do, hiring a car for maybe 3 or 4 days

canyon - hopefully the south rim "real grand canyon" rather than the tourist trap west rim, but its a trek.

valley of fire national park

red rock canyon national park

boulder city and the hoover dam

battlefield vegas (shooting range - full auto assault rifles and barrett .50 cal etc)

I am also quite interested in visiting a few nevada "ghost towns", they look quite eerie and interesting

And I am massively interested in just finding small towns with "mom and pop" diners, smokehouses and bars

So basically we intend to do more exploring during the days, and the vegas "thing" on the nights. I intend to spend at least one night doing the "dive bars" such as the Double Down, where their speciality cocktail is "a$$ juice" and they sell "puke insurance" for $20. And find some good live music bars with some good blues and rock acts on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Vienna and Bratislava ...crikey was it hot, didn't drop below 30 at the festival, it was a struggle!

Bratislava was great for drinking ....prices went up in Vienna but its a beautiful city

Dublin in August followed by Split in September coming up next

• 2 weeks later...

At lunchtime today, I'm flying to Australia for a three week adventure with my daughter who's living there. We will be driving the Great Ocean Road, flying to Darwin for a week camping in various National Parks in the Northern Territories & then across to the Queensland Coast for Great Barrier Reef, Daintree rainforest & then the Whitsunday islands.

Oh my, I'm excited!!

At lunchtime today, I'm flying to Australia for a three week adventure with my daughter who's living there. We will be driving the Great Ocean Road, flying to Darwin for a week camping in various National Parks in the Northern Territories & then across to the Queensland Coast for Great Barrier Reef, Daintree rainforest & then the Whitsunday islands.

Oh my, I'm excited!!

That sounds fantastic. Have an absolutely awesome time. 

Oh my, I'm excited!!

Sounds fab. Have a great time.

• 1 month later...

Me too. Immigration is one of the most uncomfortable and sinister places on earth. And as brits, we mostly believe in this "special relationship" between the US and UK. None of them appear to even be aware of the "special relationship" and most of them (in my experience) struggle to pinpoint us by accent (especially northerners) we have been mistaken for German, Austrian and Australian people in various parts of the US.

Just got back from Vienna and Bratislava ...crikey was it hot, didn't drop below 30 at the festival, it was a struggle!

Bratislava was great for drinking ....prices went up in Vienna but its a beautiful city

Dublin in August followed by Split in September coming up next

Dont know if you have been to Dublin before but if you are price sensitive Re drink stay the hell away from Temple Bar. In fact even if they are giving free drink away there dont bother.................God awful place IMO