Holiday!

Katster

Do you guys think Manchester - whitby - London - cornwall - south wales - north wales - Manchester is too far to go in just two weeks? I have put it in a route planner and its roughly 16 hours (direct) but obviously we will want to stop off to see things along the way and we need time to sleep and relax and enjoy the places we are visiting. The more i look at it the more i am thinking stick to the west side at the very least?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just get lost.....

:P

no, really... not sure why, but as I get older, getting a bit lost gets more appealing. We had a holiday in Cornwall years ago, and we caught a train from the north coast to somwhere (can't remember ...!) in the south, but we had 2 or 3 hours to kill, so we got off the train, we had no idea where we were, and just walked...

t'was lovely

Agree 100%.

I love getting lost in cities I haven't been to before. Just go outside the hotel and start walking!

T'is lovely

I went on a private coach trip to the races at Chepstow from Birmingham once. When it was time to get back on the coach to Birmingham two unknown lads got on and asked if we would mind if they got on and went with us. Apparently their coach was taking them back to Port Talbot and they simply didn't want to go back. Having seen Port Talbot myself I don't blame them. Oh and yes we did allow them to come with us. They even ended up at a party in my mates house afterwards.

Her introduction to English cuisine was Cornish Pasties - sometimes ok, often not

DO NOT eat the Ivor Dewdney ones - they're supposedly the best, but they're rubbish. It's amazing what a bit of marketing can do. ;)

The Ron Dewdney ones are OK (better than the Ivor ones), but the very best ones are from Friary Mill in Plymouth. It's worth a trip into Plymouth just for some of those.

Edited by eFestivals

I lived in Devon for around 4 years. I didn't see a single place that sold them.

then you weren't looking, or not hard enough. Every time i have had one and a proper one at that! If someone tried serving me whipped cream i would be tempted to throw it back at them!

going from whitby to London is missing huge swathes of interesting stuff.

theres not much round here (Hull) other than the couple of bits rufus mentioned, but to miss the north yorkshire moors, the dales and the derbyshire dales out would be criminal.

theres some great campsites around derbyshire, and some amazing caving opportunities.

also, fish and chips in robin hoods bay? its the Magpie cafe in whitby you need!

theres also Goathland in the NY Moors, which is where "heartbeat" was filmed. lovely country, and not far away is Dalby Forest, which has one of the best mountainbike courses in the country. they also have gigs in the forest occasionally.

the one you were referring to in scotland may have been the one at Nevis Range, just outside fort william, where the world championships are held.

I would also suggest joining the national trust if you are using a lot of their land, you get free access for a year as members.

Do you guys think Manchester - whitby - London - cornwall - south wales - north wales - Manchester is too far to go in just two weeks?

that was just how it read to me, I'm sure you will have an awesome time, its a fucking amazing country we live in, its just a shame so few people cant see past Tenerife and Benidorm for their summer hols.

Do you guys think Manchester - whitby - London - cornwall - south wales - north wales - Manchester is too far to go in just two weeks? I have put it in a route planner and its roughly 16 hours (direct) but obviously we will want to stop off to see things along the way and we need time to sleep and relax and enjoy the places we are visiting. The more i look at it the more i am thinking stick to the west side at the very least?

I did a similar run with Viking Jeff and we managed to get a festival in the middle. We did get waylaid on the final run and ended up working at Reading.

that was just how it read to me, I'm sure you will have an awesome time, its a fucking amazing country we live in, its just a shame so few people cant see past Tenerife and Benidorm for their summer hols.

It is an amazing country with so much to offer the tourist. However it's often more expensive to holiday here and there's no guaranteed good weather like there would be at Tenerife and Benidorm. Then there's my suspicion that some people just don't have the same appreciation of the country as others do. It's horses for courses really.

It is an amazing country with so much to offer the tourist. However it's often more expensive to holiday here and there's no guaranteed good weather like there would be at Tenerife and Benidorm. Then there's my suspicion that some people just don't have the same appreciation of the country as others do. It's horses for courses really.

I think you get very different experiences from holidaying in the UK and abroad. Both positive, but it depends what you want to see and do. The atmosphere, culture and feel of a holiday in each country is incredibly varied, and I wouldn't want to miss out on holidays abroad nor ones in the UK.

That said, I can't say I like the major British tourist hotspots.

The more i plan it, the more excited i get. How simple yet wonderful to stick the mattress, bikes and camping gear in the back of a van and drive off to wherever we fancy :)

i appreciate that kipping in the van might be slightly illegal but less illegal than driving when tired ;)

on the subject of, does anyone know of any places that allow overnight parking? I know that most places don't and i am fully prepared to have to keep moving after a few hours kip at times.

What i am also liking is that when the time comes if it is pissing down in cornwall, but sunny in scotland, we can change our plans at the drop of a hat as we are not tied in to staying anywhere in particular. I hate even researched which service stations have showers the length and breadth of the UK!

This may help with the overnight parking;

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers.shtml

I was just going to say that.

There is a website that has the policy of local councils and their car parks. When I get the chance I will search for it.

As a rule of thumb you are fine unless restrictions are posted. Make sure he it is at services you btw a ticket. During festie season we would use lay bys on A roads, the ones with an island in between. Parking on streets it is best to be discrete as is parking off road on a country lane. Keep your eye open for friendly pubs that will let you stop over if you ask nice (and buy food). It is worth asking as you travel to keep a list for the future.

If you are going anyway near Treacle in Dumfries there is a lovely village called Kirkcudbright. Some of the film The Wickerman was filmed there.

Loads to do around me as Rufus says. Samye Ling is a must see in Dumfries & Galloway as well as Castle Douglas and Kirkudbright. If a night in a comfy bed and a good meal would help break your journey then you'd be most welcome to stay with us for a night :)

There's also a couple of great mountain bike trails within a stone's throw from us.

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Mabie

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Ae