Missing it already

Guest General Lee

It's been a fair while since I've stalked these boards (looking smart as ever by the way Neil)

It's days like today that make me reflect on the fact that there's no Glasto this year. The sun is beating down and I'm at work - I'm well aware that if I was setting off for Glasto the clouds would be gathering.

In short, days like today always feel like a little bit of a waste when we're not at Glastonbury to fully appreciate them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(looking smart as ever by the way Neil)

Thanks. When I get thru the major re-write of the content manager software I use to manage the main part of the site, there are many more changes planned, which will be rolled out over time, bit by bit - which I hope will give a better consistency of design across the main part with the forums, as well as making the info that is presented to users more relevant to their interests. But doing everything that's on the list to do will take me quite a while.

On that note, where the hell has my fish avatar gone? I've had that since I was in 6th form!

One one of the forum software updates - I think about a year ago now - it started to only allow the one current profile pic, whereas before there was a profile photo and a profile avatar. At the time of that change I could choose which one of the two to make everyone's new pic, and after discussion with users here it was agreed which one to use (I forget which it was now). So that's probably what happened with your avatar.

My festival season starts every year with the Cider and Tobacco festival at the Bell Inn at Buckland Dinham - a couple of weeks before Glastonbury, and only a few miles up the lane from Worthy Farm.

It's got it all - camping with real fires, old bearded men smoking pipes, bands, ducks and scuba diving. I do my best to avoid droning on about Glastonbury, but when you're on the piss in Somerset in June, it inevitably comes up in conversation when you come across strangers who are also going. I'm therefore looking forward to a Glasturbation free one this year - I'll be able to devote my full attention to the lethal cider instead.

Thanks. When I get thru the major re-write of the content manager software I use to manage the main part of the site, there are many more changes planned, which will be rolled out over time, bit by bit - which I hope will give a better consistency of design across the main part with the forums, as well as making the info that is presented to users more relevant to their interests. But doing everything that's on the list to do will take me quite a while.

Sounds cool.

Making content more relevant to individual users interests (a bit like how YouTube recommends videos etc) would be a good thing in my book.

That's certainly in my thoughts as I work thru all the bits I have to work thru first, but it might be so far down the line that other things replace the idea before I get to it. :lol:

I'm trying not to firm-up specific end goals until I've got everything in place to be able to do them easily, as I've a heap of stuff to get thru before I could start on those. But I am making sure that the initial background changes I'm making have everything I need ready to be used for things like that.

Edited by eFestivals

Havn't got any festivals planned this year, being at Uni has pretty much been occupying my time and I have been having the best year of my life. Want to go to Wilderness Festival this year as Wilco are playing there and this weekend I'm going to see The Afghan Whigs at I'll be your mirror, not really a festival though it's more like a gig with support acts with an added cinema and food tent. Really looking forward to it though. Was going to go to Open'er festival but that went down the toilet.

Haven't really had the chance to think about it but I do miss Glastonbury like hell, next year all my friends from here want to go so that will be amazing, hopefully next year I will be back doing festivals again!

Going to Reading this year, i do miss Glasto though, got no one to go with next year so looking at doing some volunteering, anyone else done it in recent years? and can recommend me something that has a good balance of work and play? :)

Going to Reading this year, i do miss Glasto though, got no one to go with next year so looking at doing some volunteering, anyone else done it in recent years? and can recommend me something that has a good balance of work and play? :)

Had a proper *wish I was going* moment yesterday (think the weather had something to do with it!!) and said the same on facebook -to which a lot of my friends who I go with (who I don't always see on a regular basis) replied saying they had been feeling the same...even a couple of people who only went for the 1st time last year said they would miss it.

Me too. Keep glancing at the Glasto Cam widget, looking at those sunny fields (growing mostly wheat it seems across the Western parts of the site), noting the distinct lack of a fence going up and the odd flag, truck, marquee appearing. Particularly gutting what with the hot weather at the moment. Will be gutted still further if it stays hot and dry over the festival weekend too. <sigh>

Went a few times about 10 years ago and found myself in a frame of mind where I couldn't be bothered anymore. I couldn't get excited about it and so last time I went was 2005 I think. Had an urge to go in 2010 and got myself massively excited about it but my dog died a few hours before I was due to leave so I didn't go. Didn't have money to go last year but regretted not going. Proper looking forward to going next year. Nothing is going to stop me, except perhaps the end of the world. But i don't believe in that. So next year will be the year after bare years off. Can't wait.

Went a few times about 10 years ago and found myself in a frame of mind where I couldn't be bothered anymore. I couldn't get excited about it and so last time I went was 2005 I think. Had an urge to go in 2010 and got myself massively excited about it but my dog died a few hours before I was due to leave so I didn't go. Didn't have money to go last year but regretted not going. Proper looking forward to going next year. Nothing is going to stop me, except perhaps the end of the world. But i don't believe in that. So next year will be the year after bare years off. Can't wait.

I think the dates would have been Weds 20th-Mon 25th had it been on.

Even worse would have been dealing with the England football team (probably) playing their Quarter Final match on either the Saturday or Sunday night!

Thank god I had Faithless to get me out of my bad mood after our 4-1 trashing by Germany in 2010!

Just spent 10 mins looking for the 'glasto on my mind' thread, im sure it did exist. But couldn't find it.

My music just randomly played Jimmy Cliffs 'I can see clearly now' It took me back, I was right there, in shangri-la,saturday? night around 10pm??, some open dj playing, open air, not many people about, but it had just stopped raining in the last 10 minutes after raining non stop for 24 hrs (not sure the year but it was recent) i was able to pull my hood down and dance like a loon for the first time! and soo many people seemed to come from no were to just dance to this one song, started off with me and 3 other people ended with 10x the amount. i hear the DJs version in my head more than jimmy's - it was more "I can see clearly now the rain has gone ..BOOM BOOM BOOM..:..fucking brilliant.

<3

Edited by Rachie

hehe, was thinking about it this morning, normally, this time of year, I'm visiting arcane weather websites, becoming a temporary expert on 'low pressure ridges over Europe' and generally spending 90% of the day fretting about the possibility of rain.