3rd Headliner just confirmed

Guest Paul ™

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Placebo were only deemed big enough to headline the 2nd stage at RockNess in 2009. RockNess is a 35k capacity festival, and their 2nd stage is a 10k capacity tent.

Placebo haven't released anything since then. I can't see them headlining the main stage at the 55k capacity Bestival.

They are a good band, but i doubt they would fit it in with the Bestival crowd at all.

That's never stopped Rob from booking a band before tho. :lol:

The ones that come instantly to mind are the three acts I most wanted to see a few years back when I last went - Roxy Music, Chic (also playing Sister Sledge toons), and Twinkle Brothers - all were fantastic, and all had a large proportion of the crowd (or no crowd for the Twinkles :() wondering who was on stage and quite what they were doing at Bestival.

I'm not really surprised that Roxy and the Twinkles weren't a hit with the Bestival crowd but I was very surprised just how few seemed to know Chic &/or Sister Sledge, either as a band or even the songs.

With all three there weren't any computer beeps to grab the crowds interest. :P:lol:

That's never stopped Rob from booking a band before tho.

The ones that come instantly to mind are the three acts I most wanted to see a few years back when I last went - Roxy Music, Chic (also playing Sister Sledge toons), and Twinkle Brothers - all were fantastic, and all had a large proportion of the crowd (or no crowd for the Twinkles :() wondering who was on stage and quite what they were doing at Bestival.

I'm not really surprised that Roxy and the Twinkles weren't a hit with the Bestival crowd but I was very surprised just how few seemed to know Chic &/or Sister Sledge, either as a band or even the songs.

With all three there weren't any computer beeps to grab the crowds interest. :P:lol:

Neil, what's your thoughts on the headliners then?

Since he has denied Flo in that thread on the Bestival forums along with a load of other acts.

I've not been following things very closely, but isn't it the case that he previously said he'd booked the headliner that's going to be announced in May before saying he's not booked them?

If that's the case then there's perhaps a bit of a wiff about what he's said, and I still wouldn't be surprised to find it's Florence.

What would seem particularly strange if it is Placebo that's announced this week is the low level of the two headliners he'll have announced - which has got to suggest that the third has cost a packet!

For example, I know that New Order are available to book at a standard price that's lower than festivals of around the 20,000 size spend on their headliners, and will happily take a booking at half their standard price if they think the show is interesting enough for them (tho against that it's possible that Bestival have paid more than the standard price because it's a bigger gig than they'd normally do).

So if you're right about Placebo - and you might be, tho as has been said they're not the sort of act Bestival-goers might expect - then the third headliner is likely to be something bigger than the Bestival normal, or ..... Rob is looking to cash in a very big way this year.

I see them as fiting in more with the Bestival style ( dancey, fun, e.t.c).

Placebo can never be described as 'fun'.

Saying that, they did get My Bloody valentine one year, so...

I wouldn't say that Roxy Music are could be described as dancey or 'fun' either, so Placebo don't really sit much better than they did.

But just as Roxy were absolutely fantastic (I wanted to hate them cos of Ferry's overly-objectionable fascist-leaning kid, but I couldn't cos they were just so good), Placebo are as well - every time I've seen them they've been amazingly musically tight and have played a set where I've known far more of their songs than I thought I knew.

The only downside to them is that Molko doesn't do any chat, it's just song after song after song - whereas if he did the chat as well I reckon they'd have got to be a bigger band than they got to, cos he'd have had the crowd eating out of his hand with a set that good. Even without the chat they almost manage it anyway.

Maybe they spent all their money on the subs this year? getting Sigur Ros and The XX on festival exclusives can't have been cheap.

I like placebo and always enjoyed watching them. Would be a risky headliner for Rob though, and i can't see it getting the tickets out the door fast

I was thinking that with Placebo, but wasn't sure if I'd be right or not. Last year all 3 headliners could sell out arenas, if we were to get Placebo added to New Order, we'd have two academy bands headlining, which would make me think that Rob has something special, or has really just struggled.

Imagine if the headliners were Florence - New Order - Placebo, would be pretty weak in my opinion.

Placebo are bigger than an academy band really. I know they did them on their last couple of tours, but they did arenas before that and nearly sold out (I was right up in the gods at the o2 arena and bought tickets pretty quickly).

They're also a cracking live spectacle nowadays. I was at the Brixton show that was filmed and they were just stunning.

And The Cure aren't exactly a bouncy, fun band (at least on most of their songs)....