Sales?

Guest CE6

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a reluctance on the part of bands to come over, but that's not a huge problem with regard to selling tickets really. People tend to buy based on the headliners, and there's not exactly a lack of American headliners this year. If they've been put off its because of the Olympics, but foos, killers, Metallica all signed up anyway. As I said, if anything Glastonbury not being on means there's less competition.

I'm sure there are acts, but they aren't the kind of acts that would affect the top of the bill at other major festivals. They're the smaller acts for whom the trip is only made worthwhile by Glasto because it still gives more exposure than playing up the bill at small festivals.

I'm only repeating what people in the industry have said and as I said Peter Mensch (yes, I know he made an awful mistake with regards to his wife but we all make mistakes, maybe not that big of one, but still) among others has said about acts choosing not to come to the UK because there's no Glastonbury.

Quote- whoever posted this (will call them Mrs T!)

I'm a 28 year old woman and I'm going...and I'm going on my own! :P I stopped going in 2008 cos I felt too old. Naturally the solution to ACTUALLY becoming too old is to have a crisis and go again! Might camp in the families area though; can't be doing with drunk 15 year olds.

Unquote

Big respect to you going on your own !

I've been going since I was 16, I'm 28 now and no one is going anymore (even though I still would like to)

Back on to the more related topic of sales(!), did anyone else happen to see the Reading/Leeds TV advert during homeland the other day. First time I can remember the festival adverstising on TV. Have seen a lot more in terms of the lineup poster ad in local music mags in Cardiff, and even lineup posters on billboards and rotundas close to uni buidlings. They are obviosuly pushing a bit more this year, or sales are even lower than we think....

Noticed my local walkabout has leeds line up posters on video screens repeating inbeween drink promotions and new movie posters. Im guessing fr has paid to do this (not walkabout just acting like they are down with the kids) as it used to have local businesses advertising on them

• 2 weeks later...

I can see how that might affect some of the smaller more self-styled eclectic festivals who fill their top spots with some of the fodder from the smaller stages at Glasto but without Glasto these smaller festivals don't have the pulling power to attract them over.

However I don't see how a lack of Glasto affects the major festivals as none of them really rely on each other to bring acts over. T and Soni were able to work in tandem (although maybe not consciously) to improve eachother's line-up last year but it's not like a band will back out of R&L or IOW because it's not worth them coming over and not doing Glasto.

I don't think Kasabian are a problem at all. In fact, I reckon if they'd replaced them with an older band they'd probably have had worse sales (we don't know how they are, just that they haven't sold out yet). I'd have liked a few more biggish older acts midway up the mainstage, but much as I dislike them all, the 4th-6th main stage bands are all pretty suited to R/L and in the right slots, and I doubt an older band up at 3rd would have helped much.

Between The Maccabees and the Lock-Up, I reckon the main target audiences that won't like The Cure (fools!) will be appeased.

I think the recession is actually having a bigger impact than the lineup, along with last year's slow sell-out reducing pressure-buying on announcement day and tout interest.

fundamentally it's a better line up than last year. For my own music tastes I would say it's the best since 2008.

I think there are several reasons it has not sold out:

1. Slow sell last year, so people are less pressurised into getting a ticket (2009) so they can wait for other line ups etc. before they buy a ticket to the festival.

2. The economic situation. Due to the banker w*nkers we are in deep shit. People have less disposable income, and due to the target audience relying mostly on their parents for money for a ticket this is especially prevalent.

3. I think coupled this the trouble Reading has had recently has given Reading a reputation, and some parents feel uneasy about sending their little darlings.

4. The festival market is way to saturated. There are far to many festivals, and not enough bands to play them, leading to repeat bookings and similar lineups.

5. Foreign festivals, with their better weather, lineups and cheaper tickets they are becoming increasingly attractive.

fundamentally it's a better line up than last year. For my own music tastes I would say it's the best since 2008.

1. Slow sell last year, so people are less pressurised into getting a ticket (2009) so they can wait for other line ups etc. before they buy a ticket to the festival.

2. The economic situation. Due to the banker w*nkers we are in deep shit. People have less disposable income, and due to the target audience relying mostly on their parents for money for a ticket this is especially prevalent.

3. I think coupled this the trouble Reading has had recently has given Reading a reputation, and some parents feel uneasy about sending their little darlings.

4. The festival market is way to saturated. There are far to many festivals, and not enough bands to play them, leading to repeat bookings and similar lineups.

5. Foreign festivals, with their better weather, lineups and cheaper tickets they are becoming increasingly attractive.

4. The festival market is way to saturated. There are far to many festivals, and not enough bands to play them, leading torepeat bookings and similar lineups.