Sales?

Guest CE6

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, the UK simply wouldn't be able to survive with one or two major festivals. It's widely stated that the reason so many fests have failed this year is because of the absence of Glastonbury. I wouldn't advocate over saturation of the market as we've perhaps seen in recent years, because it only leads to more failing, but I highly doubt any festival would survive on its own in the UK, even Glastonbury.

I'm very interested to see how Download operates in the next couple of years, with no opponent in the same genre in operation at the moment.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

Thing is, the UK simply wouldn't be able to survive with one or two major festivals. It's widely stated that the reason so many fests have failed this year is because of the absence of Glastonbury. I wouldn't advocate over saturation of the market as we've perhaps seen in recent years, because it only leads to more failing, but I highly doubt any festival would survive on its own in the UK, even Glastonbury.

I'm very interested to see how Download operates in the next couple of years, with no opponent in the same genre in operation at the moment.

I don't buy the recession explanation. 2010 was the peak of the recession and R&L tickets sold out in a matter of hours.

Olympics play a part but if anything I'd say it's to do with the over-saturation of the market. A lot of festivals have popped up in the last 10 years and have really begun making a name for themselves recently.

I don't buy the recession explanation. 2010 was the peak of the recession and R&L tickets sold out in a matter of hours.

Olympics play a part but if anything I'd say it's to do with the over-saturation of the market. A lot of festivals have popped up in the last 10 years and have really begun making a name for themselves recently.

Edited by LondonTom

2010 isn't a good example of a good year to use as, although it sold out, unlike the previous few years the bottom really fell out of the tout/resale market, exposing the high amount of tickets bought by people who never intended to go. There probably wan't high demand by genuine punters as exposed by touts losing money. Obviously last year tickets sold slower due to a lot of bedrom touts getting their fingers burned, but the signs were there in 2010 that things weren't as good as they had been in 2006-2009.

Edited by mrtourette

I'm a 28 year old woman and I'm going...and I'm going on my own! :P I stopped going in 2008 cos I felt too old. Naturally the solution to ACTUALLY becoming too old is to have a crisis and go again! Might camp in the families area though; can't be doing with drunk 15 year olds.

Thing is, the UK simply wouldn't be able to survive with one or two major festivals. It's widely stated that the reason so many fests have failed this year is because of the absence of Glastonbury. I wouldn't advocate over saturation of the market as we've perhaps seen in recent years, because it only leads to more failing, but I highly doubt any festival would

survive on its own in the UK, even Glastonbury.

I can see how that might affect some of the smaller more self-styled eclectic festivals who fill their top spots with some of the fodder from the smaller stages at Glasto but without Glasto these smaller festivals don't have the pulling power to attract them over.

However I don't see how a lack of Glasto affects the major festivals as none of them really rely on each other to bring acts over. T and Soni were able to work in tandem (although maybe not consciously) to improve eachother's line-up last year but it's not like a band will back out of R&L or IOW because it's not worth them coming over and not doing Glasto.

Its all 3 really, I think the recession is starting harder now with the cuts being made, if your a parent are you going give your kid 200 quid to spunk on a weekend piss up? or save it for them to offset against the higher costs of uni now? Just one of the many things.

Saturation sure, there is a loads of festivals around right now but I think this has been sped up a bit by the other factors. Hitting festivals harder than maybe a gradual decline. I was more speaking about the suggestion that we need more festivals and blaming Glastonbury for not being on on why other fests are struggling.

If anything it's freed up a load of regular festival goers who might try something new.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

There's a lot. But you're missing the point. Any time a major festival doesn't occur, it creates a gap in the market and means certain acts won't appear. If R&L didn't occur for one year for some reason or another, it would impact festivals. Especially acts from outside Europe who will plan their tour around certain dates. Look at what happened with Mastodon and T.

As time said, it's been widely stated by many industry people this year that one of the reasons acts are reluctant to come is because of no Glastonbury.

If you notice, I never said Glastonbury props up the market anywhere. In fact I said that Glastonbury couldn't prop up the market on its own, I don't think any one major festival could.