Sales?

Guest CE6

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully a load more touts taking a bath!

As for selling out, I had thought that this year would be a year when it sold quickly, especially with the Foos headlining and no Glastonbury. I still think that R&L suffer because they're the last to announce and go on sale and the country is still in the toilet financially so discretionary purchases like festivals will suffer. V did sell out quickly thought :(

In my opinion, there's going to be at least one of the big festivals that doesn't survive the next couple of years and R&L's failure to sell out quikly two years in a row is a real worry.

Reading will be fine. Not so sure about Leeds (haven't been there since Temple Newsam). It is Sonisphere that worries me. Download has massacred it this year, especially if you ignore the headliners (I know this is a big thing to ignore). Reading is probably too big to fall though.

I think there are too many alternatives now for R&L to notice any major increase in tickets due to Glastonbury not taking place. When there were only two or three major festivals maybe, but with more than that as well as various smaller or 'boutique' festivals people are likely to go elsewhere and the effect is spread so thin. Add to that people may decide to take a year off with Glastonbury due to the economic situation and it isn't as much of a banker as it may have been at other times.

I think R&L is the jewel in FR's crown and I'd imagine that they'd shed all of their other festivals first and keep going to try and hold out until ticket sales take an upward swing again (either through the popularity of festivals returning or competitiors dying off).

Edited by mrtourette

I wouldnt worry about it selling out instantly, I used to go to Reading regularly in the nineties and you could pretty much always get a ticket if you wanted one, but it was plenty busy enough (this was pre-internet so booking was less intense).

Does it matter if it is not sold out instantly? Problem lies in increased ticket prices/recession and the same old bands kicking around.

I think there are too many alternatives now for R&L to notice any major increase in tickets due to Glastonbury not taking place. When there were only two or three major festivals maybe, but with more than that as well as various smaller or 'boutique' festivals people are likely to go elsewhere and the effect is spread so thin. Add to that people may decide to take a year off with Glastonbury due to the economic situation and it isn't as much of a banker as it may have been at other times.

I think R&L is the jewel in FR's crown and I'd imagine that they'd shed all of their other festivals first and keep going to try and hold out until ticket sales take an upward swing again (either through the popularity of festivals returning or competitiors dying off).

It seems less to do with the line ups this year, more to do with people having less money and with the big ones hitting 205 with booking fee people are thinking again.(Although the friday line up can't have helped:P)

Then there is also people looking to get more for their festival spends, apart from big headliners I think people see they can have a very similar great weekend at smaller festivals with more choice and variety in entertainment...(Thinking Bestival here, which is 180.)

It seems less to do with the line ups this year, more to do with people having less money and with the big ones hitting 205 with booking fee people are thinking again.(Although the friday line up can't have helped:P)

Then there is also people looking to get more for their festival spends, apart from big headliners I think people see they can have a very similar great weekend at smaller festivals with more choice and variety in entertainment...(Thinking Bestival here, which is 180.)

I wouldnt worry about it selling out instantly, I used to go to Reading regularly in the nineties and you could pretty much always get a ticket if you wanted one, but it was plenty busy enough (this was pre-internet so booking was less intense).

Does it matter if it is not sold out instantly? Problem lies in increased ticket prices/recession and the same old bands kicking around.

That was great, you'd put in your cheque for the Glastonbury ballot and if you didn't get tickets both Reading and Phoenix wouldn't be sold out so you could pop down to your independant record shop (anyone remember those?) and get a ticket for £60 (!)

Even got one two days before my first festival in 94 and had to pick it up from the on-site box office (remeber that!)