Lineup 2014

Hawky

I think a "new" headliner is a band which is questionable size wise.

Also, while Daft Punk are a massive band now, that's largely come from hype preluding RAM (even though it wasn't that successful) and their lack of tour dates in recent years. They didn't sell out their Wireless day (07?) last time they did a festival date here.

Arcade Fire, QOTSA and Arctic Monkeys would be a pretty damn strong set of headliners. Three bands who are all currently at the top of their game, considering how people this year complained about Green Day and Eminem and how they weren't "relevant" any more.

I don't believe they'd have 3 headliners, where one headlined 4 years ago, one headlined 5 years ago, and one subbed 4 years ago. People are talking about this because people WANT such a lineup.

And I didn't complain about Green Day and Eminem not being relevant, I complained because they're shit :P

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gucci Piggy

• the wonderwhy

• dentalplan

• Com Truise

I don't believe they'd have 3 headliners, where one headlined 4 years ago, one headlined 5 years ago, and one subbed 4 years ago. People are talking about this because people WANT such a lineup.

And I didn't complain about Green Day and Eminem not being relevant, I complained because they're shit :P

To be honest I thought R+L stood as most likely having heard Glastonbury and IOW weren't after them, and perhaps I'm too sane to think Bestival could poach them. However as things have seemed to develop over the past week regarding Glasto (AC/DC, Depeche Mode) it leads me to believe they could end up there instead.

Also you missed out Biffy Clyro, they're shit too. :P

I think a "new" headliner is a band which is questionable size wise.

Also, while Daft Punk are a massive band now, that's largely come from hype preluding RAM (even though it wasn't that successful) and their lack of tour dates in recent years. They didn't sell out their Wireless day (07?) last time they did a festival date here.

It wasn't necessarily people on here, after all, people on here wouldn't want anything more than a headlining trio of Pearl Jam, Pixies and Soundgarden. :P But I did see a few people saying "Green Day and Eminem?! Is it 2001 or something?!" elsewhere.

People say it's only been four years since Arcade Fire headlined, but Foo Fighters headlined in 2002 and 2005 so I don't know, it could happen. And Arctic Monkeys will be a guaranteed ticket seller, although part of me thinks that V could nab them, they have a habit of sneakily taking bands that we all think are nailed on for Reading and Leeds, and like to book headliners who have played not long previously.

They would make a great set of headliners, but the last thing I want is a predictable undercard. I'm talking about the likes of The Vaccines, You Me At Six, Enter Shikari, Two Door Cinema Club and All Time Low all in high slots.

To be honest I thought R+L stood as most likely having heard Glastonbury and IOW weren't after them, and perhaps I'm too sane to think Bestival could poach them. However as things have seemed to develop over the past week regarding Glasto (AC/DC, Depeche Mode) it leads me to believe they could end up there instead.

Also you missed out Biffy Clyro, they're shit too. :P

Arcade Fire I assume? I'm still not convinced they'll do the European circuit next year. They haven't announced a tour over the pond for the new album yet, and I'm not convinced they'll do extensive touring straight after a pregnancy. And I genuinely believe it's too soon.

And what the hell does "too sane" mean? :P

Oh, and Biffy aren't shit, they're bland, be accurate :P

Well Queens have subbed twice too. It's probably more 'now or never' for them. To be fair I wouldn't mind QOTSA and Paramore both headlining. It shows balls and I like when there is a headliner I will certainly have no regrets about missing.

So if he's talking about Dizzee in the future why does where he played this year matter?

It was more the fact of a bit too soon comment as regards to next year. He's nowhere near major fest headline status.

and as the odd new track has appeared, being essentially equivalent to 3rd on main makes it mean a lot

It wasn't necessarily people on here, after all, people on here wouldn't want anything more than a headlining trio of Pearl Jam, Pixies and Soundgarden. :P But I did see a few people saying "Green Day and Eminem?! Is it 2001 or something?!" elsewhere.

People say it's only been four years since Arcade Fire headlined, but Foo Fighters headlined in 2002 and 2005 so I don't know, it could happen. And Arctic Monkeys will be a guaranteed ticket seller, although part of me thinks that V could nab them, they have a habit of sneakily taking bands that we all think are nailed on for Reading and Leeds, and like to book headliners who have played not long previously.

They would make a great set of headliners, but the last thing I want is a predictable undercard. I'm talking about the likes of The Vaccines, You Me At Six, Enter Shikari, Two Door Cinema Club and All Time Low all in high slots.

Daft Punk, Tool and Neil Young would do as an alternative set for us lot here :P

Has there been any example beyond Foos then of such a short turnaround? And the other headliners that year weren't repeats. I do think 4 years is too fast a turnaround, but not to the extent it's completely impossible, however I can't see that happening alongside another recent headliner like Arctics - who I'd say are pretty close to the border of acceptable turnaround themselves.

Public Enemy, J5, Manics, Flaming Lips then?

Well Queens have subbed twice too. It's probably more 'now or never' for them. To be fair I wouldn't mind QOTSA and Paramore both headlining. It shows balls and I like when there is a headliner I will certainly have no regrets about missing.

I agree, while I think it's look weak on paper it gives them the chance to use money wisely to pack out the undercard well.

That said, I don't think it'll happen but I do reckon after it's been mentioned that Calvin Harris subbing to Paramore would be a decent selection. He's not the type of dance act like The Prodigy where it will over power like it did with the Arctics.

I'm not so sure QOTSA wouldn't just accept subs, I think going by the instant standing sell outs, it's quite clear that they could have sold out arena's before this album.

Arcade Fire I assume? I'm still not convinced they'll do the European circuit next year. They haven't announced a tour over the pond for the new album yet, and I'm not convinced they'll do extensive touring straight after a pregnancy. And I genuinely believe it's too soon.

And what the hell does "too sane" mean? :P

Oh, and Biffy aren't shit, they're bland, be accurate :P

They did announce Big Day Out. Including Australia would be an odd move if you're only touring lightly. She had her baby in May anyway, how long is it until she'd be back at work in any other job? :P

I just don't think Bestival can book anyone that big and current. The Cure, Elton John, Stevie Wonder were big but certainly not current or in as much demand.

And it's acceptable to be bland while wearing jumpers and with a short back and sides haircut but not some beardy blokes with their tops off, that makes them shit. :P

I'm not so sure QOTSA wouldn't just accept subs, I think going by the instant standing sell outs, it's quite clear that they could have sold out arena's before this album.

A point I did make to you a year ago when you were claiming that the fact they hadn't ever done an arena tour was a sign they would never be big enough to headline.

That's the thing though Gazza. New headliners don't become new headliners because they refuse to sub, bookers take a chance and book them there.

It was more the fact of a bit too soon comment as regards to next year. He's nowhere near major fest headline status.

and as the odd new track has appeared, being essentially equivalent to 3rd on main makes it mean a lot

He's subbed Glasto twice, he's a household name and goes down very well with at R&L. He's a lot closer to headliner than you're suggesting and keep in mind R&L have had headliners who didn't headline the TITP 2nd stage the same year yet let alone in the past.

They did announce Big Day Out. Including Australia would be an odd move if you're only touring lightly. She had her baby in May anyway, how long is it until she'd be back at work in any other job? :P

I just don't think Bestival can book anyone that big and current. The Cure, Elton John, Stevie Wonder were big but certainly not current or in as much demand.

And it's acceptable to be bland while wearing jumpers and with a short back and sides haircut but not some beardy blokes with their tops off, that makes them shit. :P

Any other job involves going home and seeing the child in the evenings? Touring is different, you're not going back to the same place.

I think everyone here overestimates Arcade Fire's popularity. They're known in the mainstream sure, but their music isn't endlessly played on the radio, overheard when walking down the highstreet etc. And what demand? If Glasto don't want them, then it's between Reading (where they placed recently), and Bestival, they wouldn't fit the demographic of any other festival (and just barely for R+L).

I'd say delusional :P

Just while there is talk about them around though, what about this:

AC/DC

QOTSA

B4MV

Rise Against

Crystal Castles

Paramore

Calvin Harris

YMA6

Bastille

Frank turner

Arctic Monkeys

Jack White

The Offspring

All Time Low

Disclosure

That's, erm, surprisingly good.

Frank Turner won't be back taking up such a big slot though. Frank Turner Soundsystem on the Lock Up, maybe.

Daft Punk, Tool and Neil Young would do as an alternative set for us lot here :P

Has there been any example beyond Foos then of such a short turnaround? And the other headliners that year weren't repeats. I do think 4 years is too fast a turnaround, but not to the extent it's completely impossible, however I can't see that happening alongside another recent headliner like Arctics - who I'd say are pretty close to the border of acceptable turnaround themselves.

Public Enemy, J5, Manics, Flaming Lips then?

Not that I'm aware of, it took Metallica and Muse a difference of five years. But it shows that they probably don't take into consideration that kind of thing as strongly as people on here think. I'm saying this mainly because I personally want Arcade Fire and didn't go in 2010 so want to redeem myself :P Anyway, if it happens it still won't be as bad as V or TITP who have booked The Killers every two years for the past 72356 decades. ;)

And I would absolutely love Public Enemy and the Manics to play. Reckon the Manics will be a strong possibility too, they're one of those bands who have a real affinity with Reading and Leeds and it's been a while since they last played, but hopefully they'll headline the tent again rather than play for under an hour in the middle of the day on the Main Stage as they're better suited to smaller stages these days.

A point I did make to you a year ago when you were claiming that the fact they hadn't ever done an arena tour was a sign they would never be big enough to headline.

He's subbed Glasto twice, he's a household name and goes down very well with at R&L. He's a lot closer to headliner than you're suggesting and keep in mind R&L have had headliners who didn't headline the TITP 2nd stage the same year yet let alone in the past.

I've got no problem with saying a sub but there is a major gap between that and the above slot I think to be honest.

Foos must have stepped in for somebody in 2005. That year ruins the 'always a new headliner' as well as the 'five year minimum' thing. They probably played stadiums that year too!

I wonder who, if that was the case. I can't think of anyone who could have stepped up to headline that year, who wasn't at V already. Maybe The Killers?

They didn't play any outdoor gigs in the UK that year, they left that until the following year when they did Hyde Park and Old Trafford.

Not that I'm aware of, it took Metallica and Muse a difference of five years. But it shows that they probably don't take into consideration that kind of thing as strongly as people on here think. I'm saying this mainly because I personally want Arcade Fire and didn't go in 2010 so want to redeem myself :P Anyway, if it happens it still won't be as bad as V or TITP who have booked The Killers every two years for the past 72356 decades. ;)

And I would absolutely love Public Enemy and the Manics to play. Reckon the Manics will be a strong possibility too, they're one of those bands who have a real affinity with Reading and Leeds and it's been a while since they last played, but hopefully they'll headline the tent again rather than play for under an hour in the middle of the day on the Main Stage as they're better suited to smaller stages these days.

5 years is rare though, I'm not saying they won't make an exception, but I doubt they'll make 2.

Real affinity and it's been a while since they last played? :P

I don't think they'd be much good on the mainstage either to be fair, though I doubt I'd end up seeing them if they headline a tent.

Not a ridiculous guess. Not quite sure about that flow on the Saturday, and I expect we'd get a bit more cack around.

I'd go though. Watch bands Fri+Sun and work Saturday again.

The thing is though with those acts, the R&L 2nd stage isn't big enough for him and to choose an act at R&L to go above him without it being a Jay Z or a Kanye is tough but I felt Paramore will have a lot of energy on stage, they'll go for it if they end up headlining and he's that big ticket seller (6 arena's with Tiesto mind all sold out or very well very quick at least. I went for those 3rd and 4th bands as I feel they will be the strongest 3rd and 4th bands the fest may get so it's not only a no brainer to put them on the weakest header day but they all make sense that day too.

The only thing I might change is to switch Calvin and Jack White so the weaker day didn't have the 'risky' sub. ( I think he'd give just as much, it'd be a strong act) I guess there is the thing that someone said on here that he wouldn't play the fest unless he headlined.

That's, erm, surprisingly good.

Frank Turner won't be back taking up such a big slot though. Frank Turner Soundsystem on the Lock Up, maybe.

just tried to do something different.

why won't he? just announced an arena tour. He could easily do NME headline, the natural position for him I think, and that's if he's not on main again, though I kinda don't think he will be as I reckon Download may book him 3rd main there.

5 years is rare though, I'm not saying they won't make an exception, but I doubt they'll make 2.

Real affinity and it's been a while since they last played? :P

I don't think they'd be much good on the mainstage either to be fair, though I doubt I'd end up seeing them if they headline a tent.

They did two songs off The Holy Bible when they last played, Glastonbury, V and TITP haven't had that privelige! :P They're my favourite band ever so I'd see them wherever they'd play, but 4th or 5th down on Main, in the middle of the afternoon, it wouldn't be a classic Manics set. Their 2008 performance was well received on here, almost as much as Metallica and RATM's sets were so it'd be cool if they headlined NME again but were given 90 minutes.

I reckon Arcade Fire will be at Glastonbury anyway, but if it turns out they're not it wouldn't surprise me to see them back at Reading and Leeds.