• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gucci Piggy

• the wonderwhy

• dentalplan

• Com Truise

Your post about Babyshambles just set me on a Google freefall looking at all of the shows Pete/The Libs used to play at Tap N Tin (which is literally five miles down the road from where I live) making me think about how it used to be a focal point of gigs, new music and alternative culture and how one of the most exciting bands on the planet used to play shows on my doorstep. Now because the live scene is dead it just runs club nights playing shitty music and Pete is a destitute mess. Now I'm sad and I blame you entirely.

Pete Doherty is a junkie oxygen thief and anything he has been involved in could never have been described as exciting. Also, during Oct, Nov and Dec I'm spending close on a grand going to gigs so I'm not sure the live scene is dead either. Maybe it's just shite junkie fuck bands aren't popular anymore?

Pete Doherty is a junkie oxygen thief and anything he has been involved in could never have been described as exciting. Also, during Oct, Nov and Dec I'm spending close on a grand going to gigs so I'm not sure the live scene is dead either. Maybe it's just shite junkie fuck bands aren't popular anymore?

Pete Doherty is ill. I understand people don't like the music but I'd encourange everyone not to use the fact that he suffers addiction as an insult against his music. Sorry, the word 'junkie' really grates with me, it's condescending, offensive and only perpetuates an awful stereotype. People with addiction need help and support, not judgement and labeling.

That being said, I agree that (bar one Libertines tracks) his music isn't terribly exciting and Babyshambles are a very 'meh'.

Live music scenes change depending on what you're into. I've gone a year without going to a major (above small venue) gig and then the following year spent a fortune on tours from small academies to stadiums.

Edited by Hubert Cumberdale

Pete Doherty is a prime example of someone having it all at their feet and throwing it away.

If you watch videos from the early days of The Libertines, he looks so healthy and comes across as intelligent and well spoken, as well as being someone who clearly has talent. Compare that to him now, he's basically a carcass pretending to be someone who used to be an incredible songwriter.

He is the Leeds United of music. Could have been huge and succesful going by the early 2000s but too many fuck-ups has reduced him to a bit of a joke.

I liked Dirty Pretty Things' first album, thought there was some great songs on there. Babyshambles have always bored the arse off me though.

I wonder if The Libertines were still together, and if Pete had sorted himself out, or alternatively not become addicted to heroin, how different people's perceptions of them would be. Would there be this mass proclamation of them being the greatest band of this generation? I recall that they weren't even that big until Can't Stand Me Now, and by the time that song came out it was obvious that the band was doomed.

Would they be a Muse/Kasabian/Arctic Monkeys/Biffy Clyro sized band by now, constantly headlining festivals and selling out stadia and arenas or would people have got bored of them by this point? Quite interesting to think about.

I don't think Pete wants to get better. He has had years to get himself together. He isn't the only musician to have serious drug issues, the difference is, people like Slash and Anthony Keidis for example have managed to overcome their issues because they wanted to. And I just don't think Pete does. Yes, I know it isn't as easy as saying he should give up heroin, because addiction is a bastard, but I can't explain what I mean any other way.

If he could get clean and stay that way, I'm certain The Libertines would release another album. He clearly loves the band still, but he is just too much of a liability to himself and others for them to reform permanently (whilst he is in his current state).

Edited by Andre91

I liked Dirty Pretty Things' first album, thought there was some great songs on there. Babyshambles have always bored the arse off me though.

I wonder if The Libertines were still together, and if Pete had sorted himself out, or alternatively not become addicted to heroin, how different people's perceptions of them would be. Would there be this mass proclamation of them being the greatest band of this generation? I recall that they weren't even that big until Can't Stand Me Now, and by the time that song came out it was obvious that the band was doomed.

Would they be a Muse/Kasabian/Arctic Monkeys/Biffy Clyro sized band by now, constantly headlining festivals and selling out stadia and arenas or would people have got bored of them by this point? Quite interesting to think about.

Nah, what made Libs big was because they were a band on the verge of breaking up/Pete's problems.

Nah, what made Libs big was because they were a band on the verge of breaking up/Pete's problems.

That's the cruel irony of the band, I suppose. The fact that what ruined them made them become more popular. As soon as they started to experience turmoil, they started to turn people's heads. No such thing as bad publicity, I suppose. You only have to look at their billing at Reading and Leeds in 2003, when they were in their prime. Halfway down the Main Stage. Since that booking, Pete admitted he was a heroin addict and he'd been sent to prison, and it was well reported that there was tension. The following year, after just one single, they were moved up to 3rd. They were basically a car crash of a band.

There's nothing the music press love more than a bit of Rock And Roll mythology, and Pete Doherty fit that perfectly. If it weren't for that, they'd still probably be playing pubs in Camden.

Pete Doherty is ill. I understand people don't like the music but I'd encourange everyone not to use the fact that he suffers addiction as an insult against his music. Sorry, the word 'junkie' really grates with me, it's condescending, offensive and only perpetuates an awful stereotype. People with addiction need help and support, not judgement and labeling.

Have you watched the video where he squirts a syringe of blood over a camera and crew? That is not illness. That is a junkie c**t being a junkie c**t. He has all the money and privilege to sort himself out but chooses not to. That's right, he chooses to be that way. The best thing that could happen to him is to OD, die and stop being a high profile bad example to kids. I couldn't give a shit if your political correctness issues are ruffled over Doherty, most junkies do it because they have no way out and nothing to live for. He has everything and still chooses to adopt the worst traits as a lifestyle. They should take his money away and make him live on the streets with real junkies, bet the twat would change his ways then.

I don't dislike his music BTW and went to see him once, I walked out on the 4th song because of his posturing and antics. That's the only time it's ever happened and the most disappointed I have ever been at a live show. He will never get a penny of my cash again unless he really does sort his shit out.

Having all the money and privileges in the world doesn't mean that it's any easier to fight any form of addiction. Addiction is a form of illness, and the addiction makes you believe that it is your only way of life. Pete has spoken very openly about his addictions and only recently did an interview about him trying to give up and the difficulties in doing so. to say things like 'the best thing he can do is od' and branding him a 'junkie c**t' I think is wrong.

I throughouly enjoyed seeing him last week, seeing imo one of the best lyricist of our time, and that's how he should be remembered. We don't remember elvis for being a 'junkie', we remember him as the king of rock and roll.

Edited by Chief Scout