• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gucci Piggy

• the wonderwhy

• dentalplan

• Com Truise

Cheers for the feedback. I wouldn't take what Eavis has said about the headliners too seriously, he contradicts himself multiple times every year. He'll say the headliners aren't booked yet in December.

I hear what you're saying about Arctics and QOTSA not headlining R+L but the Arctics thing is just a nonsense pattern, they will play UK festivals. QOTSA it's understandable that you might think not but it's still very much up for debate.

There's increasing rumours from press releases and stuff that Oasis are to reunite, if they do they'll certainly be at T and V. Rihanna is having a year off too.

Chase and Status aren't too big as a headlining act for Bestival. There have been much bigger headliners.

Chase and Status won't headline T after subbing this year. Arcade Fire for T is possible.

Faithless got back together this year.

Edited by dentalplan

Was just about to put Faithless aren't back together but someone beat me to it!

Still saying Knife Party at Download, The Prodigy headline V and TITP and Pendulum sub at Reading.

Edit - and probably Deadmau5 to headline second stage at V and TITP too, can see Reading booking Calvin Harris finally too, played V FAR too much

Edited by luckysalt

Oh. Well I didn't know that. Shit.

What's a PA set?

Personal Appearance. It doesn't actually mean they mix/perform the songs live, or necessarily even sing.

Pre-breakup they used to have a live band playing the songs, while Rollo and Maxi Jazz would mix the other bits live and sing themselves. Now it's a stripped down, "go and press play on a laptop" type set where all they really do is turn up, stand there and occasionally say something*

Faithless now aren't performers, and the type of set they do won't have anywhere near the same pulling power as they did even 5 years ago, let alone at their peak. They're not writing music, they're not touring. They just do a few sets a year with minimal set-up.

*I do hate that people often say this about electronic bands and how they don't "play live", but in this case it's pretty damn accurate.

Still saying Knife Party at Download, The Prodigy headline V and TITP and Pendulum sub at Reading.

Edit - and probably Deadmau5 to headline second stage at V and TITP too, can see Reading booking Calvin Harris finally too, played V FAR too much

I don't think The Prodigy can headline either of those with the amount of more appealing acts available. IOW possibly, they often seem to get the raw deal.

I don't think Pendulum will be back, Rob hates it. Deadmau5 perhaps, could even show up at R+L if V don't go for him. Can't see Calvin Harris doing it though, I think he'll headline Other at Glasto though.

Personal Appearance. It doesn't actually mean they mix/perform the songs live, or necessarily even sing.

Pre-breakup they used to have a live band playing the songs, while Rollo and Maxi Jazz would mix the other bits live and sing themselves. Now it's a stripped down, "go and press play on a laptop" type set where all they really do is turn up, stand there and occasionally say something*

Faithless now aren't performers, and the type of set they do won't have anywhere near the same pulling power as they did even 5 years ago, let alone at their peak. They're not writing music, they're not touring. They just do a few sets a year with minimal set-up.

*I do hate that people often say this about electronic bands and how they don't "play live", but in this case it's pretty damn accurate.

That's a bit of a money spinning cop out. Fuck them. Although Maxi Jazz must be in his 90's now so maybe it's fair enough.

I told Muppetmark they'd reunited. This is gonna break his heart.

Edited by dentalplan

That's a bit of a money spinning cop out. Fuck them. Although Maxi Jazz must be in his 90's now so maybe it's fair enough.

I told Muppetmark they'd reunited. This is gonna break his heart.

Yeah. I saw them a couple of times before the split and they were ace live. Saw the Faithless PA at SGP this year and it felt a bit pointless.

I don't mind so much because they're not making a big deal of it, or trying to pretend the show isn't what it is. They don't even update their official site to reference these new 'performances'. They just leave any of that to the promoter, turn up and do it. I can't say I wouldn't accept similar paydays.

Hardly the same time, Knife Party early June, Pendulum end of August, 2 and a half months.

Heck Quicksand and Deftones performed hours apart at Reading.

Yeah but you'd assume both would play more than just one festival...

(Plus its been said multiple times Pendulum aren't doing anything live anyway)

Edited by MattDavies__

Pretty good read - http://www.moonproject.co.uk/biffy-clyro-saviours-uk-festival/

I'm starting to agree with the prospect of Paramore headlining. Even though their music isn't for me, I'm sure plenty of people felt the same way about Biffy as I do about Paramore, when they were announced. But it's definitely bands like Biffy, qotsa, paramore that need pushing up, and pretty immediately. I'll take qotsa headlining next year, and Paramore in 2015. Hell they can both headline next year as long as the rest of the lineup is as good as this year.

Agree IOW is a good bet, Kasabian played Glasto in 09

What about Elbow? By the sounds of what Eavis has said they won't be playing Glasto and it's well documented that Festival Republic really rate them.

nah he didn't. He hinted that they won't be headlining it, don't bet against a sub slot at all, he may well feel they just aren't ready for it yet, I'd agree. Their sub slot in 2011 wasn't close to a headline set.

can't see Pendulum playing next year really, I'd see the year after though

I don't think The Prodigy can headline either of those with the amount of more appealing acts available. IOW possibly, they often seem to get the raw deal.

I don't think Pendulum will be back, Rob hates it. Deadmau5 perhaps, could even show up at R+L if V don't go for him. Can't see Calvin Harris doing it though, I think he'll headline Other at Glasto though.

They should be looking at Calvin to be honest. He'd be the best option for them as the C&S similar genre booking. He can easily do both, it's not as issue. As long as it was a big selling more mainstream artist with chart success I reckon it'd go down well.

I think The Prodigy could do IOW if they are only given 2nd stage/sub slots at fest next year.

Pretty good read - http://www.moonproject.co.uk/biffy-clyro-saviours-uk-festival/

I'm starting to agree with the prospect of Paramore headlining. Even though their music isn't for me, I'm sure plenty of people felt the same way about Biffy as I do about Paramore, when they were announced. But it's definitely bands like Biffy, qotsa, paramore that need pushing up, and pretty immediately. I'll take qotsa headlining next year, and Paramore in 2015. Hell they can both headline next year as long as the rest of the lineup is as good as this year.

Agreed, there does need to be a new range coming through. I'd rather it wasn't both of them and just one but that one is a personal preference.

Personally don't think there is enough depth for the festival to book further down to carry both off. paramore in 2015 makes no sense, album had been out a bit now, it'll be a fair while it's out to play Reading next year, 12 months later they'd need a new album and there's no guarantee there

Why are people referencing the fact that R&L and Download are run by the same company? They're not. R&L are run by Festival Republic, who shares fall to Live Nation and MCD. Although Download's bosses bosses will want both festivals to live side by side, they are both still fighting against each other for acts and customers. Benn and Copping will both be after some of the same acts - one won't say to the other, 'you know what, X-artist is more suited to your festival - you have them'. If they think an act will sell tickets and is at least loosly what their customer base will want to see, they will book them for their festival regardless of what the other has to say about it. We should seriously stop comparing the two, saying they're owned by the same company, and using this in an argument as it really doesn't matter! :P

Of course there will be some some collusion between the two and of course it matters. It might not personally be Copping and Benn but there is a vested interest that both succeed which is why there are loose arrangements between the two and you don't get bands playing the main stage at both festivals, why bands playing Download sometimes aren't announced for R&L until Download has passed, etc. Due to the calender there isn't going to be as much fighting between R&L and Download as there is between R&L and V and due to touring cycles the decsion of which to play is pretty much made up but when the band is available, but to assume that Download and R&L will compete as strongly as R&L and V is a bit naiive.

Edited by mrtourette