• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gucci Piggy

• the wonderwhy

• dentalplan

• Com Truise

while i can't guarantee as nothing until confirmed is. festival promoters will work together to do whats best for their fest, be in talks with the same act etc so this happens.

T and V option share, they have a promoter that works for both of them. Same with T and R&L, Download and R&L are run by the same company. But naturally while one promoter will work sign one band for eg to two fests, another will sign a band to one of them same fests and a different one.

you say on the off chance, the only chance it hasn't been in 7 years is the year it could not happen, I think I'm talking enough sense here to say it's more than just another pattern. I'd say there is a very keen interest there for both to share a headliner and this year although Mumford were seen as the poor choice, it wasn't going to be anyone else announced for that 3rd Glasto header.

Well up until Mumford being given the headline slot late on, Glastonbury were obviously trying to a book a third headliner that wasn't headlining T, so if they'd have got what they wanted they wouldn't have shared. If Fleetwood Mac had been available they'd have headlined Glastonbury instead of Mumford, and they wouldn't have shared a headliner.

As I said, it happens often because they book similar types of acts who have to available at a similar time, but they could easily not share.

Why are people referencing the fact that R&L and Download are run by the same company? They're not. R&L are run by Festival Republic, who shares fall to Live Nation and MCD. Although Download's bosses bosses will want both festivals to live side by side, they are both still fighting against each other for acts and customers. Benn and Copping will both be after some of the same acts - one won't say to the other, 'you know what, X-artist is more suited to your festival - you have them'. If they think an act will sell tickets and is at least loosly what their customer base will want to see, they will book them for their festival regardless of what the other has to say about it. We should seriously stop comparing the two, saying they're owned by the same company, and using this in an argument as it really doesn't matter! :P

Well up until Mumford being given the headline slot late on, Glastonbury were obviously trying to a book a third headliner that wasn't headlining T, so if they'd have got what they wanted they wouldn't have shared. If Fleetwood Mac had been available they'd have headlined Glastonbury instead of Mumford, and they wouldn't have shared a headliner.

As I said, it happens often because they book similar types of acts who have to available at a similar time, but they could easily not share.

The important bit here is like I've said before acts aren't free what they want and then as you pointed out the act ended up being a T act.

I get what you're saying but however it's dressed up, they still ended up sharing an act, even on a year that The Stones played (this would've been the except to the rule this year most likely as if The Stones hadn't of done it and they've have got FM they still would need to fill a open slot. Along comes Mumford or Rihanna for that Sat birth.

Just to be clear, there was no official info more than Neil's own thoughts that Mumford were mean't for the sat sub slot.

Why are people referencing the fact that R&L and Download are run by the same company? They're not. R&L are run by Festival Republic, who shares fall to Live Nation and MCD. Although Download's bosses bosses will want both festivals to live side by side, they are both still fighting against each other for acts and customers. Benn and Copping will both be after some of the same acts - one won't say to the other, 'you know what, X-artist is more suited to your festival - you have them'. If they think an act will sell tickets and is at least loosly what their customer base will want to see, they will book them for their festival regardless of what the other has to say about it. We should seriously stop comparing the two, saying they're owned by the same company, and using this in an argument as it really doesn't matter! :P

This is basically what I mean. In a way, R&L and Download will go up against each other for acts but the two promotions actually go hand in hand.

Paramore is a decent shout actually Andre.

QOTSA: I doubt they will headline. They subbed download. What's happened since then to warrant the step up?

Arctics: Don't think so. Personally think they will tour America heavily next summer. They did their european summer festival tour this year. And it's well documented that they don't seem too keen on the fest after 2009, so would be very odd to do a one off performance.

Arcade Fire. 4 years is not a large enough gap. Reading does not repeat headliners, they like to keep the line up fresh. This is not V festival. Will play Glastonbury and TITP

Metallica: New album out, but would seem odd to go in completely the opposite direction they did for this year's headliners. Put PJ in that category too.

I'm going for:

Paramore

Prodigy

Mumford and Sons

I know it's appalling.

Arctics: Don't think so. Personally think they will tour America heavily next summer. They did their european summer festival tour this year. And it's well documented that they don't seem too keen on the fest after 2009, so would be very odd to do a one off performance.

Surely Arctics could do both the US and the UK though? Like do Coachella ad other early US festivals (not really sure of many) and then come back to do reading and Leeds? Just a thought

Paramore is a decent shout actually Andre.

QOTSA: I doubt they will headline. They subbed download. What's happened since then to warrant the step up?

All of this confuses me. How can you say that about QOTSA and then say Paramore will headline?

And this new Arctics pattern is stupid. Who says they can't do another European summer fest tour this year? They can do T, R&L, Rock Werchter, Rock en Seine, Rock im Park, BBK, there are loads that I'm sure would be happy to have them.

How is Metallica the opposite direction to what they went this year? The main stage was considerably heavier than the previous years. The only change in the headliners this year was that there was no indie band, so actually having Mumford would be going in "completely the opposite direction". Also the headliners will never be that weak as a set.

Surely Arctics could do both the US and the UK though? Like do Coachella ad other early US festivals (not really sure of many) and then come back to do reading and Leeds? Just a thought

That is a fair point. I just don't think it is going to happen and will not be persuaded otherwise :P

All of this confuses me. How can you say that about QOTSA and then say Paramore will headline?

And this new Arctics pattern is stupid. Who says they can't do another European summer fest tour this year? They can do T, R&L, Rock Werchter, Rock en Seine, Rock im Park, BBK, there are loads that I'm sure would be happy to have them.

Paramore have released another album.

If a band wants to remain relevant and keep festival promoters interested in them they can't completely saturate the fest market. If they played every single major festival in europe, there are going to be far fewer who would want them again next album tour.

How is Metallica the opposite direction to what they went this year? The main stage was considerably heavier than the previous years. The only change in the headliners this year was that there was no indie band, so actually having Mumford would be going in "completely the opposite direction". Also the headliners will never be that weak as a set.

I would argue that Metallica are very different to Green Day. Green Day of late is pop music masquerading as a rock band.

The festival is heading more towards dance/shit pop music. Are Mumford and Sons really indie? Mumford and sons are the biggest british band around at the moment. Prodigy are the biggest dance act around. Paramore is weak, but the festival is has done controversial bookings in the past. Thinking about it they're unlikely. Not sure who else though.

Don't say Arctic Monkeys....

Paramore have released another album.

If a band wants to remain relevant and keep festival promoters interested in them they can't completely saturate the fest market. If they played every single major festival in europe, there are going to be far fewer who would want them again next album tour.

and QOTSA haven't?

you do realise how many festivals there are in europe right? there are loads they could play this year and still have enough left for multiple more cycles

I would argue that Metallica are very different to Green Day. Green Day of late is pop music masquerading as a rock band.

The festival is heading more towards dance/shit pop music. Are Mumford and Sons really indie? Mumford and sons are the biggest british band around at the moment. Prodigy are the biggest dance act around. Paramore is weak, but the festival is has done controversial bookings in the past. Thinking about it they're unlikely. Not sure who else though.

Don't say Arctic Monkeys....

yeah except the vital flaw in this is that the only dance/"shit pop" on the main this year was Eminem, c&s and FOB.