28176 replies to this topic

#2281 jump

jump

"That's what I said"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,634 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

And if people didn't download illegally...oh don't get me started.

That's unrelated, bands have been charging as much as they could for tixs long before illegal downloads.

#2282 thetime

thetime

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

That's unrelated, bands have been charging as much as they could for tixs long before illegal downloads.

Totally related.

Gig tickets are a lot more expensive than they used to be and well above inflation.

I think its agreed that's one of the main reason is the thieves downloading illegal music.

You also only have to look at festival prices from 10 years ago to see the increase.

#2283 BTK1609

BTK1609

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

i suppose.

Also how was GnR?

Turn up on time?

Turned up at 10.50 and played till 1.35. I had a hotel and corporate tickets booked as a birthday present to the mrs as I knew that otherwise I would have ended up walking out. I drank through the whole show but in all honesty I thought they were excellent. Axl is a total twat as we all know but when it comes to performing he is one of a kind.

#2284 jump

jump

"That's what I said"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,634 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Totally related.

Gig tickets are a lot more expensive than they used to be and well above inflation.

I think its agreed that's one of the main reason is the thieves downloading illegal music.

You also only have to look at festival prices from 10 years ago to see the increase.

That's been due to an expanding market in live music. It's true that bands tour more than use to which is related to loss of money from downloads but the price as I've already said it's due to them charging what they can.

Edited by jump, 08 June 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#2285 thetime

thetime

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

That's been due to an expanding market in live music. It's true that bands tour more than use to which is related to loss of money from downloads but the price as I've already said it's due to them charging what they can.

I wonder when fans think enough is enough that's far to expensive? I would only pay over 50 quid to see 2 acts being radiohead and Bjork.

There's got to be a limit on festivals when people think enough, 220 quid is far to much.

#2286 jump

jump

"That's what I said"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,634 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

I wonder when fans think enough is enough that's far to expensive? I would only pay over 50 quid to see 2 acts being radiohead and Bjork.

There's got to be a limit on festivals when people think enough, 220 quid is far to much.

Depends on how many people are willing to spend that much money, if you go on the likes of viagogo tixs go over £100 for a solo gig with plenty of demand for them and even then the likes of Madonna, Muse etc charge £60 from the proper tix agents. I did decide not to go to see Radiohead & Rush because tixs were too expensive but I'm not a big fan of either.

I reckon the reason why so many of my favourite bands like Skints, Frank Turner, Big D & The Kids Table etc are my favourite bands because they charge so little to see them so after going to see them because they are a cheap night out so many times my fondness for them grew that way.

#2287 rug568

rug568

AWESOM-O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Bands will charge however much they can get away with.

I don't think bands charge so much money for gigs because of music downloads. Even if everybody bought music, they would still charge the same because there is a shit load of money to be made.

Muse are charging so much because they know it will be an instant sell out whatever the price and other bands do the same.

#2288 Vieuphoria

Vieuphoria

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

I illegally download. Sorry.

But if it's ok... I tend to download albums I own (which aren't on Spotify, as I have my CD collection is storage atm). Or bands who I don't have the money to buy albums of yet, but I will do in the coming weeks. I don't really think that's bad?

#2289 jump

jump

"That's what I said"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,634 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I illegally download. Sorry.

But if it's ok... I tend to download albums I own (which aren't on Spotify, as I have my CD collection is storage atm). Or bands who I don't have the money to buy albums of yet, but I will do in the coming weeks. I don't really think that's bad?

You sicken me!

#2290 Vieuphoria

Vieuphoria

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Not sure if joking?

#2291 The Mean Bean

The Mean Bean

First of the gang to die

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

I don't illegally download, but I do buy my CDs and Vinyl almost exclusively second hand, so I suppose I must be as bad as these illegal downloaders, sorry for inflating your ticket prices, feel free to lay some holier-than-thou on me.

#2292 BTK1609

BTK1609

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Those of you who illegally download had better hope that Lars Ulrich isn't reading this thread!

#2293 thesecretingredientiscrime

thesecretingredientiscrime

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

I don't think bands charge so much money for gigs because of music downloads. Even if everybody bought music, they would still charge the same because there is a shit load of money to be made.

There definitely is an impact. Acts themselves have stated how they have to tour more and increase prices, because of the drop in sales. Acts only get a minute percentage of sales, so a small amount of a decreasing amount is... erm, well very little.

#2294 Vieuphoria

Vieuphoria

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

I don't illegally download, but I do buy my CDs and Vinyl almost exclusively second hand, so I suppose I must be as bad as these illegal downloaders, sorry for inflating your ticket prices, feel free to lay some holier-than-thou on me.

This is a very good point actually. I do this too.

I used to work at Game, and they make the most money from pre-owned games because they didn't have to pay royalties (or whatever it's called). The makers of the games tried combatting this by releasing single use codes and such in games, but i'm not sure how the music industry could do something similar. Gamers want add-ons to their game, so if buying full price brand new gets them that, then they will. But music fans just want the music, I doubt they'd be willing to pay more for extra stuff.

#2295 LondonTom

LondonTom

Raging Alcoholic

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,390 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

There definitely is an impact. Acts themselves have stated how they have to tour more and increase prices, because of the drop in sales. Acts only get a minute percentage of sales, so a small amount of a decreasing amount is... erm, well very little.

Think its a bit like "hollywood accounting" for most acts, the acts charging 60 quid a pop are hardly in the shitter.

That said I'd pay it for Muse :P but if they weren't one of my favs I wouldn't.

#2296 Will-2609

Will-2609

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,639 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Well me and my friends have now decided we're all going to the Birmingham show. The price was a bit off putting, but oh well, I'm 16 so I don't need money for anything else but gigs. :P

#2297 Vieuphoria

Vieuphoria

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

drugs and bitches?

#2298 Will-2609

Will-2609

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,639 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

I keep my nose clean ;)

#2299 thetime

thetime

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

I keep my nose clean ;)

Virgin boy!

#2300 BTK1609

BTK1609

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

Well me and my friends have now decided we're all going to the Birmingham show. The price was a bit off putting, but oh well, I'm 16 so I don't need money for anything else but gigs. :P

Good man! When you are an old fart with a mrs and kids your money won't be your own (even the cat and dog are above me in the priority list) so spend it while you can!

Saying all that I am going to try and get a pair on the quiet I think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users