2013 Lineup

Guest Dukeeyyy

They're alright. I don't mind them. I've seen them 3 or 4 times. At Reading they were really good but had a tiny crowd, at Glasto they were shite, and at Brixton they were pretty good. My ex was a huge fan hence why i've seen them more than I would normally. But their first album was perfectly fine, 2nd was alright. They're nothing special but they're far from being a bad band.

• Replies 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetime

• mrtourette

• Mouseboy11

• the wonderwhy

I saw the courteeners at the manchester appollo in december, One of the least enjoyable gigs I've been to for a while, and the 3rd album stuff sounded dreadful, a song titled welcome to the rave, just no liam!

Would have given anything to be at download, but watching the crowd on some videos on YouTube, it looked kinda stale. Chase and Status were the biggest shock- They are incredible live I've seen em twice, the crowd was small and lifeless. I don't know whether people boycotted them because of how high they were placed or what have you. Heard the same about Refused too...

Having experienced just one day there I think it's safe to say the conditions were the main factor in the atmosphere. The site is just massive and trudging round in what was basically clay was bloody hard work.

The crowds for Metallica and Corey Taylor were certainly not lifeless though, two of the best performances I have ever seen.

Edited by BTK1609

The crowd at download definitely wasnt lifeless, but you could tell the conditions caused a lot of strain. I've been to a few muddy festivals now and that was definitely the most draining. The wednesday and thursday were horrible weather too so a lot of the weekenders were drained from the start and you could the there was definitely less energy than previous years. But still some amazing sets, and Chaase and Status got a decent response, but I really don't think they were ready for that kind of show, especially not at download.

Well you might aswel just steal a car then aswel.

It beggers belief where a forum that is into music admits to ripping the artists of like illegal downloaders and the crap they try and justify it with.

I suppose its thus generation that will miss trawling through record shops looking for something obscure or hearing a song in the shop from a artist they don't know and buying the album.

Where's the excitement, where's the beauty gone?

Im not gonna write an essay, but I think that illegal downloading has changed the way the music industry works, though not necessarily for better or worse. Because of it's ease and the fact it's free, distributors have had to come up with better services if they wish to compete, and it also means it's far easier to discover new music and bands, which is why I don't think as many bands are getting huge these days, but thats another issue.

Though I don't like the though that the artists get nothing for writing the music, I feel more like its the industry and distributors that are suffering. I don't think it's the big drain on artists that it's made out to be. And how many artist's could put out their music for free realistically, even if they wanted to? They have contract with labels which means they can't.

Btw I've never illegally downloaded any music in my life, buy a CD from Record Collector in Sheffield most weeks, and just generally prefer CDs. I think it's just a change, and services like amazon are more to blame for the decline in record shops.