• Replies 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetime

• mrtourette

• Mouseboy11

• the wonderwhy

That didn't stop them from booking Kasabian but yeah, Download & Soni got away with it by the skins of their teeth with them being part of the big 4 & playing the Black album and even the people booking say they are a boring booking.

I agree they would they be a boring booking but no more than the Foo's this year or Muse last. And the Metallica day was the first (and I think only) day to sell out at Download just like the Foo's day was the first day to sell out at Reading this year.

I think the booking team are damned is they do and damned if they don't at the minute. Book someone obvious who will sell tickets and it is unimaginative, promote someone and they will be accused of not being big enough, think outside the box (The Cure for example) and they risk alienating the traditional demographic.

Except it's different. Last year was the first UK festival Foo's had played in four years, where as next year, if Metallica played, it would be their third English festival in three years. If R&L really wanted to rediscover the Download/Soni crowd which has apparently deserted them, would it not be better to go to a headliner who hadn't done that? (I do realise Foo's have played their own UK shows in that time).

Edited by BTK1609

Realistically there are only a few bands from the Download/Soni demographic capable of headlining though. Slipknot - probably won't be over here next year and if they are look nailed on for Download. Maiden - would they fit in at R&L anymore, I really don't know. Linkin Park - with the direction they seem to be heading would any festival really want them? SOAD and RATM are the only possibilities I can see and while both are fantastic neither are anywhere near Metallica's size.

With regards to the Foo's agreed they have not been round as much as Metallica but they are another band that are fairly over exposed and called an unimaginative booking by many.

For the record I am not saying Metallica should definately headline 2013 or 2014. The point I was getting at was that there are not many alternatives.

From what I understand the Download worthy headline bands are getting few and far between because people just can't move on from Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath etc... They are not gonna go on forever. This is why BFMV and A7X are being bumped, because the next stage for them is headlining, maybe not R&L till like 2014/15. QOSTA could pull off headlining with a good new album but have they reached their peak?

Rammstein are a longshot but it's not impossible.

Edited by GRichards23

I agree, but I think there's others they can turn to ahead of Metallica though. One of the reasons headline acts are getting few and far between is because fests keep returning to the same headliners. I can see a case for them headlining again in the future, but if you look at the acts DL/Soni have booked who haven't played R&L, I think there's a case for R&L using them, ahead of Metallica, if they do choose to go down that route of headliner. I do realise there's a bit of a crisis affecting Download and their headliners at the same time, but I'd argue there's a pool of headliners R&L could book from Download and Soni already in existence since they've turned away from that type of act. After all, they will need someone else to fill in the five year time period soon ;)

I would be happy with any of those (as long as Linkin Park played nothing too recent) but it goes back to the point on the last page about needing a big headliner and for the R&L demographic I'm not sure any of those fit the bill in the way Metallica, Foo's, Muse, Green Day, Blur do. Apart from Blur none of the others are a realistic possibility next year which is why I think rightly or wrongly there is a very strong chance of Metallica playing.