• Replies 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetime

• mrtourette

• Mouseboy11

• the wonderwhy

I've always been confused about that Sunday at Reading 2000. Why were Rage so low? Had their stock dipped that much, only for them to headline off the back of a reunion? I always thought they were massive. Apologies if this is a silly question, I was 4 at the time so I don't know. :P

Their stock had dropped and as far as I remmeber there wasn't much interest in their set. They didn't have a particularly big crowd, not like you would expect if a headline band were playing lower down for whatever reason.

From memory, I think they were just a decent sized rock/metal/alt (however you want to pigeonhole them) band - a few hits, but no bigger than the Deftones or Blink (who at the time had much bigger hits), both played similar slots either that year or 01. I suppose KITN was a big hit in the rock/indie clubs, but they weren't close to the same level of mainstream popularity of the Foo's or Metallica.

If anything I'm surprised how big they became as a result of the reunion. I suppose there was the Xmas No 1 campaign that got a lot of hype in the press before they reformed.

Yeah, 2000 is the best line-up Leeds has had IMO. People in this topic are talking about how amazing the Slipknot/RATM day looked, but what about the day with Foos, Primal Scream and Oasis back to back?

I think Reading and Leeds were unmovable in terms of the sheer quality of line-up from 1999 to around 2005/2006. Every line-up in those years looked spectacular and the other festival line-ups around then weren't as strong. Since then though the strength in bands booked has been quite inconsistent (although 2008 and 2010 were both mammoth line-ups)

(I know music is subjective by the way :P )

Edited by VCK

READING FRIDAY/LEEDS SATURDAY

MAIN STAGE

Biffy Clyro

Pendulum

White Lies

Lostprophets

Frank Turner

A Day To Remember

Twin Atlantic

Streetlight Manifesto

We Are The In Crowd

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Vampire Weekend

Warpaint

READING SATURDAY/LEEDS SUNDAY

MAIN STAGE

Arctic Monkeys

The Flaming Lips

Miles Kane

Noah And The Whale

Death Cab For Cutie

Tribes

The Joy Formidable

Jack Penate

Girls

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Placebo

Rise Against

READING SUNDAY/LEEDS FRIDAY

MAIN STAGE

Green Day

Soundgarden

You Me At Six

Public Enemy

Rancid

Dropkick Murphys

Young Guns

Silverstein

Turbonegro

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Chase And Status

The Enemy

I can't see Arctic Monkey's new album being out by the festival,and doubt they'd be booked without new material. But, if they did have their new album out I suppose R&L would be one of the most likely festivals for them. In any case, I'd love it. :)

Well I'm missing this year for the first time since 99 so hopefully nexct year will be decent enough to lure me back. Glasto is a definate (ticket depending) for next year, I'll hopefully be doing another two, it'l be between Rockness, Bestival and Leeds. Can see it being Glasto/Leeds/Bestival next year which would be fucking fantstic in my book. Just hope Leeds get someone decent like Blur.

For those interested, Bloc Party are seemingly recording a new video at the moment. Hopefully it'll be released soon and we'll be able to see the standard of their new material. May give an indication of whether we think they could justify a bump up to headliners. :)

I've slagged off Dizzee Rascal on this forum before, saying how he isn't really worthy of high mainstage slots etc, but I've just got back from his headline slot at Newcastle's Evolution Festival, and I can openly say its the best show I've ever seen. It even topped the several Arctic Monkeys AND Kings Of Leon shows I've seen

Blown away.