Live From Jodrell Bank 002

Guest pryce

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh it's been a long time since I posted anything on efestivals. The 'babee' rides again!

Nice to see the place again, although it's somewhat more fancy since I was last round these parts.

Anyway, just to say I am looking forward to this having got some tickets this morning. Seen Elbow countless times, however the setting is what has sold it to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what time the music started last year? I didn't get my finger out quick enough so the 1.30pm buses from Manchester were fully booked, so am on the 3.30pm. Going on the Elbow day, they were incredible at Glastonbury last year so hoping the venue will be amazing for them.

Also, any rumours for the support? I see Latitude have announced Elbow and Weller for Saturday / Sunday, so can we expect to see a bit of crossover? A few M83 shouts in this thread, they're playing Latitude, as are Bat For Lashes who I've been hoping to see for a while.

Anyone know what time the music started last year? I didn't get my finger out quick enough so the 1.30pm buses from Manchester were fully booked, so am on the 3.30pm. Going on the Elbow day, they were incredible at Glastonbury last year so hoping the venue will be amazing for them.

Also, any rumours for the support? I see Latitude have announced Elbow and Weller for Saturday / Sunday, so can we expect to see a bit of crossover? A few M83 shouts in this thread, they're playing Latitude, as are Bat For Lashes who I've been hoping to see for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi folks,

I'm sorry to hijack the post, and this may sound like a stupid/newbie question but here goes. They have been quite strict about you not bringing any alcohol on site, however purse strings are tight and I'm probably going to try and sneak some in. If caught trying to bring booze in, am I likely to be told I can't come in full stop and have my ticket taken away, or will the drink just be confiscated.

The way I'm looking at it, as money isn't great at the moment, the risk of losing a cheap bottle of vodka in a water bottle, I can handle. What I can't risk is losing my ticket and the chance to see the gig.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the risk? Again sorry for bringing up an unrelated topic, but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by SharksInThePool

Few of my mates went yesterday and seems it was a bit of a nightmare. Insufficient food and drink places so massive queues - you're not allowed to take stuff in. And it took over an hour and a half to get out of the car park due to weather and lack of stewards. Girlfriend came home starving and caked in mud at past 2am and we don't live that far away!

yeah, its been cancelled-

"

Weather forces axing of Paul Weller gig at Jodrell Bank

_61106311_61104543.jpg Paul Weller said he was "extremely disappointed" he could not play the show

A Paul Weller concert in Cheshire has been cancelled because of bad weather, organisers have said.

Elbow performed at the open-air venue on Saturday night as part of a Live From Jodrell Bank concert.

However, event director Jon Drape said the site was now "unfit to accommodate crowds".

"We are unable to deliver the concert safely," he said, adding all ticket holders would get a refund.

Weller said he was "extremely disappointed" the show was not going ahead.

Jodrell Bank, home to the Lovell telescope, has seen crowds of up to 20,000 watch concerts by The Flaming Lips, British Sea Power, OKGO and Alice Gold.

The bill for Weller's show also featured Gomez, Graham Coxon and The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18570083

First of all, let me see Elbow were fantasic last night and played an incredible set.

However, the organisation around this event was extremely poor. We queued for over an hour for a burger, and the bars were rammed. For a massive beer tent, there were only four beer taps which took forever to pour (about 20-30 seconds each pint). We ended up buying a bottle of wine because we couldn't be bothered joining the queue again.

But, worst of all was the bus situation. We were booked on one of the official coaches, which dropped us off at the main entrance to the site and we were told we would be picked up at that exact spot at midnight. Our bus didn't turn up. It seems we weren't the only bus in this situation. Loads of people stood in the tipping rain and freezing cold, speaking to several stewards and officials but they all fobbed us off to someone else who had no answers.

At about 1am several arguments broke out amongst unhappy punters and stewards. It was a desperate situation, the site is miles from anywhere. We eventually managed to get a taxi all the way back to Manchester at about 1.45am, having stood on a country lane in the pitch dark, tipping rain and cold for 2 hours.

We weren't the only one in this situation, the people we shared a taxi with back and I will certainly be wanting a refund for our taxi and for the bus which we paid £15 for.

Once again, Elbow were fantasic and I thoroughly enjoyed their set. But unbelievably poor organisation, I will never go back to this festival.

Edited by alfoir

You'd have thought they'd have had more Build A Rocket Boys taps in the circumstances, or even bottles (guess Robinsons don't run to plastic?). There were plenty of pints of Dark Side pre-pulled but everyone was ordering the Elbow ale funnily enough and there just weren't enough taps at any of the bars.

Great gig though, loved the science area too.

Elbow obviously awesome... the dish, the fireworks, the rain all made it pretty special. We ate while one of the bands were on and only queued for 10 mins. Bar queues were pretty long but I didn't think unreasonably so. We got the coach too, we were off site and on our way 30 mins after elbow finished. Top night and thanks to the organisers who it looked like worked through some pretty tough conditions. to make it happen.

Elbow as amazing as ever. Bloody love them!

With regards to the organisation, we stayed in the Discovery arena most of the day and although there were queues for beer, loos and food we fared ok, and manged to be quite lucky with that.

I do think that maybe they could have had people pouring and others serving in the tents like they do at other festivals and events. And yes BARB in plastic bottles would have been a godsend. Oh and also the staff behind the bars, some were pretty useless, didnt know what real ale was what and couldnt add up.

As for getting out, we were pointed in the wrong direction for getting the coach back and when we finally realised we were going the wrong way, trying to get back with the rain coming down and lack of lighting was pretty horrendous. Falling down ditches and over machinery, encountering barbed wire! I suprised we managed to get back in one piece.

I can completely understand why they had to cancel it for the Sunday though.

Elbow as amazing as ever. Bloody love them!

With regards to the organisation, we stayed in the Discovery arena most of the day and although there were queues for beer, loos and food we fared ok, and manged to be quite lucky with that.

I do think that maybe they could have had people pouring and others serving in the tents like they do at other festivals and events. And yes BARB in plastic bottles would have been a godsend. Oh and also the staff behind the bars, some were pretty useless, didnt know what real ale was what and couldnt add up.

As for getting out, we were pointed in the wrong direction for getting the coach back and when we finally realised we were going the wrong way, trying to get back with the rain coming down and lack of lighting was pretty horrendous. Falling down ditches and over machinery, encountering barbed wire! I suprised we managed to get back in one piece.

I can completely understand why they had to cancel it for the Sunday though.

Blimey, I’ve waited a long time for my first post. Anyway went to this with the other half last Saturday and had a great time. The location was unique and there was a great atmosphere. As interesting as the science exhibits were (and they were interesting) the main draw was the bands and, on the whole, they didn’t disappoint. Most of all thought that Elbow put in a storming performance, and really enjoyed Cherry Ghost too (Li Anne La Havas was also a nice surprise).

We got there pretty early (due to being on one of the official buses), and got in relatively quickly and without trouble (contrary to reports from last year we found the security guys on the door to be really friendly). We also got a drink and some food really quickly and were impressed with the relatively sane pricing. That’s not to say that there weren’t problems, some of which were really irritating, however the sloppy bar service has already been mentioned.

This could be a really good festival with a little more attention.