Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Live From Jodrell Bank 002

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#21 onthebeach

onthebeach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

First of all, the point that people would see Elbow play anywhere is pretty void given fans of Flaming Lips would see them play anywhere so I don't really get it

Very fair point, would and have seen the Lips here and overseas but this one was special for us particularly as finally got to meet and chat with Wayne and Steven. It was an amazing venue that just suited the whole joyous atmosphere and especially the music perfectly.

On reflection, it will be hard to top this (its going to be a personal thing really) but I really wish that whichever artist/band you see that you have just a fantastic time as we did, as it truly is a great venue.

#22 onthebeach

onthebeach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

There are bands I'd have loved to have seen announced, Hedgehog's already mentioned Explosions in the Sky and Spiritualized, I think getting Sufjan Stevens across the pond would be great. While he's Christian and his themes are spiritual rather than science/spacey, he puts on a fantastic live show, doesn't do many shows and often chooses slightly interesting venues, and would make a major effort to make it special.

Oh - good shout. Saw Sufjan last year in Barcelona and he could definately pull it off with (another personal favourite) Mercury Rev sublining.

Soft Bulletin live was sublime. Would have also liked to have gone to Eden but Cornwall, London and Jodrell Bank on three consecutive days would have been a a few miles to far!

#23 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

Elitist hipster supervillian

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Oh - good shout. Saw Sufjan last year in Barcelona and he could definately pull it off with (another personal favourite) Mercury Rev sublining.

Soft Bulletin live was sublime. Would have also liked to have gone to Eden but Cornwall, London and Jodrell Bank on three consecutive days would have been a a few miles to far!

He'd be one of my top choices. I saw him in London last year and that show was spectacular. Not quite as good as Soft Bulletin or Jodrell Bank, but still incredible. Went to a fair few 'perfect' gigs last year.

I had been tempted, but there was only so much I could spend on seeing one band. The two I did go to were so magical though. Incredibly special experiences.

#24 olliet101

olliet101

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

I completely understand all your points, I saw the coverage of their Glastonbury set and I can imagine it would translate on an even greater level to Jodrell Bank, I just think maybe even if Elbow will never be able to better that, hopefully Guy and the band and those who work with them on tour are savvy enough to embrace the venue and try damn hard even to match it, they've certainly got the songs.

The Northern thing was a bit vague, more that they're from that neck of the woods sorta thing and would know the place very well. Someone like Spiritualized would've been incredible though I agree, M83 not so sure given they've only been playing small UK venues so to then go somewhere like that, hmm.

#25 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

I completely understand all your points, I saw the coverage of their Glastonbury set and I can imagine it would translate on an even greater level to Jodrell Bank, I just think maybe even if Elbow will never be able to better that, hopefully Guy and the band and those who work with them on tour are savvy enough to embrace the venue and try damn hard even to match it, they've certainly got the songs.

The Northern thing was a bit vague, more that they're from that neck of the woods sorta thing and would know the place very well. Someone like Spiritualized would've been incredible though I agree, M83 not so sure given they've only been playing small UK venues so to then go somewhere like that, hmm.

I'm not so sure about M83, they were Dave's suggestion not mine, although I'd certainly like to see them. Jodrell Bank doesn't have a huge capacity though? A few thousand? Bit larger than academies?

#26 Flaminglippy

Flaminglippy

staying out for the summer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

think it was 5k last year

#27 salt

salt

tick- tock, tick - tock...

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Gosh it's been a long time since I posted anything on efestivals. The 'babee' rides again!

Nice to see the place again, although it's somewhat more fancy since I was last round these parts.

Anyway, just to say I am looking forward to this having got some tickets this morning. Seen Elbow countless times, however the setting is what has sold it to me.

#28 eFestivals

eFestivals

the value of your god may go down as well as up

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,423 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

hiya salt, good to see you back here. :)

Hope you're good.

#29 StoneCircle

StoneCircle

Love The Farm. Leave No Trace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

We have bought tickets for Elbow, looks an amazing venue! :)

Edited by StoneCircle, 01 March 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#30 Mardy

Mardy

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

We have bought tickets for Elbow, looks an amazing venue! :)

In a totally unexpected turn of events, I'll be going to this too. Meet for a pint?

#31 StoneCircle

StoneCircle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

In a totally unexpected turn of events, I'll be going to this too. Meet for a pint?

Absolutely! Are you going to both nights are just Elbow? We are meeting up with fellow efesters and Tweeters @garethslee and @janeslee too.

#32 StoneCircle

StoneCircle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Anyone after tickets for Elbow? PM me as I have 2 spare, selling at what I paid - £39.20 each + postage.

Update: Tickets now sold.

Edited by StoneCircle, 05 March 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#33 DVG81

DVG81

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Dont suppose these available? missed Elbow ones today now kicking self

#34 alfoir

alfoir

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

Anyone know what time the music started last year? I didn't get my finger out quick enough so the 1.30pm buses from Manchester were fully booked, so am on the 3.30pm. Going on the Elbow day, they were incredible at Glastonbury last year so hoping the venue will be amazing for them.

Also, any rumours for the support? I see Latitude have announced Elbow and Weller for Saturday / Sunday, so can we expect to see a bit of crossover? A few M83 shouts in this thread, they're playing Latitude, as are Bat For Lashes who I've been hoping to see for a while.

#35 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

Anyone know what time the music started last year? I didn't get my finger out quick enough so the 1.30pm buses from Manchester were fully booked, so am on the 3.30pm. Going on the Elbow day, they were incredible at Glastonbury last year so hoping the venue will be amazing for them.

Also, any rumours for the support? I see Latitude have announced Elbow and Weller for Saturday / Sunday, so can we expect to see a bit of crossover? A few M83 shouts in this thread, they're playing Latitude, as are Bat For Lashes who I've been hoping to see for a while.

Around 5.30ish? Maybe a bit later. I was on the 3.30 bus from Manchester last year and had a bit of time after getting there to chill and wander around before bands came on.

#36 alfoir

alfoir

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Around 5.30ish? Maybe a bit later. I was on the 3.30 bus from Manchester last year and had a bit of time after getting there to chill and wander around before bands came on.

Awesome, thanks. I see Graham Coxon has been announced to sub Weller, along with Baxter Dury and Little Barrie. Presumably to help sell the tickets that haven't sold yet for that day? Still no announcement for Elbow support, although see Field Music are TBC which I would presume would be the Elbow day.

Edited by alfoir, 29 March 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#37 bucko

bucko

Addicted

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

@livefromjodrellbank is annoucing elbow support tonight.

#38 pablopablo

pablopablo

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Elbow + Field Music, Cherry Ghost, Lianne La Havas, Willy Mason

Edited by pablopablo, 03 April 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#39 Mardy

Mardy

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

fucking hell, have you seen the weather forecast? 4 inches of rain predicted in the next day. Ah man...

#40 SharksInThePool

SharksInThePool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hi folks,

I'm sorry to hijack the post, and this may sound like a stupid/newbie question but here goes. They have been quite strict about you not bringing any alcohol on site, however purse strings are tight and I'm probably going to try and sneak some in. If caught trying to bring booze in, am I likely to be told I can't come in full stop and have my ticket taken away, or will the drink just be confiscated.

The way I'm looking at it, as money isn't great at the moment, the risk of losing a cheap bottle of vodka in a water bottle, I can handle. What I can't risk is losing my ticket and the chance to see the gig.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the risk? Again sorry for bringing up an unrelated topic, but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by SharksInThePool, 22 June 2012 - 03:45 PM.