Live From Jodrell Bank 002

Guest pryce

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wont be going this year neither act does anything for me.

the venue needs an amazing stage show to go with the backdrop .. flaming lips delivered perfectly

dont think these two will.... dont get me wrong both great, ther just not for me!

but will keep updating top post when more bands are announced

Definitely not going this year. Last year, there was something special about it - never been to a gig as great as that in all my life. It was apt, it was cosmic, it had the Flaming Lips next to a giant satellite dish with explosions going off everywhere, I got balloons thrown at me and Wayne Coyne crushed my head in a bubble... greatest thing in the world. This year, it's just another festival and there's nothing special or apt about it. Might see what the undercard is like but I don't hold any hope.

Not exactly the most overwhelming response on Facebook for it either.

Definitely not going this year. Last year, there was something special about it - never been to a gig as great as that in all my life. It was apt, it was cosmic, it had the Flaming Lips next to a giant satellite dish with explosions going off everywhere, I got balloons thrown at me and Wayne Coyne crushed my head in a bubble... greatest thing in the world. This year, it's just another festival and there's nothing special or apt about it. Might see what the undercard is like but I don't hold any hope.

Not exactly the most overwhelming response on Facebook for it either.

I'm so gutted about this, you know? So, so, so, so gutted. Was really looking forward to going again. I was talking the other day to my girlfriend about how it'd be bands like Spiritualized, Mogwai, M83, 65daysofstatic, Mercury Rev, Secret Machines... you know, bands that at least have some sort of association with space... but Elbow and Paul bloody Weller? Come on.

I mean, I'm sure it'll sell out and everything but it just defeats the whole purpose of putting something like this on, doesn't it? I doubt there'll even be that much spontaneity - the organisers will have to jump onstage and make people shout 'science! science! science!'. As I say, it's just another festival dotting the horizon now.

I'm so gutted about this, you know? So, so, so, so gutted. Was really looking forward to going again. I was talking the other day to my girlfriend about how it'd be bands like Spiritualized, Mogwai, M83, 65daysofstatic, Mercury Rev, Secret Machines... you know, bands that at least have some sort of association with space... but Elbow and Paul bloody Weller? Come on.

I mean, I'm sure it'll sell out and everything but it just defeats the whole purpose of putting something like this on, doesn't it? I doubt there'll even be that much spontaneity - the organisers will have to jump onstage and make people shout 'science! science! science!'. As I say, it's just another festival dotting the horizon now.

I think it adds to the whole vibe of the place, otherwise why is it special or unique? Flaming Lips last year - Wayne Coyne said that playing in a place like that surrounded by science, enthusiasm for space and ambitious minds was like their home; they should be there and would be there all the time if they could. It was probably more special seeing them there than almost anywhere in the world. It was the right music on the right day in the right place and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my life.

There's nothing remotely special about having Elbow or Paul Weller play at Jodrell Bank because they can play just about anywhere else they want. You put those bands in any old field in the Peak District and the same people that will go to Jodrell Bank would go to that - the place deserves more respect than that. Having them at Jodrell Bank just feels like a marketing gimmick; no enthusiasm for their surroundings or respect for it. It's such a cop out, and it's cynical.

i agree with you about the Weller booking. but Elbow at Jodrell Bank will be a fantastic live sceptical in my opinion.I believe they are one of the best live bands in the world at the moment, with there brand of very up lifting an unique soft rock i think it will fit the demographic of silence nuts your talking about to a tee.

not forgetting there current album is called "build a rocket boys"

i agree with you about the Weller booking. but Elbow at Jodrell Bank will be a fantastic live sceptical in my opinion.I believe they are one of the best live bands in the world at the moment, with there brand of very up lifting an unique soft rock style i think it will fit the demographic of silence nuts your talking about to a tee.

not forgetting there current album is called "build a rocket boys"

To be fair - it was going to be pretty impossible to top last years magical event - this venue was perfect for the Lips. Balloons, confetti, space bubble, projections on the dish, great crowd even an impromptu sing along of Starman during set changes with Wayne and Steven.

Impossible but the only contenders would be David Bowie or Pink Floyd.

Not my cup of tea - but I could see Muse pulling it off.

Paul Weller's an arse and will probably ignore the place but I find it stupid how people are immediately casting Elbow aside and it being a corporate decision.

First of all, the point that people would see Elbow play anywhere is pretty void given fans of Flaming Lips would see them play anywhere so I don't really get it.

Elbow are from the north and probably know the area pretty well, I don't think Guy Garvey's that stupid as to not embrace the surroundings they've been given to play live in. They want their shows to be as intimate as possible and I think he'll use the environment in such a way as to create that atmosphere, hopefully the guys behind the scenes also do the same. Fair enough if they don't then the criticism is warranted but it's a bit ignorant to just say it's a corporate thing for them to play and they won't bother using the surroundings at their disposal.

They will defo do something for Mirrorball, and they set up these drapes and really cool visuals for the o2 shows, they will have so much more to play with here.

Paul Weller's an arse and will probably ignore the place but I find it stupid how people are immediately casting Elbow aside and it being a corporate decision.

First of all, the point that people would see Elbow play anywhere is pretty void given fans of Flaming Lips would see them play anywhere so I don't really get it.

Elbow are from the north and probably know the area pretty well, I don't think Guy Garvey's that stupid as to not embrace the surroundings they've been given to play live in. They want their shows to be as intimate as possible and I think he'll use the environment in such a way as to create that atmosphere, hopefully the guys behind the scenes also do the same. Fair enough if they don't then the criticism is warranted but it's a bit ignorant to just say it's a corporate thing for them to play and they won't bother using the surroundings at their disposal.

They will defo do something for Mirrorball, and they set up these drapes and really cool visuals for the o2 shows, they will have so much more to play with here.

There are bands I'd have loved to have seen announced, Hedgehog's already mentioned Explosions in the Sky and Spiritualized, I think getting Sufjan Stevens across the pond would be great. While he's Christian and his themes are spiritual rather than science/spacey, he puts on a fantastic live show, doesn't do many shows and often chooses slightly interesting venues, and would make a major effort to make it special.

Oh - good shout. Saw Sufjan last year in Barcelona and he could definately pull it off with (another personal favourite) Mercury Rev sublining.

Soft Bulletin live was sublime. Would have also liked to have gone to Eden but Cornwall, London and Jodrell Bank on three consecutive days would have been a a few miles to far!

I completely understand all your points, I saw the coverage of their Glastonbury set and I can imagine it would translate on an even greater level to Jodrell Bank, I just think maybe even if Elbow will never be able to better that, hopefully Guy and the band and those who work with them on tour are savvy enough to embrace the venue and try damn hard even to match it, they've certainly got the songs.

The Northern thing was a bit vague, more that they're from that neck of the woods sorta thing and would know the place very well. Someone like Spiritualized would've been incredible though I agree, M83 not so sure given they've only been playing small UK venues so to then go somewhere like that, hmm.

I completely understand all your points, I saw the coverage of their Glastonbury set and I can imagine it would translate on an even greater level to Jodrell Bank, I just think maybe even if Elbow will never be able to better that, hopefully Guy and the band and those who work with them on tour are savvy enough to embrace the venue and try damn hard even to match it, they've certainly got the songs.

The Northern thing was a bit vague, more that they're from that neck of the woods sorta thing and would know the place very well. Someone like Spiritualized would've been incredible though I agree, M83 not so sure given they've only been playing small UK venues so to then go somewhere like that, hmm.