Travelling to Bestival 2012

Guest Paul ™

I've just booked tickets last night with my fiance, really looking forward to it :) The only thing is we need to get a move on coming home to Manchester as we're watching the 20/20. We've booked the 730AM ferry off the island and was aiming to be in our car for 6 or just after, has anyone does this or similar? Will we need to allow more time, or do you think 6AM will be OK to leave the site? thanks in advance for any replies!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just booked tickets last night with my fiance, really looking forward to it :) The only thing is we need to get a move on coming home to Manchester as we're watching the 20/20. We've booked the 730AM ferry off the island and was aiming to be in our car for 6 or just after, has anyone does this or similar? Will we need to allow more time, or do you think 6AM will be OK to leave the site? thanks in advance for any replies!

• 2 weeks later...

I live right opposite the Isle of Wight I never thought but wondered if I could charge for people to use my spare rooms to make some ££ for those who come to Bestival and stay before it starts.

I want to go to Bestival but don't know if to Camp possibly using Tangerine Fields or simply commute each day as The ferry terminal is close to me.

Edited by snowdragon

I live right opposite the Isle of Wight I never thought but wondered if I could charge for people to use my spare rooms to make some ££ for those who come to Bestival and stay before it starts.

I want to go to Bestival but don't know if to Camp possibly using Tangerine Fields or simply commute each day as The ferry terminal is close to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

After a lot of umming and ahhhing it looks like I will be coming be Bestival! Just need to figure out travel from Bristol now. And get the time off work. And buy a ticket. Details, details...

I will be training it down I expect so like the look of the Waverley campsite on the Wednesday/Monday night to avoid the rush and break the journey up a bit. And see everyone before the festival starts properly. Am I right in thinking I don't need to book the campsite? Won't take long to get from Bristol to Soton so would be good to meet up with people before the ferry if possible.

Anyway, big whoops all round! Will try and pop my head into the forums a bit more often to keep up to date.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. Looking at train/ferry/shuttle. Seems the cheapest I can do ferry for is £40 for a return, train will be around £30/£40, and then the shuttle bus on top of that.

Therefore it looks like the Big green bus for £79 is my best bet.. is this right? Am I missing something?

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone gone to the festival on the Thursday evening?

Basically I'm going with three mates, two who live in London, and another mate who lives near me in Oxford, however he isn't sure if he's going to go now, and I don't have a car so will have to get the train to the ferry port. I'm toying with saving a days holiday and working the thursday then getting the train down and catching a crossing at 7.30/8pm thursday.

Will the queues be really bad then? And if my other mates have arrived by then I presume I will be able to squeeze a 2 man tent in somewhere?

This might all turn out to be irrelevant if my mate who's driving goes, but just looking at all possibilities!

I got there fairly late on Thursday last year, arrived in Southampton around 3, wasn't on a ferry until 5.30, got to the festival around 7.30. Found space for a tent OK, and if your other mates have arrived you can ask them to keep a small area spare.

Got on site about 9pm last year on thursday after getting on the ferry about 7. Still some traffic around which we waited in for nearly an hour but walked straight in at the gate.

Finding a camping spot was hard work in the dark and setting up the tent was a nightmare. ended up at the back of the campsites near Arcadia, where there was still enough space for a few more, this was completely full by midday on friday though.

Would not leave it that late again if I could help it.

Arrived around 9/10pm in 2010: I was able to get straight on the ferry at Portsmouth, no queue at Ryde for transfer bus, walked virtually straight in to camp site with minimum searches at security & found there was still room in the campsite.

Arrived mid-day in 2011 as I was too excited & didn't want to wait. About 45 min queue for ferry at Ryde, packed ferry, not much of a wait at Ryde for bus transfer admittedly, about an hour waiting to get through security & a more thorough check of my back than previous & found less space available to camp.

Toying with the idea of leaving on Wednesday if its just me & the missus going.

Has anyone gone to the festival on the Thursday evening?

Basically I'm going with three mates, two who live in London, and another mate who lives near me in Oxford, however he isn't sure if he's going to go now, and I don't have a car so will have to get the train to the ferry port. I'm toying with saving a days holiday and working the thursday then getting the train down and catching a crossing at 7.30/8pm thursday.

Will the queues be really bad then? And if my other mates have arrived by then I presume I will be able to squeeze a 2 man tent in somewhere?

This might all turn out to be irrelevant if my mate who's driving goes, but just looking at all possibilities!