Travelling to Bestival 2012

Guest Paul ™

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going with them from Liverpool. Only thing is one of my friends forgot to book hers and it's sold out now so just waiting to hear back if they got any more ferry slots.

I wish they'd give details of times and stuff a bit further in advance though

Yeah I am annoyed about the time as travelling from Scotland. Loks like we are going to have to head down the evening before the bus is due to leave. I emailed them and they said travel times won't be out until one month before the festival.

Edited by Paul ™

I'm also coming from Liverpool too and did find it to be a complete ball-ache!

However I have managed to sort it out relatively cheaply and thought it might be worth letting your friend know if she is still going too:

Train - Lime St -> London Euston - £11 return (megabus/virgin)

London Euston -> Victoria - £4.00 return (oyster card/tube)

Victoria -> Victoria coach station - Free (10 minute walk)

Victoria coach station -> Ryde (IOW) - £30.30 return (National Express- inc. Hovertravel cost)

Ryde (IOW) -> Bestival - £10.00 return (Green Coach Shuttlebus)

Total: £55.30 return

Whatever travel option you choose, Bestival is a pain in the ass to get to from Liverpool so you might as well try and save some valuable drinking money by getting there as frugally as possible.

Hope this helps! :curtsey:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience of sailing to Bestival? A group of us are sailing from Southampton and planning to moor at Wootton Creek. Just wondering the best way to get from there to the site (its about 5 miles according to Google maps.) Last year we got the car ferry and drove, but I remember it taking around 2 hours to get from the ferry port to the festival itself, because of traffic (hence a taxi from Wootton Creek to the festival would cost a fortune). Is there a shuttle bus that we could get on?

Does anyone have any experience of sailing to Bestival? A group of us are sailing from Southampton and planning to moor at Wootton Creek. Just wondering the best way to get from there to the site (its about 5 miles according to Google maps.) Last year we got the car ferry and drove, but I remember it taking around 2 hours to get from the ferry port to the festival itself, because of traffic (hence a taxi from Wootton Creek to the festival would cost a fortune). Is there a shuttle bus that we could get on?

Got ferry tickets last night. Nearly £100, what u get for booking so late i guess, and that was with 15% off.

Question re coming back.. Were on the 11.45pm sunday ferry... with Stevie finishing his set @ 10.45, have we enough time to make it to carpark, get car and make the ferry?

AA route planner is showing it as 18mins from site for east cowes. With having all our gear packed in ready to go, i think we may just make it..

The missus has to work Monday, which she isn't happy about at all, nor the fact that i don't ... and will by all means, be cracking reeeeeet on :nyam:

Our price is for car and 3 people aswel, arriving friday morning mind, but still......

Edited by oebs

AA route planner is showing it as 18mins from site for east cowes. With having all our gear packed in ready to go, i think we may just make it..

The missus has to work Monday, which she isn't happy about at all, nor the fact that i don't ... and will by all means, be cracking reeeeeet on :nyam:

Our price is for car and 3 people aswel, arriving friday morning mind, but still......

Allow longer. If you're got all your kit in the car already, make sure you're at the back by 10.30, and leave at 10.45 on the dot.

There will be a fair number of people wanting to get away early on the last night. Took me 30 minutes to get about 3/4 of the way to East Cowes last year and we left before Bjork's encore. With a ferry you don't want to risk it.

We've got ferry tickets on red funnel leaving as foot passengers for southampton at half nine on the monday but i'm wondering about having to go earlier to avoid crowds - anyone know what it's been like in previous years?

Here is a brief run down of my escape form the island last year:

Got up to horizontal rain packed up tent and gear wetter than a haddock's jockstrap.

In queue for taxi: very very long queue.

In taxi.

At Ryde in queue for ferry.

On ferry.

Portsmouth Harbour on train.

I was shocked by this as in 2009 it went something like this:

Got up to another beautiful sunny day packed up tent and gear sweatier than a haddock's jockstrap.

In queue for taxi: very short queue 3 people in front of me.

In taxi.

At Ryde walk straight onto ferry.

In car driving home.