Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Paul ™

Travelling to Bestival 2012

218 posts in this topic

Yeah if you want to leave the island early, get up and be ready to leave about 7-8am at the latest.

How many people will be attending on the thursday roughly? and How long will i have to que in southampton until i get on the ferry?

Think last year there was 40,000 on site by the Thursday night.. it's a busy day.

Not sure on the ferry queue as I always go over on the Wednesday.

I got to the ferry at 9am and was queueing for half an hour. I can imagine it's horrendous later.

How many people will be attending on the thursday roughly? and How long will i have to que in southampton until i get on the ferry?

In short, Bestival is a fucking pain in the arse to get to & from, but is well worth every ounce of that pain.

I left my house in Essex at 15.30 the Thursday was on the 16:30 London Waterloo which pulled into Portsmouth Harbour at 18:09 then the 18.15 to Ryde which arrived at 18.30. Then a local "cab" dropped me to the site in 20 minutes, 15 -20 minute queue to get in my tent must have been up by 20.00.

Similar story in 2009 although I went Friday morning so that was really easy.

In short, Bestival is a fucking pain in the arse to get to & from, but is well worth every ounce of that pain.

See I don't see it as being a pain, yeah it's a long distance away from here (just outside Glasgow) but I've had a hassle free journey there every time flying down.

Ok, so through my own fault I have had a bit hassle coming home but that's down to me being lazy and not getting up and off the island quick enough.

Solved that this year though, not leaving the island till the Tuesday!

Coming from Scotland. We are now getting bus from Manchester to Bestival 60 or 70 pound return.

Bestival isn't actually that difficult to get to because there are so many different options available to you to make it as easy as possible to get over there. What's difficult is working out what's the cheapest for you and what's the best option depending on circumstances. It's not a logistical nightmare in terms of travel but it is when it comes to money, and everybody on the island exploits it and occasionally it feels unfair.

In all honesty, the only reason I don't go to Pinkpop or Rock Werchter is because of the language barrier. If that barrier didn't exist, it'd be cheaper to get to the mainland of Europe than somewhere in our own country. It's pathetic really; especially in this day and age.

I've not been to either, but I'd be very surprised if language would be an issue, especially at Pinkpop: Dutch people generally speak perfect English.

My ferry tickets are booked for £50 using a surplus of Tesco clubcard vouchers. Need to book accomodation now for Wednesday and that'll be me sorted. Worse comes to worse like it did last year with the weather, I'll get a room on Monday on the day.

In all honesty, the only reason I don't go to Pinkpop or Rock Werchter is because of the language barrier. If that barrier didn't exist, it'd be cheaper to get to the mainland of Europe than somewhere in our own country. It's pathetic really; especially in this day and age.

Dave, how does this work? How do you go about using clubcard vouchers to buy ferry tickets? I do online surveys, which I can then exchange for Tesco or other store vouchers. I wonder if these could be used to buy my ferry ticket to Bestival? Hmmm...

Damn, I dont have any clubcard points. I have points from Valued Opinions, which I can turn into Tesco voucher cards in multiples of £10, but it sounds as if they won't be any use in this case. Balls.

Booked my flights just now from Glasgow - Southampton, cost £100 all in.

Flying down Wednesday morning, staying at Waverley Campsite overnight.

And then back to Waverley on the Monday afternoon, then fly back home Tuesday afternoon.

:)

Naomi and I shall be joining you at Waverley both before and after the festival. Probably get the train same as last year, direct train, nice and easy :)

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:D

Problem is that Alchemy isn't the week directly after Bestival this year, it's 2 weeks after! haha

can anyone give any info on the big green coach? Looking at that from Manchester...

Without even checking these forums I managed to book the exact same flights from Glasgow as you lot...went for the cheapest yes? lol

I was gonna get a cheap hotel for the night before and night after but will just crash the party at the campsite if you lot don't mind? :)

can anyone give any info on the big green coach? Looking at that from Manchester...

Repeat post

Read the entire thread but still not certain - only coming from west london. I'm volunteering for oxfam so going down on the wednesday but back on monday... so my main aim is to avoid ferry chaos that day. Would be nice to take car at least part of the way so i can take more luggage/beer. Happy to leave early on monday but doubt i'll be able to drive first thing. So thinking about leaving the car near a ferry terminal to try and get the best of both worlds...

A couple of people have spoken about parking near ferry terminals - anyone else done this?