Travelling to Bestival 2012

Guest Paul ™

Without even checking these forums I managed to book the exact same flights from Glasgow as you lot...went for the cheapest yes? lol

I was gonna get a cheap hotel for the night before and night after but will just crash the party at the campsite if you lot don't mind? :)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without even checking these forums I managed to book the exact same flights from Glasgow as you lot...went for the cheapest yes? lol

I was gonna get a cheap hotel for the night before and night after but will just crash the party at the campsite if you lot don't mind? :)

Looks like I will have a couple of days off before the fest so am tempted to beat the crowds & stay a night on the island as I will be travelling along but meeting groups of people there. Is there a link to the campsite people have been mentioning?

Yeah last year we all camped in Blue (the Sunday Best Forum camp plus the few eFesters that were there) and will probably do the same this year depending if the layout doesn't change too much.

Good thing is the Forum Camping is marked on the map.. :)

Yeah last year we all camped in Blue (the Sunday Best Forum camp plus the few eFesters that were there) and will probably do the same this year depending if the layout doesn't change too much.

Good thing is the Forum Camping is marked on the map.. :)

I'd been checking the ferry prices with an aye on buying at the end of March. Someone mentioned a spike in prices from about April onwards. When I checked on Monday the prices had jumped by £20 for the return leg. Suggest people keep an eye on it from now.

So, assuming it can take a fairly long time to get out of the festival, as it can other festivals, does this cause a problem with booking your ferry time? Ie: If you book a 11am one, and it takes four hours to get out and you miss it, is your ticket then void or can you simply get on a later one. Similarly, If you fly out of the car park with no trouble and get there at 8am, do you then have to wait for the 11am you've booked on? All this travel stuff is the only thing preventing me from taking the plunge and submitting to the payment plan at the moment one. Starting to look pretty expensive and tricky to organise.

So, assuming it can take a fairly long time to get out of the festival, as it can other festivals, does this cause a problem with booking your ferry time? Ie: If you book a 11am one, and it takes four hours to get out and you miss it, is your ticket then void or can you simply get on a later one. Similarly, If you fly out of the car park with no trouble and get there at 8am, do you then have to wait for the 11am you've booked on? All this travel stuff is the only thing preventing me from taking the plunge and submitting to the payment plan at the moment one. Starting to look pretty expensive and tricky to organise.

What a ball ache! How can you accurately predict how long it's going to take to get out of a festival.

I'm coming from Bristol, probably with at least two others, and have started looking at the various travel options this afternoon.

In short, it doesn't look as if it's going to be cheap:

Green Bus is £74 each!! That's scandalous.

Ferry works out at about 85 each way, if we take the car, so still around £60 each between three of us.

I think the train was something like £74 each.

It's only about 100 miles from Bristol, too. Is this essentially what it's going to cost, or is there a cheaper way from Bristol that anyone's come across?

That's not true about having to get the exact ferry with a car, because (at Fishbourne anyway) the ferries run so behind schedule on the Monday (like, hours and hours behind) that they end up just putting you on the next one they can squeeze you onto. IIRC, I had a ticket for the 2:30pm crossing and finally drove onto the 4:30pm ferry at 7:30pm.

Big potential for Lymington...hell when I looked on National Rail with 16-25 railcard it worked out at 23 quid a person (Was the end of may though as it only goes so far in advance:P) for train and ferry to Yarmouth! ...only thing is advance tickets meaning a need to book a fairly late train on the monday...

How bad is if for foot passengers leaving the Island?