Travelling to Bestival 2012

Guest Paul ™

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left my house in Essex at 15.30 the Thursday was on the 16:30 London Waterloo which pulled into Portsmouth Harbour at 18:09 then the 18.15 to Ryde which arrived at 18.30. Then a local "cab" dropped me to the site in 20 minutes, 15 -20 minute queue to get in my tent must have been up by 20.00.

Similar story in 2009 although I went Friday morning so that was really easy.

See I don't see it as being a pain, yeah it's a long distance away from here (just outside Glasgow) but I've had a hassle free journey there every time flying down.

Ok, so through my own fault I have had a bit hassle coming home but that's down to me being lazy and not getting up and off the island quick enough.

Solved that this year though, not leaving the island till the Tuesday!

Bestival isn't actually that difficult to get to because there are so many different options available to you to make it as easy as possible to get over there. What's difficult is working out what's the cheapest for you and what's the best option depending on circumstances. It's not a logistical nightmare in terms of travel but it is when it comes to money, and everybody on the island exploits it and occasionally it feels unfair.

In all honesty, the only reason I don't go to Pinkpop or Rock Werchter is because of the language barrier. If that barrier didn't exist, it'd be cheaper to get to the mainland of Europe than somewhere in our own country. It's pathetic really; especially in this day and age.

In all honesty, the only reason I don't go to Pinkpop or Rock Werchter is because of the language barrier. If that barrier didn't exist, it'd be cheaper to get to the mainland of Europe than somewhere in our own country. It's pathetic really; especially in this day and age.

Booked my flights just now from Glasgow - Southampton, cost £100 all in.

Flying down Wednesday morning, staying at Waverley Campsite overnight.

And then back to Waverley on the Monday afternoon, then fly back home Tuesday afternoon.

:)

Without even checking these forums I managed to book the exact same flights from Glasgow as you lot...went for the cheapest yes? lol

I was gonna get a cheap hotel for the night before and night after but will just crash the party at the campsite if you lot don't mind? :)

Read the entire thread but still not certain - only coming from west london. I'm volunteering for oxfam so going down on the wednesday but back on monday... so my main aim is to avoid ferry chaos that day. Would be nice to take car at least part of the way so i can take more luggage/beer. Happy to leave early on monday but doubt i'll be able to drive first thing. So thinking about leaving the car near a ferry terminal to try and get the best of both worlds...

A couple of people have spoken about parking near ferry terminals - anyone else done this?