Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Starting to think that sonisphere may end up being cancelled this year.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
152 replies to this topic

#61 Couchy

Couchy

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

My last comment of the day and a comment that will raise a few eyebrows, i for one cant wait to read how Adam Lambert was bottled by a disgruntled Soni crowd....i think i will laugh a tad.

I don't think the Soni crowd would do that though, not the sort of people from my one experience... surely they'd just go to Download instead or get day tickets.

#62 kipper64

kipper64

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

My last comment of the day and a comment that will raise a few eyebrows, i for one cant wait to read how Adam Lambert was bottled by a disgruntled Soni crowd....i think i will laugh a tad.

Sorry but disappointment at this booking is the understatement.

How the hell will they book anyone in 2013, any respectable rock n roll band wont touch Sonisphere with a blinkin barge pole

Wrong. How the hell can anyone think that booking Queen will turn bands off the festival? Most of them want to play it because it takes place in the last place Queen played. Remember Metallica in 2009 and their spiel about Queen before covering Stone Cold Crazy?

American Idol =/= X factor, it has a much bigger rock influence over there. Testament to the fact it's had Tenacious D, Queen, Kiss (who Adam Lambert sang with), Zakk Wylde, Slash etc... on the show so it's not going to cause them to struggle in booking bands just because Adam Lambert played with Queen there too.

I think some people's reaction to this is pretty sad. Generally the rock/metal/alternative crowd try and pass themselves off as non-judgemental and accepting, but clearly that's just not the case, any sign of anything slightly off the course, people throw their toys out the pram (Chase and Status at Download received a lot of the same nonsense). No band deserves to get bottled just for playing a festival and anyone who thinks it's acceptable is a moron

I can understand that some people don't like Queen, or aren't interested in seeing Queen without Freddie, fair enough, but at the end of the day, to some extent, it's still queen, it's still a massive booking, and it'll make a lot of people happy, if you don't like it, don't go. Pretty simple, all this whinging about Xfactor nonsense is just silly imo

#63 t8yman

t8yman

Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Generally the rock/metal/alternative crowd try and pass themselves off as non-judgemental and accepting,

a popular misconception, ive never felt that way, and dont know any "metalheads" that are tbh.

and why should we be?

give me a call next time slayer headline creamfields and i'll listen to the "you should be more accepting of other music" lecture

#64 kipper64

kipper64

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

My point was aimed at who I was quoting. Not you. It wasn't about being accepting it was about being mature enough to know bottling bands is just sad.

But your point is a bit moot considering Queen are a rock band and massively more popular than Slayer who are not a dance act in any sense. Not until they decide to do a collab with Skrillex anyways ;)

#65 t8yman

t8yman

Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:44 AM

My point was aimed at who I was quoting. Not you. It wasn't about being accepting it was about being mature enough to know bottling bands is just sad.

But your point is a bit moot considering Queen are a rock band and massively more popular than Slayer who are not a dance act in any sense. Not until they decide to do a collab with Skrillex anyways ;)

I agree with you about the bottling.

And I'm a bit bored of going round in circles on the queen issue (not with you kip) if queen qualify as a soni band because they are rock - then surely U2, Coldplay and Radiohead do too?

Imagine the shitstorm if any of those headlined soni?

I just want an announcement, and soon. I've already bought my download ticket, but the way this is going, our festie group are now split, many of my mates are misguidedly holding on for some holy grail announcement from soni on the strength of how good last years bill was. And ive already told them - if the vip bar tickets sell out for download before they decide to NOT do soni, they have shit out.

I know what they all like, and going on the strong rumours and using the old process of elimination on who could play - they aint gonna like the lineup at soni this year. But until they see a poster, they wont take my word for it. They didnt even believe me when I said Queen and FNM

Edited by t8yman, 06 February 2012 - 06:46 AM.

#66 Marker

Marker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Queen look set to headline Sonisphere but I not heard anything from Faith No More. The only thing I have heard is that they got leaked to play Sonisphere France which is the same weekend as Knebworth (unless they changed dates) and on here there to be confirmed.

#67 jump

jump

"That's what I said"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Queen look set to headline Sonisphere but I not heard anything from Faith No More. The only thing I have heard is that they got leaked to play Sonisphere France which is the same weekend as Knebworth (unless they changed dates) and on here there to be confirmed.

Both Queen with Adam Lambert/X Factor Boy & Faith No More was leaked last week by a newspaper.

#68 Marker

Marker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the information.

#69 luckysalt

luckysalt

AVFC Proud History, Bright Future

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,763 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

I agree with you about the bottling.

And I'm a bit bored of going round in circles on the queen issue (not with you kip) if queen qualify as a soni band because they are rock - then surely U2, Coldplay and Radiohead do too?

Imagine the shitstorm if any of those headlined soni?

I just want an announcement, and soon. I've already bought my download ticket, but the way this is going, our festie group are now split, many of my mates are misguidedly holding on for some holy grail announcement from soni on the strength of how good last years bill was. And ive already told them - if the vip bar tickets sell out for download before they decide to NOT do soni, they have shit out.

I know what they all like, and going on the strong rumours and using the old process of elimination on who could play - they aint gonna like the lineup at soni this year. But until they see a poster, they wont take my word for it. They didnt even believe me when I said Queen and FNM

Hate being in situations like that, been there done that, some people just won't listen

#70 hitmanhague

hitmanhague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

give me a call next time slayer headline creamfields and i'll listen to the "you should be more accepting of other music" lecture

Brilliant, I'm going to be using this in future - hope you don't mind!

#71 t8yman

t8yman

Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hate being in situations like that, been there done that, some people just won't listen

To add insult to injury, talking to one of my mates before the mastodon gig last night, he said "I think queens is a great booking, I'm looking forward to soni"

I responded with a massive facepalm. "not queens you fucking muppet-queen!"

#72 dan666

dan666

Old School

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

I saw Mastodon in Bristol the other night. Phenomenal.

#73 the_mars_volta

the_mars_volta

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

To add insult to injury, talking to one of my mates before the mastodon gig last night, he said "I think queens is a great booking, I'm looking forward to soni"

I responded with a massive facepalm. "not queens you fucking muppet-queen!"

As in QOTSA?! Oh dear! Although I guess there a chance they will be there as well.

#74 t8yman

t8yman

Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

I saw Mastodon in Bristol the other night. Phenomenal.

they blew me away last night. 23 or so tracks of unrelenting massiveness.

#75 Justiceforcedave

Justiceforcedave

Bovine Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

they blew me away last night. 23 or so tracks of unrelenting massiveness.

Were Redfang any good supporting?

#76 moz4pm

moz4pm

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

hell yes it was an amazing gig, dillinger were great as well

#77 5co77ie

5co77ie

eFestivals' editor

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

I don't think the Soni crowd would do that though, not the sort of people from my one experience... surely they'd just go to Download instead or get day tickets.

Not the sort of people from my two experiences either - judging by the amount of security imbedded in the crowd (as opposed to out in the open areas where you need to find someone if someone collapses) I think anyone throwin a bottle could well get thrown out - I hope so.

#78 hitmanhague

hitmanhague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

I'm taking the fiancee to see Mastodon/Dillinger on Saturday as part of our music exchange thing we've got going. Unfortunately it means I have to watch Noel Gallagher but I think it's worth it.

#79 gary1979666

gary1979666

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

bump! but hopefully not!

#80 Mamba311

Mamba311

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thrash Hits are running the story that cancellation is looking likely, and they're not usually wrong...

http://www.thrashhit...o-be-cancelled/