ROCKNESS 2012 LINEUP

Guest Rockness2012

Happy with headliners - Deadmau5 with his "cube" think will be some show, (stage at T didna do it justice last year). Biffy is a big act to get and are always energetic so watch think they'll play sunday to close fest tho. Mumford is a big pull to a lot of people, big fan base! I would have prefered Moby as 1 of headliners but hey ho am happy with what we have gotten.

Justice And Beardyman = happy chappy

Lookin for a radio soulwax tent n BN'R tent

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks pretty good to me, but then again I've never been to Rockness and know little about it. You wouldn't get me anywhere near that line-up but I've got the impression that Rockness is for a youngish, relaxed and dance-oriented crowd and given that the festival also has to comepte with the behemoth that is T it looks like they've done a pretty good job of balancing their own style with having to sell tickets to survive.

Five years ago Rockness had old acts long past their peak. This year they have current acts.

They might not be to your liking, but there's only so long that festivals can keep repeating those older acts before they'd lose their financial viability. The future of music is always newer acts.

Rockness is a fantastic festival and there really is something for everyone.

Can't believe people complaining about the announcement. It's only a tiny part of the fest with so many acts still to be announced including the third Second Stage headliner and loads of other arenas. As it goes although not to my tastes i'd have Biffy and Momford over Paulo and Kasabian every day of the week.

So far I'll have two headliners to go see and even if the other Second Stage headliner's pish I'll still easily find someone to watch.

When it comes down to it Rockness is a business like any other and although the bigger acts are less to my taste than in previous years I realise this is the only way the festival can stay viable and i'd much prefer a more popular line up that doesn't perfectly suit me than having no Rockness at all.

I'm a bit disappointed considering we have The Cure, New Order and Radiohead all playing festivals this summer.

I know either of these would be extremely expensive, but would've been a massive coup for Rockness. Thought they might push the boat out a bit.

Biffy, Mumford & Sons and Deadmau5? Absolutely terrible. Thankfully the tents is what keeps Rockness going.

Edited by pipper

This line-up is absolutely dire. Needless to say I will not be making the trip this year. And I thought last year was bad, this is 10 times worse. To think five years ago the headliners were Daft Punk and Chemical Brothers... Now we have Mumford & Sons, Biffy Clyro and Deadmau5 headlining? It really is laughable.

I'm happy with the announcement! Sick of all the moaning already, but it won't effect my weekend :) hoping that justice sub deadmau5 as it would be insane. But I would imagine they will end up clashing with biffy/mumford! Dj fresh at some point Friday would be mad and awesome act to help kick off the weekend! Etienne de crecy will also be one of my must see acts. Also...CHIC? Good shout Jim! Will be hilarious when they play!

Looking forward to see who else they have lined up for us :D

Stop your complaining...maybe we should make a thread for complaining bastards?

I have seen Biffy on 6 occasions......every time a treat. The enegy they convey for a three piece is immense. Cannot wait! Not too hot on Mumford but I'd rather have them than mostly anything else current. Im going to Benicassim this year too and the line up so far is pre-historic to say the least....Mumford are big with the younger lot, Good addition in my book

As for the argument about Rockness booking acts past their peak previously, so what? Bestival had The Cure last year!? Other festivals have New Order this year. Who gives a fuck if they are past their peak or not? If Mumford and Sons are still on the go in 20 years time, I'll be astonished.

I wasn't trying to say that old acts are always wrong, more that new acts have a justified place on any line-up.

The simple fact is that festivals need to sell tickets, and they'll succeed in selling more tickets year-on-year by having the acts of current appeal than they will by forever re-cycling old-hat acts.

And the simple fact is that however much you personally might hate Mumfords, they're a far bigger draw than The Cure are.

Ok ok, the Headliners have been bigger years gone by, but look to the heart of the festival itself! the headliners are 1-2 hours of music. A tiny part of whats on offer!

I think the lineup is good so far, and will only get better! Plus Etienne De Crecy does a better live set than Deadmau5! get it round ya, ya rat!

Best first announcement I've seen for a while from RockNess.

Biffy Clyro and Deadmau5 are headliners that I'm almost definitely going to see.

Justice, Etienne De Crecy, Gesaffelstein, Riton, Busy P, Metronomy, Beardyman, Polymath are all acts that will be great to see too!

No idea what people were expecting, but why would the organisers want to spunk all the money on massive headline acts, only for the sub-card to be pish? I am delighted that there are no Snow Patrols or Coldplays to suck all the cash up. Id rather have a full day of good acts than sit in my tent all day waiting on 2 or 3 'big' acts. Roll on June.

Cracking 1st announcement. Got something for everybody. Massive Scottish band in Biffy. Electro giants Justice and Deadmau5. Mumford are class. Ed Sheeran got to be one of the most sought after acts for most festivals after the year he's had. Wretch 32, Dj Fresh, Beardyman, Etienne de Crecy etc etc. Covers all the bases plus many more acts to be announced! Hopefully still have the afterburner and that back aswell. Its looking good

If you think the complaining on here is bad, you would have a great laugh at the official facebook...

It's easy to say Rockness should have got a New Order/Cure/bigname (I would have quite liked New Order myself, felt they would have been a right fit for it) but can understand they have to get acts that will sell quickly (your Biffys, Sheerans, Mumfords etc) to keep the event going successfully. The whole idea that its losing its 'dance' edge is a bit funny too, your Chemical Bros/Fat Boy Slims/Daft Punks cant play every year as it would just get repetitive, if anything they have done well to get two of the most relevant names in that field in Deadmau5/Justice along with the first announcement containing lots of electronic acts. Theres only so much they can push those type of names at the top without becoming the same every year, so if it means giving up and coming acts headline oportunities with a strong undercard then I can live with that.

Ideally there would be more leftfield/alternative acts like your Bestivals/Connects/Latitudes but it might just be the case theres not a market for that kind of thing up here. Looking forward to the next few announcements, still half expecting a few biggish name, Chase and Status, The Vacinnes etc

i'm really happy with this announcement. i'm not really a fan of biffy clyro or mumford and sons but i don't think there's any doubt that they are big enough headliners.

people seem to expect too much from festival line ups. you can't always have massive acts headlining each night. the organisers can only pick from the bands that are currently available and within their price range.

i think it's always a good idea for festivals to take a chance on an act who are just on the verge of becoming massive and booking them as headliners before any of the other big festivals.

this is a really strong first announcement, i can't wait to see the full line up.

really excited that justice are playing :D

To be fair, if this announcement takes away some of the fanny's that were attracted by Kasabian last year I'll be grateful.

The facebook complaints are ridiculous. People compare it to TITP far too much these days, it's a different festival all together and always will be. Brilliant announcement which gives a bit of something for everyone, what else can you ask for?

Seen Mumford & Sons at Benni last year and they were an incredibly boring headline act. Disapointing since I like their album.

Really hope Justice aren't on at the same time as Biffy (I can't see the festival sticking them up against Deadmau5). My reaction to last years headliners was intense hatred so this is certianly an improvement for me, hope they keep it up for the undercard!

In an ideal world the festival would go for more leftfield acts like it did in 09 but sadly for a festival up here thats just not sustainable as has been seen with Connect and Indian Summer. I'm sure the organisers would love for it to be a huge alternative to TITP but they just won't shift enough tickets doing that so have to find a middle ground. Booking acts that appeal to people in their late twenties upwards just won't work as there are less of them who will go than there are teens/early twenties and you'd be catering for a crowd who may only keep going to fests for a few more years rather that aiming for the younger market who don't have as many money worries and who'll be coming back for years to come. Even the bigger fests like Reading realise this and have aimed at a younger market.

All in all I think when the whole line up is announced there will be something for most people and I'm positive there'll be more than enough to justify my hundred quid.