The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I hadn't realised that Sturgeon was now running the UK and not just Scotland. :lol:

Around 1% of the UK revenues (traditionally) comes from oil extraction revenues, so a price fall more than balances the lost oil revenues.

Around 10% of Scotland's revenues (traditionally) comes from oil extraction revenues, so a price fall destroys Scottish govt revenues (if self-financing, of course).

And of course the indyref was at a time when Salmond could point at oil revenues (for just one year :lol:) of nearly 20% - so the White Paper had oil revenues financing 16% of Scottish govt spending. :lol::lol:

Still, it's all irrelevant to Scottish indy. LJS told us so. :lol:

No I didn't & you repeating the lie does not change that.

11 minutes ago, LJS said:

No I didn't & you repeating the lie does not change that.

You didn't say the loss of oil revenue was irrelevant, that Scotland couldn't self-fun was irrelevant, and that all the lies from the SNP around the indyref were irrelevant?

In which case you must be saying it all very relevant, and the case for indy is a crock of shit.

4 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

I agree with a lot of this Stash but think Neil`s right that our best years in the North sea are behind us. We never know what lies ahead of course and with investment continuing then some of these jobs lost could return in the future and for sure the oil price will go up at some point. The revenues generated over the decades don`t appear to have been invested well when you look at the current state of play in the UK but unfortunately we are where we are. I was hoping investment in renewables would be increased as there are many reason why we should be looking beyond the oil but unfortunately our Tory leaders don`t appear to see that as a priority.

Nuclear weapons is a different matter of course. Scotland voted to remain with the broad shoulders of the UK so what can you do. Maybe next time :) 

Do you realise that Stash was being sarcastic?

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The financial case for independence is completely and utterly discredited.

which ends up meaning that all cases for indy are discredited, unless Scottish indy is about fucking over the poor to a massive extent, paying much higher taxes, and having much worse public services.

Cos all that's left is wrapping yourself in the flag and shouting 'freeedoooom' ... while simultaneously punching yourself in the face.

I'm quite happy to acknowledge there can be more benefit to indy than merely finances, but everything is still dependent on the finances.. With the finances as bad as they are nothing of the benefits of indy as outlined in the White Paper is there to be had, because you cannot have the ends you want without the means to do so.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Well you support Scottish independence which clearly means you have some problem with making good judgement calls :P

Him & well over a million others.

Let's leave the insults to Neil & Russy.

7 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Are you suggesting that a number of people supporting something is an indication it's not stupid?

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.” 
 George Carlin

“Sometimes a man wants to be stupid if it lets him do a thing his cleverness forbids.” 
 John Steinbeck

Edited by Stash

11 hours ago, LJS said:

Him & well over a million others.

Let's leave the insults to Neil & Russy.

numbers proves nothing. :rolleyes:

Godwin alert ... but ... millions voted for other nationalists once, called the Nazis.

Nats were informed that basing the economy on oil extraction tax was foolish and unsustainable, while people such as you brushed it off as unionist/tory/English lies.

And today, who has been proven accurate and who has been proven foolish and wrong?

If the truth is now an insult to Scots, Scotland is in worse shit than any unionist/tory/English has ever claimed.

But hey, what we have here is yet another claim of irreverence - and much more - from you, just a post or two after you claimed you don't brush off the irrefutable facts as irrelevant. :lol:

Edited by eFestivals

14 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Are you suggesting that a number of people supporting something is an indication it's not stupid?

6 hours ago, Stash said:

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.” 
 George Carlin

“Sometimes a man wants to be stupid if it lets him do a thing his cleverness forbids.” 
 John Steinbeck

I would never claim to be as clever as you guys. How could I  :)

You are heading down the same path taken by Johann Lamont who was, at the time, Labour Leader up here.

We know how that turned out.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13152265.Are_Scots_genetically_incapable_of_making_political_decisions_/

On 14/01/2016 at 10:14 AM, russycarps said:

"Renewables" saving the economy is the new mantra.

On 02/12/2015 at 10:32 AM, comfortablynumb1910 said:

I will remind you that no-one has ever ever said that Scotland could get rich on renewables. I have said that a Scottish Govt whether Labour or SNP led would take us down a different path than the Tories in many areas. 

I see renewables as one such " path ". Nothing more, nothing less. It`s not all about the money for some of us ;)

I am almost certain that you are on the troll here Russ ( I`m normally certain ) so I will give you the benefit of the doubt and remind you that you and I have been over this ground already. It was only last month and you are the only person who has made the above renewables new mantra claim on here.

You can`t claim it, wait a month and then repeat it in the pretence that a nasty sniper said it. Well you can but when you do it so often it doesn`t work so well :) 

21 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

I would never claim to be as clever as you guys. How could I  :)

Unfortunately for you, the definition of what's clever is based around the ideas of being right or being wrong.

How are the white paper claims you supported standing up, comfy?

Are you going to say "but I didn't support the white paper, I supported indy" as a way of avoidance? Unfortunately you can't do that. You spent 6 months or more refuting what was said about its many now-proven flaws.

The winners here is everyone in Scotland that didn't wish to be poorer. Go against that by thinking yourself clever if you wish. :)

11 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I don't think Scots are any stupider than most people in the country. I just don't think they're any smarter. I also don't think the SNP are any less crap than most other political parties.

Nicely put. :)

Did anyone see that Guardian article the other day, about the percentage of landlords in any party's MPs?

The tory MPs are 39% landlords, while the red-tories of the Labour Party with their noses in the trough are 22%.

And the morally superior SNP are 26% landlords - and they haven't had years of MPs pay to get rich by yet, either.

Fancy that. :)

Edited by eFestivals

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Did anyone see that Guardian article the other day, about the percentage of landlords in any party's MPs?

The tory MPs are 39% landlords, while the red-tories of the Labour Party with their noses in the trough are 22%.

And the morally superior SNP are 26% landlords - and they haven't had years of MPs pay to get rich by yet, either.

I saw bits in the reporting of the Housing bill the other day. No SNP interest of course.

Not sure why YOU are claiming the SNP as morally superior but I suppose you have your own agenda to drive and it`s a step up from your Nazi comment earlier so that`s a good thing.

Anyway, here`s what I read. Interesting you brought up morals and MP`s.

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2016/jan/15/tory-landlord-mps-housing-bill-private-rented

15 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Can you be specific on what white paper claims I supported please.

I will remind you that I never claimed to be clever. Take a glance back over the last few posts and you will see who was saying what :)

You claimed the economic case stood up, when people were pointing out the many flaws including what an oil price crash would do.

2 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

I saw bits in the reporting of the Housing bill the other day. No SNP interest of course.

Not sure why YOU are claiming the SNP as morally superior but I suppose you have your own agenda to drive and it`s a step up from your Nazi comment earlier so that`s a good thing.

If Labour MPs are "red tories" who "have their noses in the trough" - something you've certainly said of Jim Murphy and chums - and the SNP are not getting the same criticisms when their actions are much the same, then you're the one already labelling the SNP as morally superior.

I've merely used your own thinking back at you.

And the Nazi thing was a comparison to show big support doesn't get to mean right-minded support, and not a comparison of the SNP and the Nazis. But you knew that already. Or are particularly stupid. It's one or the other. :)

2 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Anyway, here`s what I read. Interesting you brought up morals and MP`s.

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2016/jan/15/tory-landlord-mps-housing-bill-private-rented

Yup, it's probably the very article I got the landlordism percentages from.

Tho of course, it doesn't necessarily follow that being a landlord makes that person morally corrupt in parliament. I've not checked it myself, but I've seen it said that nearly every tory landlord voted against the 'fit for habitation' clause, while the Labour landlord's supported it (it didn't mention other parties).

52 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

I will remind you that I never claimed to be clever. Take a glance back over the last few posts and you will see who was saying what :)

I know, instead you just chucked in some made-up bollocks that pretended someone saying about the bad judgement of you and LJS was really saying all Scots are stupid.

So you didn't claim to be clever, you just chose to present an untruth instead.

And you do that because you don't have any good arguments to make back. That's how weak the cause you support is.

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Nicely put. :)

Your point only begins to make any sense at all if you believe all landlords are bad & if you believe that, I am sure you will be concerned at close to a quarter of Labour mp's being bad.

Fortunately, in the real world , landlords (like the rest of us) come in all shapes & sizes and degrees of evil/saintliness.

There is a world of difference between someone letting out a house they have found hard to sell & someone owning a string of properties into which they cram as many people as they can for as much as they can screw out of them.

If loads of SNP mp's fit the latter description, they deserve your disapproval (&mine).

When you have that information to hand please let us know.

I hope you are not too upset that I haven't replied to your "recent" rants. I'm waiting for you to say something you haven't said 1000 times before. 

In other news, i see the latest survation poll has the Indy vote at 51/49 against Indy.

That's a tiny gap to make up in the course of a campaign.

Looks like another interesting year ahead.

6 hours ago, LJS said:

In other news, i see the latest survation poll has the Indy vote at 51/49 against Indy.

That's a tiny gap to make up in the course of a campaign.

Looks like another interesting year ahead.

So practically unchanged from every other survation poll for around a year then?

What is it you and Tweedledum always say when you refuse to discuss the actual requirements of seceding? There is no referendum question being asked right now, so how could you possibly talk about finances, institutions, debts etc

Why hold any stock in opinion polls when you refuse to even try and back your own opinion up?

Looks like another year of bluff, bluster and not much substance from the secessionists ahead

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LJS said:

Fortunately, in the real world , landlords (like the rest of us) come in all shapes & sizes and degrees of evil/saintliness.

Yep, they do.

As it happens, we only know the landlordism details of just one MP, who happens to be Scottish and a high ranking member of the SNP team.

Shall I go on, or would you rather I stopped....? :P