The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

You are I take it concerned about some sort of backlash if there is a No vote. I don't see it myself. Despite what some of you seem to believe there has been absolutely no anti-English sentiment in this campaign & we are sensible enough to distinguish between Westminster & English people.

Surely you are not as myopic as that John?

I am assuming you will all forgive me for not addressing issues of the value of oil/ currency etc etc today

Wouldn't want you to break the habit of a lifetime!

• Downvote 1

That was also my understanding mate.

Russy - I told the lads that you were on the bell tomorrow and I hear that after recovering from the shock ( of victory, not you buying a round ) a few of the boys are on the march to your local. I`m sure we will be made most welcome, as you would be up here.

bloody hooligans! rebuild the wall!

• Upvote 1

I don't think much will happen at 10 either as strangely there are no exit polls. I am sure there will be plenty of pundits Giving their opinions but unless someone has something tucked up their sleeves, we really won't know until the votes start to come in & even then it's not like a general election where you can say "well that's a 30% swing to the tories in Glasgow. There are no previous figure to swing from.

Of course if it ends up being a big victory, that will become apparent relatively early on but if it is close it could easily by 6, 7 or even later before we have much idea.

Well my vote is in.

Great buzz as we waited to vote. Only YES campaigners, flags etc to be seen. The YES " taxis " were buzzing in and out dropping people off to vote horns tooting etc. I should in fairness, say that my town will take care of business and I would not have expected BT to be paying for people to be standing about with NO leaflets wasting their resources tonight. Hopefully my toon will take up the slack of some of the more affluent areas of Ayrshire who will return a NO vote. I think that we will need a big YES margin in the likes of Dundee and especially Glasgow to balance out the likes of the Borders. Edinburgh being a narrow NO would also be required I reckon. Real lump in the throat stuff as I marked my tick cross and I`m so glad / proud that YES got us to this position.

#believe

Saw Nick on the BBC news with Salmond last night. I have already said that I always found Nick a pretty fair kinda guy and we all know where his heart lies. No such thing as bad publicity is probably how him and the BBC now view his recent " spat " with Salmond. Anyway, he was saying that as recently as 3 years ago the backroom chat at Westminster was of the Tories goading and winding Slamond up, daring him to ask for a referendum as the overall view was that Salmond would get slaughtered and this would have been put to bed. Nick seemed to be genuinely impressed with the way things have turned out. The way he paused for effect after saying this I think he may well be another of these secret - Yes ers :ninja:

When the dust settles will be interesting to get an idea of how the youngsters voted. The Auld Yins will vote NO in big numbers. This has always been my fear.

• Upvote 1

Bu Choir

I have a friend from your neck of the woods who is a secret Yes voter & I am only allowed to know as I am far away.

The western Isles are truly beautiful places ... apart from the damn midges (and Sundays)

From what my family have been telling me the majority on my island,South Uist,are yes voters but we are joined to 4 other islands by causeways with most of two of the others being staunch Unionists.

I'm sad to say that it sounds like the Protestant/Catholic divide with the votes as well.

Today has been really really weird because of the enforced lack of press coverage... It seemed to be such a colossal build up and then absolutely nothing, until 10pm that is...

True story. Driving home from work tonight I tuned in to BBCScotland on the tranny. I twice heard them say " we are sorry that we cannot provide a great deal of coverage of the referendum at the moment due to a legal requirement that we only report FACTS "

Oh the ironing !

. Without exit polls we will never know. But I can say my nephew who is 16 definitely did.

That`s true Liz but I expect they will be pouring over the data for weeks to come and we should get a fair idea I hope. Was it 8000 ? they got under the one roof for the bbc debate. However they voted, I think it has proved to be a good thing. I know that all the schools today ( including Primary schools ) were having mock elections and talking it through. A festival of democracy indeed !

True story. Driving home from work tonight I tuned in to BBCScotland on the tranny. I twice heard them say " we are sorry that we cannot provide a great deal of coverage of the referendum at the moment due to a legal requirement that we only report FACTS "

Oh the ironing !

yeah, i saw similar on their website

"In common with other broadcasters, the BBC is reporting only factual accounts of the election throughout polling day to avoid influencing the outcome. "

my emphasis

That`s true Liz but I expect they will be pouring over the data for weeks to come and we should get a fair idea I hope. Was it 8000 ? they got under the one roof for the bbc debate. However they voted, I think it has proved to be a good thing. I know that all the schools today ( including Primary schools ) were having mock elections and talking it through. A festival of democracy indeed !

yeah, my 17 year old daughter voted today - imagine your first vote & probably the most important one you will ever have. !!

My first vote was in the 1979 referendum. I honestly can't remember this level of engagement before. That is the real winner.

I'm in the class of '79 too, Lizzim. and you are spot on about the engagement although you have to remember the world was black & white then.

I just hope some of the interest and enthusiasm lasts & does not melt away to all too familiar cynicism & apathy.

Anyone who fancies a punt can get 4/1 on YES. Anyone who is very rich can get 1/6 Dundee vote YES. I ain`t cursing nothing but even at 1/6 your buying money.

Based on the last 3 polls the odds on Yes should be in the region of 2/1 so the bookies obviously want to hoover up the money of the yes folk. Sadly the old saying that you never meet a poor bookie is true.......he says tempting fate.

Meant to say earlier that for me the star of the campaign has been Patrick Harvie. From the other side I always thought that Douglas Alexander proved to be pretty sharp in the debates but cant help thinking he would suit a blue tie better. Anyone else have any favorites ?

Throughout the campaign I always stuck to my principle of switching off whenever Danny Alexander appeared. This plan has served me well for a number of years now.

My end of poll announcement on facebook kind of sums things up for me

The polls have closed. This campaign has been for me an exhilarating time. But the campaign is over. I have removed my twibbon. unpinned my yes badge. unpeeled the yes sticker from my window. And in the morning I will remove the thing that says "I voted yes" not because I believe with any less passion than I did 5 minutes ago that Scotland should be independent, but because I am now back to being someone who lives in Scotland. However the result goes, I believe we should work together for a better Scotland. Many honest folk in the no campaign have made it clear that they too want change. Let's forget the yes & no & let's unite and try & make our astonishing wee country a better place.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who fancies a punt can get 4/1 on YES. Anyone who is very rich can get 1/6 Dundee vote YES. I ain`t cursing nothing but even at 1/6 your buying money.

Based on the last 3 polls the odds on Yes should be in the region of 2/1 so the bookies obviously want to hoover up the money of the yes folk. Sadly the old saying that you never meet a poor bookie is true.......he says tempting fate.

Meant to say earlier that for me the star of the campaign has been Patrick Harvie. From the other side I always thought that Douglas Alexander proved to be pretty sharp in the debates but cant help thinking he would suit a blue tie better. Anyone else have any favorites ?

Throughout the campaign I always stuck to my principle of switching off whenever Danny Alexander appeared. This plan has served me well for a number of years now.

gordon brown's come out of the no with more credit than most of the chinless wonders

whatever the result, I hope the tories rip cameron apart and install gove as leader