Lock Up 2012

Guest jump

At Leeds I thought lock up had a much better attendence this year then it did last year, especially on the Less Than Jake day. Random Hand had a really impressive crowd for saying what time they were on. But if the festival does get rid of Lock Up then I can't really see myself going back which I a shame cos I've always liked R/L festivals lineup diversity compared to Download and Sonisphere

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Leeds I thought lock up had a much better attendence this year then it did last year, especially on the Less Than Jake day. Random Hand had a really impressive crowd for saying what time they were on. But if the festival does get rid of Lock Up then I can't really see myself going back which I a shame cos I've always liked R/L festivals lineup diversity compared to Download and Sonisphere

I was at Leeds last year, lockup attendance was embarrassing. Reading this year, back to full for most of the top bands. In my opinion it should be scaled back to one day, dance to get 2 days to reflect current popularity. Lockup could then focus on pure quality all day.

My lockup highlights were Lee Trash Talk crowdsurfing to the disabled platform and getting punters to stagedive off it, ETID just generally being badass and awesome...and finally at our festival, Wade and Gallows just nailing it, The Gimme Gimmes had the crowd eating out of their sweaty palms, gettin' high during the Skints, FT(back2)HC playing Nirvana and Streets covers rather well and LTJ saving the best til last.

Saves the Day on the Friday at Reading literally made my festival. Absolutely loved every second of it, was right at the front and they played pretty much all my favourite songs. Went out of there buzzing, bit emotional!!

If there was no Lock Up at Reading / Leeds I would not go anymore.

To my mind it is integral to the festival and Mike Davies does a superb job putting it all together.

Having been to both Reading and Leeds, I would agree that the attendance at Reading is far greater. I prefer Leeds because I can actually get in the tent.

I would prefer 3 days lock up and getting rid of the dance stage all together. There is more than enough dance type music in the Village at Leeds.

The lock-up is also one of the main reasons i go. there were bands who didnt get huge crowds but overall it was well attended.

at the end of the day,if it is pretty well attended it will stay.it depends how they measure it.i'm sure they dont need it to be so rammed that people cant get in there before it can be considered a sucess.

Anti-flag had the biggest crowd,maybe they should have headlined

No way would they get rid of the Lock Up stage. There's two dance festivals the same weekend anyway, so they can't possibly have three days of dance music.

I thought it was pretty full for Gallows, Mongol Horde, Me First and Less Than Jake (Reading). Touche Amore was pretty empty, which was a shame as I thought they were excellent.

Edited by Chinaski_

I imagine the lock-up tent wasn't full because the rest of the undercard wasn't suited to that crowd.

Colour me derranged but it appears to me that Reading Festival gets more and more indie and pop every year. I didn't go this year, because while the headliners weren't bad, the rest of undercard was not appealing at all.

In 2010 the lock-up was packed, and it tells a story about the bands that played that stage and the rest of the festival that year.

One thing for sure is that the lock-up or punk stage at Reading is an itegral part of the festival and if it disappears it'll be a very strong message that Reading is no longer a 'rock' festival.

Edited by Mariner

I imagine the lock-up tent wasn't full because the rest of the undercard wasn't suited to that crowd.

Colour me derranged but it appears to me that Reading Festival gets more and more indie and pop every year. I didn't go this year, because while the headliners weren't bad, the rest of undercard was not appealing at all.

In 2010 the lock-up was packed, and it tells a story about the bands that played that stage and the rest of the festival that year.

One thing for sure is that the lock-up or punk stage at Reading is an itegral part of the festival and if it disappears it'll be a very strong message that Reading is no longer a 'rock' festival.

• 2 weeks later...