Lock Up 2012

Guest jump

I disagree. When they split up they weren't that big, but over the 14 years they've gained ALOT of fans, and prettymuch 99% of those fans never got a chance to see them, so the demand will undoubtedly be high. They aren't massive for sure, definitely a "cult" band in a sense, but as I said as most of that cult following never got a chance to see them live they'll have a big draw.

They were definitely too high on the soni billing, but that was only because they got paid an arm and a leg for it to be their only UK show, where as now they'll probably be getting less, and will be further down the line up and probably won't be tied to DL as their only UK show, just festival.

Edited by kipper64

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But how much of that cult following would be at R&L, or would go to R&L just to see them? Maybe Soni/Download is a more natural home for them as it's where their fanbase is likely to be/go, and therefore where they'd get a bigger crowd.

Definitely, which is why they were mainstage at Sonisphere I guess. You wouldn't see Reading putting them that high up on a mainstage. They'd be lucky to get considered for high up NME. But anyways, I think now they'll do Download, a one off London date in July 8th (seeing as an inactive ticketweb link appeared on their tour dates but was removed), and possibly a secret set in the lock up at R/L's if they are about.

Which would have only been Reading and Leeds if it were a secret set. Seeing as Download managed to book them from Sonisphere Cancellation and it's on 'festival exclusive' terms.

In general they probably are on a level of someone like Thrice going by fans, but the reunion hype counts for a lot, and therefore (as you say) you get a bunch of people jumping on the bandwagon to an extent whether they were ever massive fans or not, and the real fans from all over the UK will want to travel and see them. Hence if it was their only UK show, and a comeback show, they probably could play somewhere like Brixton, but if it was a full UK tour, the venues would be smaller.

There are two possibilities - the two festivals were Soni and R&L, but after Soni being cancelled Download have booked them and they are still to be announced for R&L (and Download are only playing the exclusive card to maximise sales until R&L announce them). The second is that the two festivals Neil heard about were Soni and Download and they were never going to play R&L, which is why Download now have them as an exclusive. The fact that they've been taken off the R&L rumours page would suggest that the latter is true.

There are two possibilities - the two festivals were Soni and R&L, but after Soni being cancelled Download have booked them and they are still to be announced for R&L (and Download are only playing the exclusive card to maximise sales until R&L announce them). The second is that the two festivals Neil heard about were Soni and Download and they were never going to play R&L, which is why Download now have them as an exclusive. The fact that they've been taken off the R&L rumours page would suggest that the latter is true.

Ah OK, in that case the the thing about the two festivals (or R&L being the second festival) must have been wrong (or was right but now Neil believes it to be wrong). If they were always going to be at R&L and they're just waiting to be announced why have they been removed from the line-up page?

Ah OK, in that case the the thing about the two festivals (or R&L being the second festival) must have been wrong (or was right but now Neil believes it to be wrong). If they were always going to be at R&L and they're just waiting to be announced why have they been removed from the line-up page?

It just seems odd that even when Soni initially claimed them to be an exclusive he had them down for a second festival and thought it could be R&L, but now Soni's cancelled and Download announce them as an exclusive they're out of the picture.

I really wish Neil would let us know what information he got that made him take them off the rumour page.

TBH trust in Neil not to just do that because DL said exclusive: Soni did before and he kept it, maybe DL really HAVE got the exclusivity. I fucking hope not though. His info may also be in regards to a possible UK show?

I really wish Neil would let us know what information he got that made him take them off the rumour page.

TBH trust in Neil not to just do that because DL said exclusive: Soni did before and he kept it, maybe DL really HAVE got the exclusivity. I fucking hope not though. His info may also be in regards to a possible UK show?

Saw on another forum that Mike Davies confirmed, on Radio 1 last night, that the Lock Up will be annouced 2 weeks from yesterday, so on 17th April, anyone know if there's any truth behind this? Seems a bit early from my memory of previous years.

Social Distortion at Rock En Seine on the Sunday, so headlining the Lock-Up Friday Reading/Saturday Leeds?

Mike Ness said on Mike Davies' show that they were coming over to the UK, but no UK dates announced as yet.

The reason for that is the guy that books the Lock Up stage has said before that he tried to get them but they were too expensive. It's possible that since they are already in the country in Aug maybe they would take less than what they wanted last time since they are not coming over just for R&L.

The reason for that is the guy that books the Lock Up stage has said before that he tried to get them but they were too expensive. It's possible that since they are already in the country in Aug maybe they would take less than what they wanted last time since they are not coming over just for R&L.