Latest Festivals News

Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Latitude 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
375 replies to this topic

#241 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

Elitist hipster supervillian

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Still not true, looking at them acts no not lively but it hardly means it appeals only to those in retirement homes. They are very popular with the yoof of today if you look at there fans...

I think you're taking what was probably a jokey comment too seriously :P

#242 dingbat2

dingbat2

The wisest man is generally he who thinks himself the least so.

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

In my opinion Elbow have been the best band this century. Yeah, there music is not exactly lively, its not that type of music, but they put everything into their sets, especially Guy Garvey who is probably the best front men there is around, puts 100% into every gig and providing emotion and a bit of comedy to every set. Always seem humble and honoured every time they play. He makes every gig intimate, even a crowd of 60.000ish ion the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury. Listening to them live gives my goose bumps. I remember watching them at the Queens Head in 2008 (the best gig I gig I have ever been to) and there were genuinely people welling up with emotion - that's how good they can be. Many a debate has been had about their best album, for me its Seldom Seen Kid, (try the live recording they did at Abbey Road) but the earlier stuff is also brilliant - Great Expectations, Powder Blue, Newborn, Scattered Black and Whites, The Stops, there are too many to name!

#243 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

In my opinion Elbow have been the best band this century. Yeah, there music is not exactly lively, its not that type of music, but they put everything into their sets, especially Guy Garvey who is probably the best front men there is around, puts 100% into every gig and providing emotion and a bit of comedy to every set. Always seem humble and honoured every time they play. He makes every gig intimate, even a crowd of 60.000ish ion the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury. Listening to them live gives my goose bumps. I remember watching them at the Queens Head in 2008 (the best gig I gig I have ever been to) and there were genuinely people welling up with emotion - that's how good they can be. Many a debate has been had about their best album, for me its Seldom Seen Kid, (try the live recording they did at Abbey Road) but the earlier stuff is also brilliant - Great Expectations, Powder Blue, Newborn, Scattered Black and Whites, The Stops, there are too many to name!

I'm amazed there's a debate. I find their prior albums really really dull. They are excellent live, but they probably wouldn't make my top 10 performances. I think there's been a fair number of better bands this century as well, just not many that have had a major level of success.

#244 Tugger2k

Tugger2k

your love will be, safe with me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Seldom Seen Kid, (try the live recording they did at Abbey Road)

this

i fully expect strings, horns, full accompaniment seeing as its maybe not their biggest gig ever, but 1st headliner, i would expect not a stop unpulled

#245 Tugger2k

Tugger2k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

alabama shakes have suday the 15th down on their website

#246 dingbat2

dingbat2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'm amazed there's a debate. I find their prior albums really really dull. They are excellent live, but they probably wouldn't make my top 10 performances. I think there's been a fair number of better bands this century as well, just not many that have had a major level of success.

But that's what makes music great, different people, different tastes! I meant every word of my post but accept they are not everyone's cup of tea. For me they have been the best band around for the last 10 years, and I am proud to say it! Fair play to anyone with different views, it's why I like festivals and music generally, everyone has different likes and dislikes no one is the same, and I can find music at festivals which I have never heard of before which I end up loving.

#247 dingbat2

dingbat2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

this

i fully expect strings, horns, full accompaniment seeing as its maybe not their biggest gig ever, but 1st headliner, i would expect not a stop unpulled

They always have strings these day, and I always like how happy the violinists are when they play, they seem to be having a right good laugh!

Elbow have headlined before, Bestival a couple of years back or so

#248 Tugger2k

Tugger2k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

They always have strings these day, and I always like how happy the violinists are when they play, they seem to be having a right good laugh!

Elbow have headlined before, Bestival a couple of years back or so

i stand corrected

they will be awesome, and they better bloody play forget myself
last tim i heard that was at the roundhouse in 08, its my fave track of theirs, and it was a birthday gig, made my night

#249 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

But that's what makes music great, different people, different tastes! I meant every word of my post but accept they are not everyone's cup of tea. For me they have been the best band around for the last 10 years, and I am proud to say it! Fair play to anyone with different views, it's why I like festivals and music generally, everyone has different likes and dislikes no one is the same, and I can find music at festivals which I have never heard of before which I end up loving.

Oh, I appreciate that. There are many bands for whom I have a favourite album but can see the strengths of others, my comment was more that I can't even see there being a reason to like the other albums more. I genuinely can't see why anyone would prefer another, at all.

But yeah, I love discovering music, I think the process of discovering music is as much a joy for me as actually listening to it. Amazing really.

#250 dingbat2

dingbat2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

i stand corrected

they will be awesome, and they better bloody play forget myself
last tim i heard that was at the roundhouse in 08, its my fave track of theirs, and it was a birthday gig, made my night

They rarely playing anything from albums pre SSK these days. station Approach and if your lucky Great Expectations but thats about it. Saying that they did play Scattered Black and Whites at their Manchester Cathedral gig at Manchester Cathedral gig last year, which was absolutely immense. I recommend a watch of them performing that song on YouTube - it sums up why I like them so much in one song!

#251 Tugger2k

Tugger2k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

They rarely playing anything from albums pre SSK these days. station Approach and if your lucky Great Expectations but thats about it. Saying that they did play Scattered Black and Whites at their Manchester Cathedral gig at Manchester Cathedral gig last year, which was absolutely immense. I recommend a watch of them performing that song on YouTube - it sums up why I like them so much in one song!

surely with a headline slot and 1 1/2 hours to fill they can find the time for an old stand out ;)

and i will be very disapointed if newborn isnt there too, it was truly beautiful last time they played henham park http://www.setlist.f...d-2bd52402.html

Edited by Tugger2k, 14 March 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#252 dingbat2

dingbat2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

... Just watched Scattered Black and Whites at Manchester Cathedral on YouTube, and my god is that good. I beg everyone to watch that song from start to finish. That's Elbow and if you are not moved by that performance alone, then you will not enjoy Elbow ever! awe inspiring stuff

In my opinion!

#253 dingbat2

dingbat2

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

surely with a headline slot and 1 1/2 hours to fill they can find the time for an old stand out ;)

and i will be very disapointed if newborn isnt there too, it was truly beautiful last time they played henham park http://www.setlist.f...d-2bd52402.html

I was there with my wife that night and it was such a treat to have Elbow followed by Sigur Ros. Heavenly line up that night

Haven't heard them play Newborn live since then however...

#254 Tugger2k

Tugger2k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

I was there with my wife that night and it was such a treat to have Elbow followed by Sigur Ros. Heavenly line up that night

beautiful wasnt it
a truly great 3 hours of aural heaven

Haven't heard them play Newborn live since then however...

:(

#255 Tugger2k

Tugger2k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

disaster. cant find my digital (damn you virus's and system reboots) or cd's (damn me for not filing them alphabetically correctly).
reduced to shitty youtube's of 'dont get weird on me babe'

#256 sjp61

sjp61

Festival Freak

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing Paul Weller!

#257 Tugger2k

Tugger2k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

right, 4 hours of spotifing, a certain swedish website that shall not be mentioned (and similar sites) and trawling through band and myspace websites merely reveals

sbtrtk & we have band are on friday
battles are on saturday
alabama shakes & we are augustines are on sunday

and that it so far

but i have a LOT to listen to

roll on the 12th july

#258 Pablohoney46

Pablohoney46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

right, 4 hours of spotifing, a certain swedish website that shall not be mentioned (and similar sites) and trawling through band and myspace websites merely reveals

sbtrtk & we have band are on friday
battles are on saturday
alabama shakes & we are augustines are on sunday

and that it so far

but i have a LOT to listen to

roll on the 12th july

Nice work.

I am going to look Alabama Shakes - they have been mentioned a few times but never heard them before.

#259 Tugger2k

Tugger2k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

Nice work.

I am going to look Alabama Shakes - they have been mentioned a few times but never heard them before.

i know your not a justin vernon fan, BUT, just imagine, the obelisk, starlight, a respectful crowd........

#260 Tugger2k

Tugger2k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

or this, with the stars shining, the crowd beautiful..............