Latest Festivals News

Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

First Guff From Melvin About 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#61 Andy0808 v3.0

Andy0808 v3.0

Barely Legal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Having a Raconteurs and Pixies undercard to someone like Foo Fighters would be amazing. Although i still think the Pixies are Headliner material.

#62 Couchy

Couchy

Currently in Vietnam/Malaysia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Although i still think the Pixies are Headliner material.

Does anyone know if they pulled a big crowd in '05? I was 17 at the time & never heard of them, I think I went with a friend to see Kasabian who I had also just recently heard of.

#63 rexclark

rexclark

E-Talking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,328 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

Pixies crowd at Leeds was poor. The Killers got a far bigger crowd then everyone fucked off to see Kasabian. Pixies were excellant that night of course.

#64 Andy0808 v3.0

Andy0808 v3.0

Barely Legal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

ahh, If they were to get a spot at Reading next year rather than Latitude it'd 100% be the highlight of my Reading. Pretty much the only band left that i desperately want to see, even as sub-headliners i think seeing some of their hits as the sun sets would be absolutely amazing.

#65 Dan R

Dan R

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

I really hope the Pixies don't sub, at least not to a big headliner. The crowd will be full of people just wanting to get near the front and won't give a fuck about the Pixies. Would much prefer them to play somewhere else and get the reception they deserve.
That said if they were booked in that slot I'd be over the moon.

#66 neatneatneat

neatneatneat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

Does anyone know if they pulled a big crowd in '05? I was 17 at the time & never heard of them, I think I went with a friend to see Kasabian who I had also just recently heard of.

I was quite near the front so thought there was a big crowd though have subsequently been told that the crowd wasn't so big. They have toured extensively though since then and I think more people are familiar with their stuff.

I can't see them headlining R&L next year though. Not with all the other, more commercially attractive bands touring. (Foos, Green Day, Jay-Z, Radiohead etc). MB is a bit spoilt for choice next year. Just hope he gets it right!

#67 mrtourette

mrtourette

purple monkey dishwasher

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:12 AM

They haven't exactly done much touring in the UK though. I think their profile is smaller now than is was then, there was a lot of hype surrounding them reforming and I doubt they'd get a bigger crowd now than they did in 2005.

#68 jump

jump

"That's what I said"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

With them subbing at IOW a few years ago any chance of them headlining is slim to none and imo I see them as NME headliners now.

#69 RichieParf

RichieParf

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

Reading & Leeds will have to get more progressive with their line-ups sooner or later, else they'll be booking bands when there's no audience for them.

The audience is primarily aged 16 to 20. What are 16 to 20 year olds listening to nowadays?

Saw on the news that the top 20 live acts (in terms of audience size) last year in the US were all old acts, youngest one on there was Britney Spears. R&L appeals to the younger audience, but I think its a misrepresentation to take a sweeping brush and say that none of the 16-20 yr olds are listening to some of the older acts. Its not a pop festival, you would probably define Reading as popier than Download, rockier than V.

I'm not sure what the progressive acts you're referring to are, but I don't see that there are any good bookings that would fall outside the usual pattern. Someone like Jay-Z, as pointed out, is not a departure from the status quo. Eminem, Cypress Hill, Dizzee Rascall, Lethal Bizzle, stop me any time.

#70 Dan R

Dan R

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

Just saw a quote from MB saying that they're going to introduce a deposit scheme straight away for this years festival.
I think it's a great idea, will bring in a lot of people who cant afford £200 in one lump sum.

#71 Couchy

Couchy

Currently in Vietnam/Malaysia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

I think it's a great idea, will bring in a lot of people who cant afford £200 in one lump sum.

Most of the attendees probably!

Will probably jump on this if the line up has at least as at least 10 initial bands I want to see.

Edited by Couchy, 29 December 2011 - 08:14 PM.

#72 Vacant0

Vacant0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

No - but Bigger than Razorlight and at least equal to Franz Ferdinand & Arcade Fire though. Possibly Smashing Pumpkins as well - I was pretty much at the front for those so not entirely sure how busy it was. Reckon they'd get a smaller crowd now than then anyhow.

#73 pablopablo

pablopablo

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Just saw a quote from MB saying that they're going to introduce a deposit scheme straight away for this years festival.

You got a link to this mate?
Cheers

#74 Dan R

Dan R

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

You got a link to this mate?
Cheers

It was in this weeks NME, I just skimmed through and saw it, think it was in a 2012 festival article they had. I know it's not the most reliable source but I'm sure it was a direct quote so there's only so wrong they could get it :P

#75 dip

dip

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

He's's in todays NME saying how he thinks a guitar band with an angrier lyric and a harsher sound is going to have a resurgence because of the economy atm. No idea if this is at all relevant.

#76 lharris92

lharris92

Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

rage??!?!?!?!?!?!

#77 5co77ie

5co77ie

eFestivals' editor

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

He's's in todays NME saying how he thinks a guitar band with an angrier lyric and a harsher sound is going to have a resurgence because of the economy atm. No idea if this is at all relevant.

Ehh - angrier lyrics and harsher sound - but... that's the label they gave Primal Scream - but surely they're on hiatus with The Stone Roses resurgent????

Edited by 5co77ie, 04 January 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#78 5co77ie

5co77ie

eFestivals' editor

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

Just read the Primal's wiki - it says:

It is believed that Mani is to be replaced by ex Ocean Colour Scene bassist Damon Minchella. This was confirmed on Tuesday 3rd Janurary 2012.

#79 jump

jump

"That's what I said"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

PRIMAL SCREAM TO HEADLINE THEN!!!

#80 dip

dip

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

it's under their 100 new bands you need to hear moniker, so I don't think it's a hint. maybe just a direction that they're looking to go.