Latest Festivals News

Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Photo

Kendal Calling 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2693 replies to this topic

#1781 comfortablynumb1910

comfortablynumb1910

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Where abouts do you have tickets for ? Are you in the emperors or general ? You won't have any trouble getting in to the site

Were in general camping. Been reading through the day splits and although still a bit pi**ed off, if I HAD to miss a day it would be Friday. Had a horrible vision of having to throw the young uns over a fence to get in !
It`s my own fault for arriving so late but would like to minimise that damage by still getting into the family camping area. Whats my chances ???

#1782 LOCHLAND5

LOCHLAND5

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

Were in general camping. Been reading through the day splits and although still a bit pi**ed off, if I HAD to miss a day it would be Friday. Had a horrible vision of having to throw the young uns over a fence to get in !
It`s my own fault for arriving so late but would like to minimise that damage by still getting into the family camping area. Whats my chances ???

Is there no one you know going down before you ?

#1783 ramragon

ramragon

staying out for the summer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

I was gonna offer to take the tent off you at Wickerman and set it up for you but we're in the emperors so I can't imagine I'll be able to get it thru and set up in the general area that easy, I don't think the areas were jam packed last year, plus I've gotta say with you having bairns you probably wouldn't wanna be in the thick of it anyway. The general camping over the last few years has tended to be louder with loads of drunken teens and I can't imagine this year being much different so maybes arriving a bit later and being forced to camp on the outskirts of the field would do you a favour anyway. Wherever you camp you won't have that far to trek to get in to the arena so don't let that worry you,

Don't think you'll have trouble either getting in or finding a spot to camp to be honest

#1784 sam12betsy

sam12betsy

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

We were in quiet / family last year and there was quite a bit of room left by the Sunday.

#1785 MickL

MickL

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Preparations have begun is sunny Ossett......
  • Checklist done
  • Disposable BBQs bought (3 x party size, 3 x regular size)
  • BBQ utensils checked
  • Paper plates bought
  • Plastic glasses bought
  • New windbreak bought
  • Tent checked
  • Tent light & head torches checked
  • Air pump checked
Just clothes, toiletries, food & drink to sort out before all systems are go!!

#1786 Guest_manc_al_*

Guest_manc_al_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

• Checklist done
  • BBQ utensils checked
  • Paper plates bought
  • Plastic glasses bought
  • New windbreak bought
  • Tent checked
  • Air pump checked

I'll be pretty much sorted after tomorrow as well....not able to check the tent before I go though....been too wet and I'm at Wickerman next weekend.

Should be OK though, aired it and packed it away when I got home from KC last year

#1787 kaytee...

kaytee...

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm way excited now. Sunday is the start of my working week so from tomorrow I can say Kendal is next week :)

Sorted all my camping gear now, bought gas for my stove, alcohol has been stored away, clothing packed for all possible weather conditions. All I need to do now is get there with all my stuff on the coach with minimal back damage - I don't know the meaning of packing lightly.

#1788 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

• Checklist done
  • BBQ utensils checked
  • Paper plates bought
  • Plastic glasses bought
  • New windbreak bought
  • Tent checked
  • Air pump checked

Pretty much mirrors the list I've been working from, give up on disposable bbqs tho after 6 tries I've found 2 decent ones and ended up cooking stuff on a camping stove instead. Bought a foldable BBQ that folds flat this year and some charcoal, shud have more success from that.......hopefully !

#1789 kaytee...

kaytee...

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

I don't want to jinx it, and I know it's still 15 days away but the forecast at the moment is looking very good http://www.accuweath...2478?view=table

#1790 Joy division Oven Gloves

Joy division Oven Gloves

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

The Hop in wakey is dangeous when someone decent is on lol.....have you done The Hop in Leeds? Better for music

I prefer the Wakey Hop just because it generally puts more stuff on which I like. Seen Jeffrey Lewis, Piskie Sits, King Charles and loads of stuff at the Long Division festivals there. Been the the Leeds Hop on the end of the Holbeck Run (Grove/Midnight Bell/Cross Keys) and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure about bands playing on the balcony. I prefer the 'in yer face' Wakey venue. but I like them both

#1791 LOCHLAND5

LOCHLAND5

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Manc-Al great to meet you this evening ! Hic!
See you in the fields.

#1792 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

As usual the bands I wanna see seem to be concentrated around the main stage, calling out and kaylied (chai wallahs), can anyone recommend a band or act for some of the other stages for me to take in, I think pretty much every suggestion on here falls in to the 3 stages I mentioned.

Apart from lakelands Utah saints knees up which still has me shivering now

#1793 MickeyMo

MickeyMo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

As usual the bands I wanna see seem to be concentrated around the main stage, calling out and kaylied (chai wallahs), can anyone recommend a band or act for some of the other stages for me to take in, I think pretty much every suggestion on here falls in to the 3 stages I mentioned.

Victorian Dad - Riot Jazz on Saturday. Seriously good songwriting and a really tight band. Seen them half a dozen times at least.

Stan's Magic Foot - Riot Jazz Sunday. Great fun. Mainly covers of diverse stuff such as Killing in the Name Of and Milkshake. With an Eastern European feel. Check the videos.

Edited by MickeyMo, 14 July 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#1794 Joy division Oven Gloves

Joy division Oven Gloves

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

The Riot Jazz is usually worth a few hours, regardless of whose on. Real mix of stuff on there, plus the odd band who has played on a bigger stage doing a more 'relaxed' session in there. Looks like King Charles might be doing that this year. Only trouble has been the absence of a bar nearby. Alpines in the woods, and Tim Burgess' cafe are on my hit list

#1795 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Cheers, I seem to remember stumbling in to the riot jazz last year about midnight before heading back to the tent. God knows who was on, got some memories of an Irish lass singing with a gypsy style band playing, although admittedly that could have been some dodgy food or drink kicking in

#1796 comfortablynumb1910

comfortablynumb1910

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

I was gonna offer to take the tent off you at Wickerman and set it up for you but we're in the emperors so I can't imagine I'll be able to get it thru and set up in the general area that easy, I don't think the areas were jam packed last year, plus I've gotta say with you having bairns you probably wouldn't wanna be in the thick of it anyway. The general camping over the last few years has tended to be louder with loads of drunken teens and I can't imagine this year being much different so maybes arriving a bit later and being forced to camp on the outskirts of the field would do you a favour anyway. Wherever you camp you won't have that far to trek to get in to the arena so don't let that worry you,

Don't think you'll have trouble either getting in or finding a spot to camp to be honest

Cheers sir, Am sure we`ll get in somwhere ! Will have that feeling of arriving late at the party but really looking forward to out 1st Kendal. Went up North to see James at a fest in May and they are in amazing form. I suspect they might steal the show and atleast we are there in plenty of time to catch their set !
Weather up my way on the up. Dry for 3 days !!!!! I`m only an hour or so from Wickerman so the first of the double header is looking good to be mud free !

#1797 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Weather up my way on the up. Dry for 3 days !!!!! I`m only an hour or so from Wickerman so the first of the double header is looking good to be mud free !

Honestly think you're stressing over little mate, although in you're position I know I'd feel the same, good to hear weathers improving a bit, me an manc al are doing the same double header, meeting for a beer at 6pm in the beer tent if you fancy nipping over and introducing yourself, everyone's strangers so just look for people staring round the room trying to work out who's who and it'll probably be us !

#1798 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Cheers sir, Am sure we`ll get in somwhere ! Will have that feeling of arriving late at the party but really looking forward to out 1st Kendal. Went up North to see James at a fest in May and they are in amazing form. I suspect they might steal the show and atleast we are there in plenty of time to catch their set !

James are playing a set not far down the road from where I live, 2 day festival for 50quid including camping, James and the pogues headlining. Not sure if the Missus would agree with my need to do 3 festivals in 2 weeks tho !

#1799 MickL

MickL

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

Anyone had any thoughts yet about a time & place for a meet yet? Looking at the map, a couple of options as top places.....campsite bar/solar songsmith? tim peaks diner? in front of the main stage (near sound control)? chai wallahs?

Any thoughts?

#1800 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Anyone had any thoughts yet about a time & place for a meet yet? Looking at the map, a couple of options as top places.....campsite bar/solar songsmith? tim peaks diner? in front of the main stage (near sound control)? chai wallahs?

Any thoughts?

I thought Lakeland wanted to meet at Utah saints

Im holding the pints !