Kendal Calling 2012

Guest Flaminglippy

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather changes all too often in this country for my liking but if the above forecast is anything to go by, things might be looking up. I've just realised it's July already and I can't remember many dry days the past month so a bit more sunshine will make the festival all the better.

Always best to stay positive and make the most of any weather. Its Cumbria, its supposed to rain there anyway.

Back to the music and announcements. Wondering if there is at least one biggish band to come. Looking back at other years and american acts such as house of pain, ok go. none this year is there?

I love scroobius pip, and will be checking out both sets, but he isnt a second to the headliner act......yet.

Still an immense line up anyway.

If anyone's interested, my friend and I will be getting off the train at Penrith on Thursday at 11.45am and will be getting a taxi out to KC if anyone fancies sharing to half the cost?

Plan is to get off the train and go to a pub near the station for a couple of drinks - from looking on Streetview at what's round about, this will most likely be the Agricultural Hotel/Bar (unless anyone has any better suggestions or recommendations?) Then head to the festival about 2pm. If there's two or three others who will be arriving in Penrith at roughly the same time and would be keen to share a taxi then let me know!

Edited by CRS111

Forecast from the Met Office for North West England from Sunday 15th to Sunday 29th July:

There are always uncertainties at this forecast range, but there are signs of more settled weather. Rainfall amounts are likely to be near or below average for July, with the best chance of dry weather probably later on. Temperatures will probably be near or above average across the UK, with northern parts possibly faring best compared to regional averages. Any warm or very warm days are more likely to come later in July rather than mid-month. Sunshine amounts are likely to be around average.

To me, this is all begining to look positive, but then again, I always see the good!!

Edited by ramragon

Is there anything happening on the Thursday this year in the arena? I went early afternoon Friday last year in regular camping and finding a space wasn't a problem or anything but after trying to set tents up, we just wanted to chill a bit but felt we might have missed out. Staying in emperors this year so one extra day sounds appealing with the showers and decent toilets.

Is a thursday ticket worth it to settle in? (and get an extra day off work of course)

Always best to stay positive and make the most of any weather. Its Cumbria, its supposed to rain there anyway.

Back to the music and announcements. Wondering if there is at least one biggish band to come. Looking back at other years and american acts such as house of pain, ok go. none this year is there?

I love scroobius pip, and will be checking out both sets, but he isnt a second to the headliner act......yet.

Still an immense line up anyway.

Is there anything happening on the Thursday this year in the arena? I went early afternoon Friday last year in regular camping and finding a space wasn't a problem or anything but after trying to set tents up, we just wanted to chill a bit but felt we might have missed out. Staying in emperors this year so one extra day sounds appealing with the showers and decent toilets.

Is a thursday ticket worth it to settle in? (and get an extra day off work of course)

Edited by ramragon

We took the Thursday option last year to get set up and relaxed, as for entertainment, in the kaylied area and monstrous garden the bars were open as well as a few food joints and stalls. There were a busker style band playing outside the kaylied around 11pm but other than that not a lot happening. The rest of the festival site was fenced off with access to a small part.

For the extra cash you just get the opportunity to set up in a decent spot at your own pace so you can enjoy the festival without the rush of setting up Friday and trying to catch bands.

For me it was money well spent

Having said that if you're used to festivals like Glastonbury where if you're not there early it's pot luck where you end up then it's nothing like that. I got the impression that even if I turned up Saturday morning I'd still find a spot easily enough.

Think I might as well go on Thursday then, hopefully the train will be a bit quieter then too. Any idea how much a taxi is from the station? I got the bus last year but I don't think they're running on the thursday

Edited by Flaminglippy

about £15 quid...they were very good, arranged to meet us on the Monday morning for the return journey

they had some magicians and stuff on the Thursday night, either last year or the year before.

nice just to get there and pitch up rather than rushing around on the Friday when the bands are on

On another note, is anyone here taking advantage of the fancy dress theme? I didn't do anything last year because I wasn't sure how many dressed up but when half the field were kitted out, I felt like the odd one out ha!

Trying to get my good lady to sign-up to the fancy dress theme this year.....was a bit of a laugh last year looking at some of the homemade stuff.

I keep telling her that out of the 8000+ there, she'll not see any of them again (with the exception of a handful) so why not give it a go.....think I'm winning at the moment, but there is still a long way to go!!.

Maybe theres something here thay you may find useful Kaytee......

http://direct.asda.c...default,sc.html

I was actually considering fancy dress this year but the thought of carrying the weight of a 'Jabba The Hut' costume in addition to everything else is putting me off...plus if its raining it'll get trashed, if its hot you'll be sweltering, and its a bugger to get in and out of most costumes to use the loo.

I was actually considering fancy dress this year but the thought of carrying the weight of a 'Jabba The Hut' costume in addition to everything else is putting me off...plus if its raining it'll get trashed, if its hot you'll be sweltering, and its a bugger to get in and out of most costumes to use the loo.