Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Kendal Calling 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2693 replies to this topic

#41 Flaminglippy

Flaminglippy

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

seen the charlatans live a few times and ive gotta say they aint got better with time, pretty poor the last time i saw em touring with shaun ryder.

They were definately better back in the day, but doing a classic album, properly, would be worth a look

#42 Joy division Oven Gloves

Joy division Oven Gloves

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

I'd feel a bit disappointed if the Charlatans headlined. I'd be happier if they dropped into the Bunnymen position from last year, but I'd still prefer some of the other names mentioned earlier. Although, after a few Kendales I'm sure I could get into it..

Saw a band called The Lovely Eggs last week, who I missed at Kendal this year. I think they played in the kiddies area, or one of the really small stages. At The Hop in Wakefield on Saturday they were just my cup of tea, I'd have them in the Calling Out tent and be whistling all weekend.

#43 Flaminglippy

Flaminglippy

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

I'd feel a bit disappointed if the Charlatans headlined. I'd be happier if they dropped into the Bunnymen position from last year, but I'd still prefer some of the other names mentioned earlier. Although, after a few Kendales I'm sure I could get into it..

Saw a band called The Lovely Eggs last week, who I missed at Kendal this year. I think they played in the kiddies area, or one of the really small stages. At The Hop in Wakefield on Saturday they were just my cup of tea, I'd have them in the Calling Out tent and be whistling all weekend.

Yeah...reckon Charlies would be sub-headliners like The Lev's last year.

Saw some right corkers in the Calling Out last year...Red Suns were brilliant...happily spend all day in there if the main stage is crap..which I'm sure it won't be.

#44 mammamia27

mammamia27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

As a massive James fan, I would be absolutely over the moon if they were playing. As it is, I'm just looking forward to a weekend of relaxing, plus a bit of fun and a lot of cider :D

#45 Flaminglippy

Flaminglippy

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

As a massive James fan, I would be absolutely over the moon if they were playing. As it is, I'm just looking forward to a weekend of relaxing, plus a bit of fun and a lot of cider :D

Could see them headlining Sunday night...great way to end the weekend...oh, maybe with Charlatans beforehand?

#46 mammamia27

mammamia27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Could see them headlining Sunday night...great way to end the weekend...oh, maybe with Charlatans beforehand?

Dunno, last time I saw the Charlatans I got into a bit of bother with a stupid cow behind me determined to get my place on the barrier, clawing me and tipping drinks down the back of me trousers! :mellow: lol

#47 ramragon

ramragon

staying out for the summer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

another good festival band with a decent back catalogue who wouldnt cost the earth is Band Of Horses, not sure if theyre planning a tour next year or not but if they are they'd be a welcome addition to any line up. Seen them a few times in the past and always enjoyed their sets..

James would be great as well, they seem to have been headlining similar sized events over the last few years so its a decent possibility. Cant remember if Ocean Colour Scene have played in previous years but i know theyre touring as well, i could imagine them fitting in to a sunday night slot like ash or the coral have in the past

#48 Flaminglippy

Flaminglippy

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

another good festival band with a decent back catalogue who wouldnt cost the earth is Band Of Horses, not sure if theyre planning a tour next year or not but if they are they'd be a welcome addition to any line up. Seen them a few times in the past and always enjoyed their sets..

James would be great as well, they seem to have been headlining similar sized events over the last few years so its a decent possibility. Cant remember if Ocean Colour Scene have played in previous years but i know theyre touring as well, i could imagine them fitting in to a sunday night slot like ash or the coral have in the past

Yeah...I fancy James as Sunday night headliner

#49 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:03 AM

Saw some right corkers in the Calling Out last year...Red Suns were brilliant...happily spend all day in there if the main stage is crap..which I'm sure it won't be.

Before i went last year i convinced myself that id spend loads of time in the calling out tent, sad to say i really didnt make that much effort when i was on site, maybes had something to do with having my wife and 10 year old daughter at their first festivals. More effort will be made this year !

#50 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

Yeah...I fancy James as Sunday night headliner

i see on their official site they have released

"James have just been confirmed as the Saturday night headliners for next summer’s Wychwood Music Festival, which will take place at Cheltenham Racecourse over the weekend of 8 – 10 June 2012."

Wychwood seems a similar sized festival, so with James obviously doing the rounds next summer it seems like a distinct possibility

#51 Joy division Oven Gloves

Joy division Oven Gloves

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

Before i went last year i convinced myself that id spend loads of time in the calling out tent, sad to say i really didnt make that much effort when i was on site, maybes had something to do with having my wife and 10 year old daughter at their first festivals. More effort will be made this year !

I got the wife to take a mate with her so that I could slide off down to the Calling Out whenever the fancy took, purely in order to give them a bit of girl time. Worked a treat

#52 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

I got the wife to take a mate with her so that I could slide off down to the Calling Out whenever the fancy took, purely in order to give them a bit of girl time. Worked a treat

sounds like a plan ! the bairns a year older this year so im hoping they explore on their own a bit more, have you managed to get tickets in the pre xmas sale then or are you waiting till the early 2012 offer.

ours arrived last week and have been stashed in the cupboard for safe keeping !

#53 Flaminglippy

Flaminglippy

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

Yup...always works! Mind you, the beauty of Kendal is you're never more than 2 minutes away from anywhere else...

God, I love Kendal!

#54 mammamia27

mammamia27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

Was gutted when I saw James were playing Wychwood as I'm not in the country then, so fingers crossed eh!

Will be a fab weekend regardless though! I ordered tix in the sale too :) (anyone know when campervan tix will be available?)

Only 7/8months to go!

Edited by mammamia27, 13 December 2011 - 05:42 PM.

#55 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

Will be a fab weekend regardless though! I ordered tix in the sale too :) (anyone know when campervan tix will be available?)

Only 7/8months to go!

would imagine they'll use a similar sales pitch as last year, with the campervan, thursday and emperors field tickets going on sale early february.

i did contact the team about the emperors fields tickets and it was hinted that people who bought the pre sale tickets would be given first option to buy tickets for the emperors field.which is good news.

#56 Joy division Oven Gloves

Joy division Oven Gloves

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

sounds like a plan ! the bairns a year older this year so im hoping they explore on their own a bit more, have you managed to get tickets in the pre xmas sale then or are you waiting till the early 2012 offer.

ours arrived last week and have been stashed in the cupboard for safe keeping !

Didn't get any early bird tickets cos we're not sure yet how many we want, and I'm still trying convince a 48 year old festival virgin mate who is the only other Biscuits/Fall/Smiths/Factory fan in the WF8 postcode that its not all rain and blocked toilets.

Must admit I'm a bit twitchy about not having tickets yet, but we need Emperors Field for the extra elbow room, so no doubt I'm have a nervy morning on the internet at the beginning of February.

Just to chuck another couple of bands into the speculation hat, Belle and Sebastian (saw them earlier this year and they were top drawer) and The Wedding Present. B&S nowadays don't tour too much, but if the timing is right they are about the right size. The Weddoes might not be in the spotlight too much anymore, but I love 'em, they've an impressive back catalogue and they have done a lot of the northern festivals over the years

#57 Flaminglippy

Flaminglippy

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

Didn't get any early bird tickets cos we're not sure yet how many we want, and I'm still trying convince a 48 year old festival virgin mate who is the only other Biscuits/Fall/Smiths/Factory fan in the WF8 postcode that its not all rain and blocked toilets.

Must admit I'm a bit twitchy about not having tickets yet, but we need Emperors Field for the extra elbow room, so no doubt I'm have a nervy morning on the internet at the beginning of February.

Just to chuck another couple of bands into the speculation hat, Belle and Sebastian (saw them earlier this year and they were top drawer) and The Wedding Present. B&S nowadays don't tour too much, but if the timing is right they are about the right size. The Weddoes might not be in the spotlight too much anymore, but I love 'em, they've an impressive back catalogue and they have done a lot of the northern festivals over the years

Couple of good shouts...saw B&S end of last year and they were brilliant...

Thing about Kendal...they could literally announce anybody...

#58 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

Belle and sebastian would make a great additionto the list, a band i've never managed to catch live although i enjoy their stuff. think we'll have a few months to wait befor we get the first hint to who's playing !

#59 ramragon

ramragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

had the mp3 player on random and id forgotten how much i enjoyed the early courteeners stuff, they'd make a great sat night headliner, bout the right size to headline as well. I could imagine the crowd going mental for not 19 forever, acrylic and what took you so long.

seen them live about 6 times, early times were much more memorable ! not sure if theyre touring next year but its a few years since falcon came out so i wouldnt put it past them to do a few festivals next year.

#60 Flaminglippy

Flaminglippy

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

had the mp3 player on random and id forgotten how much i enjoyed the early courteeners stuff, they'd make a great sat night headliner, bout the right size to headline as well. I could imagine the crowd going mental for not 19 forever, acrylic and what took you so long.

seen them live about 6 times, early times were much more memorable ! not sure if theyre touring next year but its a few years since falcon came out so i wouldnt put it past them to do a few festivals next year.

Seem to remember reading very recently they were playing new songs so would imagine they'll be doing the festies next year.