Kendal Calling 2012

Guest Flaminglippy

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been looking at the KC Facebook page and getting wound up about some of the comments people are putting on there about the paying of final installments of the deposit scheme.

The last day that payments can be made is tomorrow and people are moaning about the length of time taken to get through to Ticketline to pay the balance - for god sake people, you knew it had to be paid and by when, be more organised and don't leave it until the last minute!!!

Why give the guys at KC a hard time? It's not their fault that you're unorganised, just let them get on with doing what they're good at doing and that is organising a cracking event!!

Rant over :banghead:

Hi guys. Kendal Calling is going to be my first festival ever, and I was just wondering if I could ask a few things? You all seem to be veterans - a little intimidating, but useful!

Firstly, how much money would you recommend taking? I've been looking all over, and everyone always says it depends on what your spending is like, but I'd like a rough guideline. I'm under-age so obviously I won't be buying alcohol, and I think I'll be taking some snacks, but not enough food for the whole weekend. I've seen people on the Leeds fest forums (which I'm also going to) saying to take £300, but I don't want to take anything near that much.

Also, I'll be coming on Friday morning, as it's my boyfriend's birthday on the Thursday. His ticket is a surprise, and I thought it was a tad excessive to present him with the ticket on the morning and cart him down on the same day. So what time do you suggest getting there on Friday morning? I know the campsite will open at 9am, but is it best to come before that and queue so that I can get a better spot?

Does anyone know what the crime is like at Kendal? I've heard of a few Leeds horror stories, but haven't seen anything with Kendal. I just want to know how secure I'll need to keep my things (should I bring a £10 phone, rather than my iPhone, for example).

Lastly, I've been compiling a list of things I need to take for a while now. Is there anything you veterans can recommend taking, that I might not think of until I'm sitting in the middle of a muddy field?

Any help would be appreciated, and I'm super excited!

Festivals all seem to charge the same for food. Probably talking approx £4 ish for say a burger plus whatever you want on top of that. Spend £300 and you would be pretty big by the end. I'll be taking about £200, but i will be drinking. Best to take too much imo than spoiling your weekend by really watching the pennies.

I think the sheer size of Leeds fest attracts more thefts. I would say if you dont need to bring it, dont. Could also put a mini padlock on your tent zip if it makes you feel safer.

Phone wise. Take an old one where the battery lasts more than one day.

First things on my festival shopping list has always been. baby wipes, toilet roll and bin bags - they make great makeshift ponchos and something to sit on if needs be.

Firstly, how much money would you recommend taking? I've seen people on the Leeds fest forums (which I'm also going to) saying to take £300, but I don't want to take anything near that much.

If you're not drinking nowhere near that much. Take a little bit more than you think you need. £50 a day would be very generous if you're only talking food and soft drinks

Also, I'll be coming on Friday morning, as it's my boyfriend's birthday on the Thursday. His ticket is a surprise, and I thought it was a tad excessive to present him with the ticket on the morning and cart him down on the same day. So what time do you suggest getting there on Friday morning? I know the campsite will open at 9am, but is it best to come before that and queue so that I can get a better spot?

Get there as early as you can...get a better camping spot and you get an extra couple of hours fun.Plus you'll be all set up by the time the arena opens

Does anyone know what the crime is like at Kendal? I've heard of a few Leeds horror stories, but haven't seen anything with Kendal. I just want to know how secure I'll need to keep my things (should I bring a £10 phone, rather than my iPhone, for example).

We were robbed the first year we went. Don't take anything you don't need. Things like money/phone I would be inclined to keep in your sleeping bag at night and take out with you during the day. Try to camp by people who seem fairly sound (ie avoid pitching next to a massive tent filled with screaming drunken lads!). Getting robbed is just bad luck...this was the first time I got robbed (actually it was my missus) in god knows how many festivals. Worth chatting to the people you're camped around if they seem OK...you can keep an eye on each others tents. Don't worry too much...the chances of actually getting robbed are pretty remote

Lastly, I've been compiling a list of things I need to take for a while now. Is there anything you veterans can recommend taking, that I might not think of until I'm sitting in the middle of a muddy field?

airbed (and pump but you can borrow one if you don't take one)

decent sleeping bag

loo rolls

hand gel

light, waterproof jacket

You've chosen a great one to start off...best one I've ever been to! The people are really sound, loads of choice, nice chilled out atmosphere. Have a fantastic weekend!

Edited by Flaminglippy

oh yeah, wet wipes! how did I forget that!?

oh...and there is a shop where you can get most of the basics if you forget anything...

In terms of money there is a cashpoint there as well...I had to use it last year and there was no queue although it can get busy. I reckon 3 days if you're not drinking you'd probably take home change from £150

Edited by Flaminglippy

Hi guys. Kendal Calling is going to be my first festival ever, and I was just wondering if I could ask a few things? You all seem to be veterans - a little intimidating, but useful!

Firstly, how much money would you recommend taking? I've been looking all over, and everyone always says it depends on what your spending is like, but I'd like a rough guideline. I'm under-age so obviously I won't be buying alcohol, and I think I'll be taking some snacks, but not enough food for the whole weekend. I've seen people on the Leeds fest forums (which I'm also going to) saying to take £300, but I don't want to take anything near that much.

Wow, thanks for the help! I actually didn't even think of bringing bin bags or an airbed, just a mat. But I suppose the ground could be fairly uncomfortable. Though I have been told that tents with padlocks get targeted because they look like they hold valuables, so I think I'll just stick with keeping my things as hidden away as possible.

I really can't wait, and maybe I'll see some of you guys there!

Posted Yesterday, 09:28 PM

Wow, thanks for the help! I actually didn't even think of bringing bin bags or an airbed, just a mat. But I suppose the ground could be fairly uncomfortable. Though I have been told that tents with padlocks get targeted because they look like they hold valuables, so I think I'll just stick with keeping my things as hidden away as possible.

I really can't wait, and maybe I'll see some of you guys there!

Definitely recommend an airbed...the ground mat things are a bit crap tbh, you might just as well sleep on the floor. Given you'll be having a lot of early starts and late finishes you'll need a decent kip. Get a double airbed and get your fella to carry it! Argos have got some single airbeds on sale at the mo for £8. Bargain.

Theres other stuff like a mallet for knocking the tent pegs in etc but you can always borrow something like that from people round you.

Ohhh...I knew there was something important I'd forgot...A TORCH! Vital! If you can get a cheap head-torch thats probably best. Otherwise finding stuff in your tent or going to the loo in the night is a lot more difficult

And finally, a cheap camp chair is a great buy. Lot more comfortable when you're sitting round on the mornings waiting for the arena to open.

I warn you...by the time you've packed your clothes, water, food, tent, sleeping bag, airbed, chair, loo rolls and everything else you'll look at it and think 'How the bloody hell do I carry that lot!?'....luckily Kendal is very easy in terms of the distances from the car parks to campsites so you'll manage.

Its when you start taking booze and have to carry 20-25 cans you have to worry! (or 40-50 in my case as somehow, and I'm not quite sure how she does this....my missus can never, ever manage to fit any of her beer in her own rucksack so I end lumbered with carrying hers as well)

Edited by Flaminglippy

Yeah...you'll definitely have a load of 'WTF!?!?!' moments to take home with you. Oh, and its fancy dress on Saturday (optional). Next announcement has to be soon...its sold out so theres no point hanging round and not long until we're there anyway