Kendal Calling 2012

Guest Flaminglippy

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another few bands doing the rounds with new albums coming out are band of skulls who were amazing live the last time i saw them and i know the black keys are touring next year as well. both would be decent and uncostly additions !

by the way lippy that was me that friend requested you on facebook friday night, in case you were thinking "who the fk is that !"

really must update the efestivals avatar which i couldnt be arsed to change from the brothers glastonbury competition 2 years ago !

another few bands doing the rounds with new albums coming out are band of skulls who were amazing live the last time i saw them and i know the black keys are touring next year as well. both would be decent and uncostly additions !

by the way lippy that was me that friend requested you on facebook friday night, in case you were thinking "who the fk is that !"

really must update the efestivals avatar which i couldnt be arsed to change from the brothers glastonbury competition 2 years ago !

how many festivals do other people go to in an average year on here then ? I usually get a ticket for glastonbury for myself and go with the lads and last year added Kendal to that list but more as a family event. Quite fancy taking in another one in 2012 with the family but not sure where to head to.

The wifes registered disabled so taking her to something of the scale of glastonbury would be a nightmare for her. I was thinking more along the lines of solfest or another smaller closer event, maybes wickerman. Anyone got any decent ideas ? She's not that interested in seeing massive bands, more a decent mix of music she can wander around taking in, she wants a few stalls to look round, a few places to eat, not too far to walk from the tent to the car and a good family atmosphere.

Ive heard reports that lattitudes supposed to be decent as well.

you might find Solfest decent Ramragon. We're just waiting for the line up to be announced before deciding whether or not to go there. We went there in 2010 and it was a good time. You actually pitch your tent next to your car, so that's a real positive. Nice friendly atmos too. All just down to what they announce this year for me. We'd normally go to Beatherder, that's in Lancashire, our favourite festival, but it's clashing with the Stone Roses gig this year, so we can't go. Pretty gutted about that tbh :-(

Oh and you might already know, but some fesitvals will give you a free carer's ticket with your wife being disabled. Solfest do for sure and Beatherder. You just need to fit certain criteria (like a DLA letter for example) and you get the carer's ticket.

We might do Kendal this year, we've been a few times before, just waiting on the announcements before we decide.

The number of festis we do is all down to money. Sometimes just get the one in. Hoping for two next year :-) xx

Think i might give solfest a go next year as well then, looked in to it last year and it was a toss up between that and kendal calling for which i went to, came back feeling im sure i made the right choice. Kendal was the perfect venue to take the wife for her first festival with the exception of one minor issue. The weather was great, music spot on and the people were really friendly. I didnt think twice about grabbing tickets in the presale for 2012 and look forward to them arriving soon.

Solfest is about the same distance from where i live at only 90 minutes on the road which is ideal, i like the park the car next to the tent idea. Think i'll wait as well to see who's playing though.

some mad suggestions on the Kendal facebook page as regards to headliners...arcade fire, coldplay and radiohead are some of the more deluded suggestions (based on the fact there was no use of exclamation marks which would suggest they were jokes)

Lets have-.

Friday - Primal Scream/Public Enemy

Saturday - Nick Cave/Bombay Bicycle Club

Sunday - James/Vaccines

I'd be absolutely delighted with the Scream/Nick Cave and James, and if they are all active next year they are possibly about the right size. Lets ask for Polly Harvey warming up for Nick Cave on Saturday, and Edwyn Collins doing the Sunday afternoon stint.

I'd love to think Morrissey might be in the frame, but he generally comes with an air of 'risk'. We've seen him twice in the last couple of years, both memorable gigs, but he cancelled dates at very short notice just before both our gigs. Billy Bragg with band anybody?

It would be great to see any of Wind Up Birds, Herman Dune, Fonda 500, Jeffrey Lewis, Biscuits, The Fall, Wave Pictures dotted about the various stages, and of course get Micky P Kerr back..

Yeah...was thinking Morrissey but think he might be too big, and, as you say, slightly unreliable. Billy Bragg would be fantastic. If they get P J Harvey my missus would shit a brick.

And Wind-Up Birds would make the weekend for me...saw them when they played a couple of years ago there and fell in love with them (I think I referred to them to my mates as 'the band the Smiths could have been').

Tickets come today apparently! Now got to try and find somewhere safe to keep them for 7 and half months!

Would imagine Charlatans will be on either headliners or sub-headliers one of the days. They're getting mentioned in almost all of Kendal's Facebook posts. Given the acoustic set last year reckon they're nailed on. Apparently they're doing 'Tellin' Stories' dates which would be fantastic as long as they don't bugger about with the arrangements...

Edited by Flaminglippy

I'd feel a bit disappointed if the Charlatans headlined. I'd be happier if they dropped into the Bunnymen position from last year, but I'd still prefer some of the other names mentioned earlier. Although, after a few Kendales I'm sure I could get into it..

Saw a band called The Lovely Eggs last week, who I missed at Kendal this year. I think they played in the kiddies area, or one of the really small stages. At The Hop in Wakefield on Saturday they were just my cup of tea, I'd have them in the Calling Out tent and be whistling all weekend.

I'd feel a bit disappointed if the Charlatans headlined. I'd be happier if they dropped into the Bunnymen position from last year, but I'd still prefer some of the other names mentioned earlier. Although, after a few Kendales I'm sure I could get into it..

Saw a band called The Lovely Eggs last week, who I missed at Kendal this year. I think they played in the kiddies area, or one of the really small stages. At The Hop in Wakefield on Saturday they were just my cup of tea, I'd have them in the Calling Out tent and be whistling all weekend.

another good festival band with a decent back catalogue who wouldnt cost the earth is Band Of Horses, not sure if theyre planning a tour next year or not but if they are they'd be a welcome addition to any line up. Seen them a few times in the past and always enjoyed their sets..

James would be great as well, they seem to have been headlining similar sized events over the last few years so its a decent possibility. Cant remember if Ocean Colour Scene have played in previous years but i know theyre touring as well, i could imagine them fitting in to a sunday night slot like ash or the coral have in the past

another good festival band with a decent back catalogue who wouldnt cost the earth is Band Of Horses, not sure if theyre planning a tour next year or not but if they are they'd be a welcome addition to any line up. Seen them a few times in the past and always enjoyed their sets..

James would be great as well, they seem to have been headlining similar sized events over the last few years so its a decent possibility. Cant remember if Ocean Colour Scene have played in previous years but i know theyre touring as well, i could imagine them fitting in to a sunday night slot like ash or the coral have in the past