Guest perfectpassion

Here's hoping that we may have another topic to fill the time till next September (or June).

I recently went to see Danny & The Champions of The World at Bush Hall. Had never been to this venue before, the carpet stinks of old beer, nice chandeliers tho! Marcus Bonafanti was a pleasant surprise as support.

I had high hopes for Danny, having loved Streets of Our Times. He has changed his band, and direction, and whilst Hearts and Arrows is pure fun, it does have a couple of lovely ballards on it....

The new line up has four guitarists, a drummer and a keyboard player and the stage is pretty small! It was a bit of a disappointment to say the least...His alt country 72 era sound was boring after a while, and every track was played with 4 guitars thundering along like the Ramones meets BS in 1976. I am still a fan, but unforunatly he didn't do himself justice.

Would like to see Marcus again maybe in the Tipi?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's hoping that we may have another topic to fill the time till next September (or June).

I recently went to see Danny & The Champions of The World at Bush Hall. Had never been to this venue before, the carpet stinks of old beer, nice chandeliers tho! Marcus Bonafanti was a pleasant surprise as support.

I had high hopes for Danny, having loved Streets of Our Times. He has changed his band, and direction, and whilst Hearts and Arrows is pure fun, it does have a couple of lovely ballards on it....

The new line up has four guitarists, a drummer and a keyboard player and the stage is pretty small! It was a bit of a disappointment to say the least...His alt country 72 era sound was boring after a while, and every track was played with 4 guitars thundering along like the Ramones meets BS in 1976. I am still a fan, but unforunatly he didn't do himself justice.

Would like to see Marcus again maybe in the Tipi?

Richmond Fontaine at Bedford: slightly low-key gig at the Civic Theatre soon, which is one of of those high ceilinged rooms which makes everything sound like you're in a bathroom (not unlike electric gigs at Bush Hall), and not helped by a slightly low turn-out. Laura Gibson forgot she was carrying around on tour a 2-CD set of Pacific North West artists covering Led Zep, so I had one of those off her, and if I can find where on earth I put it, I may one day get around to playing it. They're going to knock down the theatre soon. No bad thing, just doesn't work for music.

Richmond Fontaine at the Scala: blinding gig with Post To Wire and The High Country back to back. easily the best show of the tour.

Richmond Fontaine at The Coalition, Brighton. Rather a loose show but hey, it was the last night of the full band UK tour. Amy from The Damnations seems to be having the most enormous fun singing the female parts, no doubt benefitting from her afternoon dip. (I can thoroughly recommend both Damnations albums, particularly Half-Mad Moon). Opening act is Stiv Cantarelli from Italy, on whose CD (available over here on Decor) Willie, Dave and Sean played so naturally, as an RF completist, I bought a copy. It's perfectly OK.

Hiss Golden Messenger & William Tyler at The Prince Albert, Brighton. As a long time admirer of The Court & Spark, I couldn't resist catching MC Taylor's solo project Hiss, and wasn't disappointed: absorbing songs and guitar work. Erstwhile Lambchop guitarist William Tyler's solo instrumentals didn't really hold my attention, and I had to resort to seeing how many different words I could make from "King Krule", this being the name on the poster to my left. I picked up the two available Hiss CDs, notwithstanding the merch guys' insistence that I should really buy one HGM and one WT. The latest Hiss album, Poor Moon, from which a lot of tonight's stuff came, is only available on vinyl, and there are no immediate plans for a CD issue.

Israel Nash Gripka at The Railway, Winchester. Rocking good night, I thought. Notwithstanding a spurious claim on the Brixton Windmill's website that the show Tim had put on was Gripka's first UK date, I'd seen them several months ago in Brighton, when I knew next to nothing about them and enjoyed that too. Rather loud, but not as loud as Brixton where toilet roll paper was handed out for ear protection. Warning: on reliable authority, these people are apparently not the most desirable of house guests.

Alejandro Escovedo at The Railway, Winchester. The Railway is an excellent venue. AE playing as a duo on this tour with the ever terrific David Pulkingham. AE is a great great man, for whom I have the utmost respect. Wonderful.

Edited by RedRockRick

dEUS - Koko, London

Beligium's finest musical export since Plastic Bertrand brought a proper rock show to one of London's most frustrating venues (impossibly flat on the lower levels, ridiculous bar prices for warm cans) and it was rock show that was both impressive and disappointing in equal measure. Bands shouldn't always trade on their past glories, but to virtually disown their back-catalogue is kind of insulting to the paying fans who have supported them throughout their career. It took 7 songs before we got anything that wasn't taken from the last two albums (a faultless and electrifying "Instant Street") and the other 3 songs from those earlier albums were reserved for the end. But as I say, it was still an impressive show. Their latest album, Keep You Close, is a hell of a piece of work and translated very well to a live setting. Just a shame that Greg Dulli couldn't make the trip to London to add his presence to the stage. Must also mention the support band, Balthazar, as well. Kind of reminded of other mid-90s legends, The Longpigs and I fully intend to investigate their recorded material

Gruff Rhys - St Mary The Virgin Church, Ashford, Kent

The first of, what appears to be, a series of arts council funded shows put on in a restored church in Ashford town centre. Never expected to get such a high profile name as Gruff's playing in such a small venue, virtually on our doorstep, and it was a real pleasure as well. You always know what you're going to get with him and he didn't disappoint. Infectious melody, a shambling Welsh charm and obscure banter/anecdotes galore, it was a fun and enjoyable show. A set based heavily around his latest album, Hotel Shampoo, but with strong nods to Candylion and his Welsh-language debut. He even threw in one from his collaborative effort with Tony Guetta (a terrible album, if you haven't heard it). Sadly he was running slightly late (due to a faulty clock back-stage, apparently) and I hate to think that the magnificent Skylon was dropped from the set as a result of this. Anyway, the venue was lovely and intimate, and I hope they continue to put on shows of this kind of calibre (They've got Eddi Reader and Jonny Flynn coming up in the next few months, with more to announce) as I could see it becoming a bit of a regular haunt for me.

Gigs in churches are all the rage, aren't they (Griff, Laura, Unthanks this year). I enjoyed John Grant in Halifax Minster last month, though I couldn't stand up and John obviously felt a little uncomfortable with language ! They even served real beer at Halifax - Godhouse Ale, which is better than the fizz at most gigs.

RRR what a RF groupie you are!!!! Nearly went to the Bedford Gig, but not too disappointed now I have read the above.

On the subject of sound, going to gigs after EoTR just reminds me of how good the sound at EoTR usually is, apart from hearing a few people had problems with the Tipi, and that the main stage could have been louder (esp to combat the general chit chat going on further back). Went to see Cloud Control recently and the album is delightful, so was mightily disappointed with them live. The sound was so awful I had to go to the back of the room. Gone are the days, when if I still cannot hear the next morn, I must have had a good time.

The support were Big Deal. And they were a lot more relaxed then when I saw them in the Tipi. Second time around they were lovely if you like that kind of boy/girl guitar duo. I even bought the vinyl.

A couple of weeks ago I managed to get last min tickets for The Royal Albert Hall to see Metronomy. Wow they have come a long way since playing the first EoTR. We were sat to the side of the stage with a great view of the band and the whole of the Hall. Although they did some older stuff, the current band hasn't been together for so long, and therefore mostly played The English Riviera. Django Django were support. Great fun all round!

and BTW Riverlodge, enjoyed that MPH and the PS, but there were screams of "get that **** off" coming from the kitchen, when the last track came on. I believe he is supporting Leisure Soc at the Barbican in dec

Edited by perfectpassion

The Low Anthem + William Elliot Whitmore + Admiral Fallow - Leeds Irish Centre

The Low Anthem + William Elliot Whitmore + Simone Felice - London Roundhouse

Wye Oak + Callers - London XoYo

Crossing Border - Den Haag w/ Admiral Fallow / The Low Anthem, Apache Relay , Wye Oak, Simone Felice

The Apache Relay - Various London shows

The Felice Brothers + AA Bondy - London Koko

Mister Heavenly - London Cargo

--------

There are also a couple of secret shows coming up that i'm incredibly excited about but they ain't announced yet.

Went to Jens Lekman and Lia Ices on Monday. Jens is excellent, and although this was the fourth time I've seen him with no more than a handful of new songs, it was still a joyous, life-affirming set. Lia Ices supported (Jens has a knack of getting great support, other acts I've seen with him include Bon Iver!) and was good, but has re-arranged some of her songs and I preferred the versions she did last time I saw here which were more acoustic guitar and piano led.

Also bumped into forummer Zahidf there.

This coming week, I'm off to the Slaughtered Lamb for country singer Chelsea Crowell. Should be good, love her new album.

Haven't noticed too much issue with the sound at Koko myself (Lemonheads, Breeders, Animal Collective and dEUS), it's just the incredibly flat ground floor that doesn't benefit a short-arse like me and the incredibly expensive bar prices I have issues with.

Upcoming gigs? Bon Iver, (possibly) Summer Camp, Carter USM, Urge Overkill, Superchunk and The Leisure Society.

Went to Jens Lekman and Lia Ices on Monday. Jens is excellent, and although this was the fourth time I've seen him with no more than a handful of new songs, it was still a joyous, life-affirming set. Lia Ices supported (Jens has a knack of getting great support, other acts I've seen with him include Bon Iver!) and was good, but has re-arranged some of her songs and I preferred the versions she did last time I saw here which were more acoustic guitar and piano led.

Went to see Bon Iver last night. Saw him/them at EOTR in 08 and Glasto 09 as a four piece... very different now with the new album and 9 piece band. They make a phenonemnal sound. I think I prefer it the way it was, as it's abit more to my taste, but you have to admire the fact he's doing something quite different now. It was amazing but in quite a different way, I just wish the harmonies were abit clearer in the mix. There was some beatboxing and mad jazz claranet solo at one point! An epic gig, although part of me wishes he was playing the For Emma stuff in the same way, but it's pretty dull to stand still and the venues he's playing are pretty big these days. 8/10 :-)