WOMAD 2012 - 30th Anniversary

Guest 5co77ie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

all the rest of the womad acts will be announced tomorrow.

I have a suspicion that it might well include Damiam Marley as he's in the country for a date the day before, and some tweeting I did with womad suggested they might have a marley.

And Manu Chao are on tour with Tokyo Paradise Ska Orchestra .... and as the Ska Orch are already confirmed for WOMAD that's suggesting Manu Chao too.

If those guesses turn out to be right, and with Jimmy Cliff on the bill already, it's going to be an absolutely cracking line-up this year. Fingers crossed!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Linton Kwesi Johnson & The Dennis Bovell Dub Band (Thursday)

absolutely superb!!!!! :D

I've been wanting to see LKJ for years.. decades in fact!

And after the Dub Band's absolutely mind-blowing set on the Radio 3 stage s few years ago, it'll be fantastic if they get some time of their own as well as backing LKJ.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.efestival...2/120706c.shtml

Is this good news or bad news?! Is it really possible to run a festival with no police presence? Its just asking for trouble if you ask me.

I'd guess that it's no less of a negotiating position as it was for the police to make public they were opposing the licence because womad won't go along with their demands. After all, womad make clear that they'd rather run it with the police involved.

I think it's great that womad are standing up for themselves. The way the laws currently stand the police are able to pretty much do the exact same thing as The Krays used to - demand money from businesses with the threat of ruining that business if the business won't go along with them. The method is different of course because there's not also the threat of violence but it's really not very different at all.

The police are not only able to charge an event, but they're able to make up a rate per copper that they'll charge, and stipulate the number of police that the event needs. For the police this is nearly all 'free money' because little in the way of extra resources are being used.

I'm not even sure that it's fair enough for the police to be able to charge events, because it's displacement policing - if those people aren't at a festival site, they're elsewhere in the country and need no less policing than they do at a festival.

Hi Guys,

I am working for Creative Wiltshire and this year we are putting together an installation called "Twist Again" to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of this beautiful festival.

We are asking as many people as possible to post their photos of WOMAD over the years to this site:

womad.co.uk/twistagain/

Please ask your friends and family and go have a dig through your old photos in the attic and see if you can find some pre digital, pre 2000s - the older the better!

It would be really great to have you all feature in this installation, look out for us, and your photos at the festival.

We're counting down the days and I'm sure you are too.

Deadline is this Friday (13th July) so please get on it asap!

Many thanks,

Creative Wiltshire

Gurrumul cancels European tour dates for July 2012

Australian singer and musician Gurrumul has cancelled his forthcoming

European performances due to ill health. The news was announced via his

website www.gurrumul.com:

"Due to ongoing health issues Gurrumul has had to cancel his July European

tour. He is currently in the care of his immediate family."

Having recently performed at HM Queen Elizabeth's Jubilee concert Gurrumul

was due to return to Europe for the following run of festival shows:

July 13 Riddu Riddu Festival, Kajford, Norway

July 15 Sommarscen, Malmo, Sweden

July 21 BT River of Music, Greenwich, London, UK

July 22 La Mar Du Musicas Festival, Plaza del Ayuntamiento, nr Alicante,

Spain

July 24 Blue Balls Festival, Lucerne, Switzerland

July 26 FMM Sines, Lisbon, Portugal

July 28 WOMAD, Charlton Park, UK

Geojay there'll be a few eFestivallers on site that weekend, I'll be there reviewing.