WOMAD 2012 - 30th Anniversary

Guest 5co77ie

It's the 30th Anniversary of WOMAD next year. I know they'd like to get Manu Chao, but Paul Simon is set to take his 1986 album ‘Graceland’ on the road in 2012, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the 1987 tour of the album, that would be fantastic for WOMAD - itt would have been nice for Simon to have played more of it at glastonbury, and he has been scratching Gabriel's back recently. I also hope they get Kanda Bongo Man back as he was on the line-up for the first one.

Who else do you think may be there next summer?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My unrealistic expectations include....

Bootsy Collins :-) They always have a soul/funk legend so I think he'd be perfect.

They also like to book a jazz legend now & again so how about someone like Pharoah Sanders.

I loved Moussu T e lei Jovents when they appeared at Rivermead some years ago, so if they could be persuaded back I'd be happy. If not them then how about Tatou's other band Massilia Sound System who I've always wanted to see.

ummmmmmmm and a bunch of unexpected delights.

Edited by Chas

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

full line-up for WOMADelaide has been announced there's a few here that it would be nice to watch in the summer:

Staff Benda Bilili (Democratic Republic of Congo), Tinariwen (Mali), Gurrumul (Australia), Jinja Safari (Australia), Baaba Maal (Senegal), Sharon Shannon Big Band (Ireland), First Aid Kit (Sweden), Dirty Three (Australia), The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain (UK), Chic (USA), Joe Bataan & the I Like It Like That Orchestra (Phillipines/USA/Australia), Chapelier Fou (France), Blue King Brown (Australia), Tété (Senegal/France), Pajama Club (New Zealand), Shantala Shivalingappa (India), Eddi Reader (Scotland), Mad Professor (UK), Johnny Clegg (South Africa), Dobet Gnahoré (Ivory Coast), Penguin Cafe (UK), Bonobo (UK), Groundation (Jamaica/USA), Grace Barbé (Seychelles/Australia), Master Drummers of Burundi (Burundi), Diego Guerrero y El Solar de Artistas (Spain), Electric Wire Hustle (New Zealand), DJ Krush (Japan), Cambodian Space Project (Cambodia/France/Australia), Lo'Jo (France), The Barons of Tang (Australia), Shane Howard (Australia), Toninho Ferragutti & Alessandro Kramer (Brazil), Shivkumar Sharma (India), TORI Ensemble (Korea), Picture Box Orchestra (Australia/UK/India), Ponydance Theatre Company (Ireland), Le Trio Joubran (Palestine), Anda Union (China), Mahala Rai Banda (Romania), Kimmo Pohjonen (Finland), Bunna Lawrie (Australia), JUMPS (Australia), The Pigram Brothers (Australia), Nano Stern & the Sindicato (Chile), Mo'Horizons (Germany), Frigg (Finland/Norway), La Voce Della Luna (Australia), Melbourne Ska Orchestra (Australia), Pascals (Japan), Narasirato (Solomon Islands), The Pitts Family Circus (Australia), The Bombay Royale (Australia), Chris Finnen (Australia), Tenzin Choegyal & Monks of TIBET (Tibet/Australia), The Bearded Gypsy Band (Australia), Jay Hoad Band (Australia/Fiji), Gramophone Man (Australia), Two Pianos "Canto Ostinato by Simeon Ten Holt" (Australia), and Sivouplait (Japan)

Edited by 5co77ie

• 2 weeks later...

It was Red Rain, sounded fab with the orchestra but is also on the Hit album.

I sat there through Solsbury Hill just in a trance, then said to my husband what a fab 5 minutes I have just had.

Would love him to be at Womad.

Gabriel has done WOMAD a couple of times in recent years ... and I've got to say it's been unfortunately rather dull.

Anyway, it definitely won't be dull this year .... word has just reached me that they've got Jimmy Cliff this year. Get in! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've thought about going for a fair while... but always thought that, as good as the lineups are (and they have looked great), its going to be far too middle class and reserved for some of the great acts they have to really "kick off" (for want of a better expression)

My mate saw Gogol Bordello at Womad last year, and said songs were greeted with a sincere, but slightly underwhelming response clap at the end of each tune. When I saw them at boomtown the crowd were going crazy.

Reminds me of seeing the Beat at Wychwood and a fair few people not bothering to get out of their deck chairs (they may have put their independents down during 'mirror on the bathroom though'.... maybe). It was nothing like the The Beat at Endorse-it - where they could see how much we were all into it.

Am I wrong, is this all a bit unfair?

I've thought about going for a fair while... but always thought that, as good as the lineups are (and they have looked great), its going to be far too middle class and reserved for some of the great acts they have to really "kick off" (for want of a better expression)

My mate saw Gogol Bordello at Womad last year, and said songs were greeted with a sincere, but slightly underwhelming response clap at the end of each tune. When I saw them at boomtown the crowd were going crazy.

Reminds me of seeing the Beat at Wychwood and a fair few people not bothering to get out of their deck chairs (they may have put their independents down during 'mirror on the bathroom though'.... maybe). It was nothing like the The Beat at Endorse-it - where they could see how much we were all into it.

Am I wrong, is this all a bit unfair?

that's defo wrong. Gogol went down a storm.

it can definitely be a bit on the sedate side and middle class, but it's defo nowhere near as bad as your mate painted it.

And anyway, that sedate/middle class side has it's up-side, in that it's a festival that's not full of arseholes. But it does have a lot of families and beardy types, which means it's not nuts. It's not a festival with everyone dashing around to catch every must-see band, but that's a part of its charm. It gives you a chance to explore what it has on offer.

When it used to be at Reading I used to describe it as as Islington's day out :lol: .... the move to Wiltshire has changed the crowd a little for the better, as those Islington types get a nose-bleed if they venture too far from London :P

I'm a long way from being any sort of world music expert - there's normally less than 10 acts on the bill I know any music of - but I always find it one of the most enjoyable festivals of the summer. Along with Glastonbury it's the only festival I would never want to miss.

• 1 month later...

Jimmy Cliff now has the womad date on his website - he's playing on the Friday.

I have a hunch they might also have Junior Murvin, just on the basis of his tourdates. I hope I'm not wrong about that one.

And I've been hassling them on twitter to book Stephen Marley. I reckon their teasing reply says they don't have him, but others have told me they read it the other way. I'll be exceedingly chuffed if they did have him.

Am I giving away that I like reggae? :P

• 2 weeks later...