NFL

Ed209

Nope, it's not a jot like it.

Brits go to watch the game. Yanks go to eat pop corn and chat.

Yes, that's EXACTLY why 'most yanks' pay $100+ a ticket, to sit in all weathers and eat popcorn.

I can only assume you went to see someone like a godawful Dolphins team, and were sat way up high in the single-game ticket section with a load of holiday makers. Or were in hospitality.

Yes, that's EXACTLY why 'most yanks' pay $100+ a ticket, to sit in all weathers and eat popcorn.

I can only assume you went to see someone like a godawful Dolphins team, and were sat way up high in the single-game ticket section with a load of holiday makers. Or were in hospitality.

lol - you say it doesn't happen then assume lots of situations where you can see it happening. :lol:

lol - you say it doesn't happen then assume lots of situations where you can see it happening. :lol:

I must have missed the day at school where we learned that two is "lots". And where those two situations involve "most yanks".

And are you seriously saying neither of those situations occur at British football games?

I must have missed the day at school where we learned that two is "lots". And where those two situations involve "most yanks".

And are you seriously saying neither of those situations occur at British football games?

I've never seen anything at a footie game in the UK like I've seen at a game in the USA.

Your assumptions were way off too, BTW.

I think Football Football (refuse to use the 'S' word) and American Football are not necessarily a fair comparison. They are obviously vastly different in terms of pace and length that the spectator experience is obviously going to be different.

I would maybe say Cricket and American Football are closer comparisons. Short bursts of action, highly tactical, slower pace sporting experiences. If you go to a cricket match then there's a bit more milling about, people are sitting around, chatting etc..

I wouldn't say that a cricket spectator finds the game boring though. That's rediculous. They're fascinated by it. Most of the conversations will be about the cricket going on, talking tactics, field positions, etc. The same at an American Football game, just with the plays etc.

To say americans are bored by American Football is utterly rediculous. They absolutely worship the game (there are variations in this depending on what part of the states you're in). Its not just NFL either. You just have to look at how important the game is to College and high school communities as well. I would say your average american is far more clued up and knowledgeable about American Football than your average English person is about football football. It crosses the gender divide much more than our game as well.

Like cricket, it takes a lot of time to get to know the game, it has many levels of complexity to it, which is why people new to the game may think its boring. But Americans really know their sport and have a genuine love for the it.

I think Football Football (refuse to use the 'S' word) and American Football are not necessarily a fair comparison. They are obviously vastly different in terms of pace and length that the spectator experience is obviously going to be different.

I would maybe say Cricket and American Football are closer comparisons. Short bursts of action, highly tactical, slower pace sporting experiences. If you go to a cricket match then there's a bit more milling about, people are sitting around, chatting etc..

I wouldn't say that a cricket spectator finds the game boring though. That's rediculous. They're fascinated by it. Most of the conversations will be about the cricket going on, talking tactics, field positions, etc. The same at an American Football game, just with the plays etc.

To say americans are bored by American Football is utterly rediculous. They absolutely worship the game (there are variations in this depending on what part of the states you're in). Its not just NFL either. You just have to look at how important the game is to College and high school communities as well. I would say your average american is far more clued up and knowledgeable about American Football than your average English person is about football football. It crosses the gender divide much more than our game as well.

Like cricket, it takes a lot of time to get to know the game, it has many levels of complexity to it, which is why people new to the game may think its boring. But Americans really know their sport and have a genuine love for the it.

perhaps they like games that suit their limited attention span? :P

One game... A long time ago...

Any conclusions drawn from this are obviously going to be some what unreliable...

I have been to six games now... Other than the pre-game tailgating which something quite special (loved tailgating) I would say the crowd was very similar to a football crowd in the UK (although more women - always a good thing). People where obviously chatting amongst themselves etc but certainly not at the expense of the game.

My own limited experience revolves around Giant Stadium and the Met Life.

so first off it's bullshit, and now it's a happening that should be ignored because it doesn't match what you believe to be your own more worthwhile but admitted 'limited experiences' .

OK, glad we've cleared that up with such deep and useful analysis. PMSL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

so first off it's bullshit, and now it's a happening that should be ignored because it doesn't match what you believe to be your own more worthwhile but admitted 'limited experiences' .

OK, glad we've cleared that up with such deep and useful analysis. PMSL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No less deep and useful than writing off 'most yanks' as there for just for the popcorn and chat.

You're always going to get the prawn sandwich/piss-up brigade, at all major sports events. Association football, American football, both codes of rugby, cricket, F1, rowing, darts... (ok, maybe not snooker or bowls). And within the sports different crowds or different games will attract different levels of it.

Its not like its unheard of for people at gigs not to pay attention the band either.

(Ironically the Superbowl can be one of the worst games for fan excitement, because similar to World Cup matches or Champions League finals so many of the tickets go to sponsors/other teams etc etc.)

Yep.

But the only place I've ever seen the WHOLE stadium full of them - well, not a "prawn sandwich/piss-up brigade", but what you might call a chav version of that - is at American sports (both yank footie and baseball).

Can't speak for NFL, but have been to quite a few Baseball games (Fenway park, Yankee stadium, Citi Field, Angel Stadium) The crowds there seemed fine. More family orientated in general but definitely plenty of passionate fans.

Can't speak for NFL, but have been to quite a few Baseball games (Fenway park, Yankee stadium, Citi Field, Angel Stadium) The crowds there seemed fine. More family orientated in general but definitely plenty of passionate fans.

I've not said they're not passionate. I guess it takes a passion to get them there in the first place. After all, they could do the social without having a background game going on. But it's definitely been the case in my limited experience that the game is the background and not the foreground. Perhaps it's a uniquely SF thing, I've no idea. I've merely said what I've seen.

I've not said they're not passionate. I guess it takes a passion to get them there in the first place. After all, they could do the social without having a background game going on. But it's definitely been the case in my limited experience that the game is the background and not the foreground. Perhaps it's a uniquely SF thing, I've no idea. I've merely said what I've seen.

Fair enough.

I think what doesn't help the matter is NFL and MLB as a spectacle in the stadium is a very stop-start slow paced affair, people at home have adverts to keep them entertained.

I suppose the comparison might be the Barmy army that go to watch the cricket, they seem to be there for the background rather than the foreground as you put it.

If you go to a NBA or NHL game the crowd are much more focussed on the game.

Only NFL game I've been to was in SF, about 6 or 7 years ago when the 49ers were rubbish which meant I was able to get a ticket the day before. The stadium was pretty much full though and the atmosphere was closest to a british football crowd that I experienced of all the major sports in North America (although a hockey game in Montreal also came close, they were even making some noise without being told to and had songs and everything, and I did see a few fights kicking off at a Cubs game)

I've been to three NFL games and the atmosphere is completely different to football. I much prefer the atmosphere at football, because it is mainly created by the segregation of the fans. At NFL the fans are in together so its a bit more relaxed, but the atmosphere created by the PA, music and cheerleaders is excellent and the three hours just fly by.

But give me segregated old fashioned football grounds over sitting next to a NY Jets fan while eating a hot dog any day.

The crowd at an NFL game is nothing like the crowd at a UK football game in my experience.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, agreed. Would really love to go a college game. They look insane. Have a good friend who's a TCU fan, they're in the Big 12 next year so going to go to try and go to the Longhorns TCU thanksgiving game. Would like to go to the Red River shoot out as well, although I've heard they're fairly unpleasant affairs.

I still find it crazy places like Alabama state can fill 100 000 capacity stadiums every week.

Edited by Ed209

Yeah, agreed. Would really love to go a college game. They look insane. Have a good friend who's a TCU fan, they're in the Big 12 next year so going to go to try and go to the Longhorns TCU thanksgiving game. Would like to go to the Red River shoot out as well, although I've heard they're fairly unpleasant affairs.

I still find it crazy places like Alabama state can fill 100 000 capacity stadiums every week.

What else you gonna do in Alabama?

• 1 month later...