NFL

Ed209

Anyone going to be following this season? Saints @ Packers opening it up tonight. Pats and Packers are favourites I'd say, but the Eagles have had an amazing time with the trades and free agents in the off-season and there's a lot of hype surrounding them at the moment. Consensus seems to be that it might be a year too early for them though, plus that division is fairly solid.

Should be a great season though. I'm a Packers fan so my money's on them, they're looking stronger this season and Rodgers is going to boss it, but history says repeats are a very rare thing.

Any thoughts? Anyone going to the Bears-Bucs game at wembley?

My heart can't go anywhere else but the Steelers :P They'll be there or thereabouts.

Looking elsewhere, i can't see much beyond the usual suspects; the Pats, Packers, Bears, Jets, Falcons & Saints will all likely be up there. The Eagles will probbaly win their - competitive but relatively poor - division, but I don't see them winning a championship with Vick at QB, he just doesn't have the ability to read the field.

The Colts face an important year- Peyton is out for a while, if not forever, with neck problems. He's won a Superbowl, and your neck isn't something you put at risk.

After half an hour, I'm reassured that Sky's coverage is as dodgy as ever presenter/pundit wise. Very happy to see the coverage of the UK game though (I've played and lost against teams coached by all of the first 3 coaches featured in the BAFCA report :P)

And London Blitz EFAF Cup final coverage at half-time! Excellent!

Yeah Sky's coverage is bobbins. The anchor is OK, but the english pundit they have is totally lame. I'm stateside now with the full glory of NFL sunday ticket so I'm in sports heaven.

Hear what your saying about the Eagles. That division is very competitive. The Cowboy fans here are totally deluded, they think they'll win it. Can't see them getting any better than 3rd. Real shame about Manning as well. Looks like it could be career over for him. Not sure what there back-up QB is like, but he's got a rough season ahead having to step into Peyton's shoes.

Great game lastnight. Rodgers looked like a man who is in the form of his life right now. Throwing that ball with ease.

Check out Cobb's 108 yard return. Second longest in NFL history. Not bad for the Rookie's first game in the league.

can't seem to find the media embedding? edit: it does it automatically .. nice

Edited by Ed209

Yeah, that flip he did was amazing/amazingly lucky. Great start to the season. Both teams look the real deal, but a few crucial plays went the Packers way. Could easily see them both again in the NFC championship game.

Has there been much talk about the pass interference call at the end of the game over there? I thought it was incredibly soft.

Next up; Steelers-Ravens. Just as big a game, I don't think it'll be as half as pretty though. Time for some proper football :)

Edit; arent the Dallas fans delusional every year? :P I'm sure there was lots of talk this tine last year about them going to the Superbowl in the house that Jerry built?

Edited by Gre

The NFL's always a bit of a reality shock after watching a lot of college Football (congrats to Lee Corso for being my new avatar by the way). For some reason my Sky box has decided to fail to record the Packers game twice now, last opportunity is later tonight. Fingers crossed

Jets-Eagles Superbowl matchup is my prediction, yes indeed, I am drinking that Kool-Aid

Edited by Alcatraz

Yeah, that flip he did was amazing/amazingly lucky. Great start to the season. Both teams look the real deal, but a few crucial plays went the Packers way. Could easily see them both again in the NFC championship game.

Has there been much talk about the pass interference call at the end of the game over there? I thought it was incredibly soft.

Next up; Steelers-Ravens. Just as big a game, I don't think it'll be as half as pretty though. Time for some proper football :)

Edit; arent the Dallas fans delusional every year? :P I'm sure there was lots of talk this tine last year about them going to the Superbowl in the house that Jerry built?

I was watching it in a bar so I wasn't getting much of the commetry and haven't read any game reports yet. It looked soft though.

Not a fan of the new kick off position either, they almost all going for the touchback now (apart from Cobb last night). The game's lost something. Apparently for safety reasons. Its a tough sport though, deal with it.

I've only be here a couple of months, but it hasn't taken me long to dislike the Cowboys. They really do think the world revolves around the cowboys stadium and that this year will be their year. After all, when asked why he put a retractable roof on the cowboys stadium Jerry replied "so God can watch his favourite team". Sums them up well. Still can't wait for the two games I have tickets for though, even though I have to stomach the $50 car parking

Just wondering if people are still so hot on the Steelers after today's showing?

Awful awful awful awful awful.

*But* they lost mostly due to turnovers. And luck is a large part of turnovers. Committing and then losing 4 out of 4 fumbles is very unlucky. And all 3 interceptions were down to bad throws rather than bad decisions or excellent coverage.

When they weren't throwing the ball away, they were able to move it. And the D will come through like it always does. I don't think last night a good indication of the season ahead.

*removes blinkers*

That all said, Baltimore looked fantastic. Their D is as strong as ever, and their O really looks like its there this year. The return match on 6th November should be a cracker.

(also, grr on accidentally spoling Dallas-Jets for myself just now by going to nfl.com to look at the Steelers-Ravens stats. Sounds like a cracker.)

(also, grr on accidentally spoling Dallas-Jets for myself just now by going to nfl.com to look at the Steelers-Ravens stats. Sounds like a cracker.)

The second half was, the first half probably isn't worth bothering with. I got out of the bar quick last night. Cowboys fans are terrible losers.

It's been the weakest division for a while now. Whoever tops it will only be with a 10-6 record at best, more likely a 9-7

Or 7-9 like last year. That was insane. First time in history a team has gone through with a losing record. Mind, they redeemed themselves by beating the presiding superbowl champions. I'll say 8-8 this year. And I'll call the Cardinals or 49ers. 49ers are looking good at the moment, but they'll faulter.

Or 7-9 like last year. That was insane. First time in history a team has gone through with a losing record. Mind, they redeemed themselves by beating the presiding superbowl champions. I'll say 8-8 this year. And I'll call the Cardinals or 49ers. 49ers are looking good at the moment, but they'll faulter.

49ers looked OK first half against the cowboys, but their faulter has already started. Ended up losing in OT to a rather dodgy looking cowboys with a not very convincing Romo.

Off to see Seattle @ Dallas in a few weeks, could be a close game and a must win for the Cowboys if they have any hope of getting out of that division, which they don't.

49ers looked OK first half against the cowboys, but their faulter has already started. Ended up losing in OT to a rather dodgy looking cowboys with a not very convincing Romo.

Off to see Seattle @ Dallas in a few weeks, could be a close game and a must win for the Cowboys if they have any hope of getting out of that division, which they don't.

I quite like the guy, but my respect for him after Sunday has rocketed. Remember it was a Tony Romo with cracked ribs and a punctured lung that lead the Cowboys to a win. I've got NFC East as the tightest division. Can make a good case for every team getting out of it, it won't be the Eagles steamrolling it as everyone had it down to be.

Once Bradford gets going (and he will), Rams have NFC West on a 9-7.

I quite like the guy, but my respect for him after Sunday has rocketed. Remember it was a Tony Romo with cracked ribs and a punctured lung that lead the Cowboys to a win. I've got NFC East as the tightest division. Can make a good case for every team getting out of it, it won't be the Eagles steamrolling it as everyone had it down to be.

Funnily enough Romo looked much better once he had fucked his ribs. He wasn't playing great until then and had a fairly unconvincing game against the jets, especially when it game down to the end of the 4th. Maybe I'm just getting brainwashed by the cowboys faithful, but Romo gets *a lot* of stick over here

Well if the Cowboys can beat the Redskins playing *that* badly, then there's hope for them yet. Fair play to Romo. He took some big hits but kept on going. Something needs to be done about their offence though. There were 4 or 5 times last night where the Cowboys center snapped when Romo wasn't ready. It was a total embarrasment.

Meanwhile my packs keep rolling on, 3-0 without really breaking a sweat. Easy life.

Eagles are too messy. Giants look slow. Cowboys. Well, they're the Cowboys. And the Redskins, who are my second team from my youth, are nothing more than a dark horse.

Rams you say. Hmmm. The Hawks have the youngest team in the league with a great college coach. I reckon enthusiasm may take them through once it gets going. Big tough teams are going to smash them though.